Swimming Pool options

/ Swimming Pool options #81  
About 10 years ago when I lived in Florida swimming pools were quite popular, but the chlorine was not. I talked to one person who was using silver & copper electrodes in the recirculating system instead of the chlorine. He said it worked well. I've never had a pool, but silver is used to kill bacteria type organisms while being safe for humans. Here's some info on it:

The silver in silverware

Even early civilizations knew the value of silver as a way to make utensils. But what they might not have realized is that silver is such a relatively safe metal that it actually has anti-septic properties. Bottom line: silver kills germs, bacteria, and fungi and even better, and avoids killing us because its toxicity is not at the level of other heavy metals.

Because of this, silver makes an ideal metal for us to use to touch our food. Even the ancient Phoenicians used silver to store wine, water, and vinegar, helping their drinks to retain their potency without spoiling. Before the development of antibiotics, silver was often used as a disinfectant.

Needless to say, silver逞エ properties have obvious implications in the kitchen. As antibiotics have developed, silver has fallen to the wayside in terms of its medicinal uses, but it continues to make a strong, durable kitchen utensil.

Silver is a relatively soft metal that, like gold, can be dented rather easily in its pure form. This is the reason for the 貔アite test where you bite down on a piece of gold in order to test its authenticity if it is soft enough to make a small dent in, you know you豎*e dealing with a fairly abundant amount of the metal.

Because silver is relatively soft, this precious metal will often actually appear in silverware as sterling silver, which is a mixture of silver and other metals that contains at least 92.5% silver. The addition of other metals helps give additional durability and hardness to the silverware. gameofstone.ca/masonry-repair/brick/

If I were to get a pool, the silver ions is what I'd use, but I have no idea as to the cost. But, all the good reports I've heard about it, I wouldn't care about the cost.

Silver is great for purifying water and killing all germs. I also use silver to clean the pool. I have had no problems with algae.

Last edited:
   / Swimming Pool options #82  

Attachments

• DJI_0052.JPG
    DJI_0052.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 71
   / Swimming Pool options #83  
This is what I'm leaning towards and using bromine. I have a hot tub and chlorine makes my skin feel itchy afterwards.

Because of the dogs, we where thinking that we had to go with salt water for their safety, but after we now realize that we where being overly cautious and there isn't any reason to go with a salt water system.

Summer hit here yesterday. We've had a very mild spring, which meant I haven't put any thought or effort into the pool all year. Yesterday it got warm and HUMID!!! I think I'm going to work on the pool this weekend and see if I can get my collection of rocks to look like a decent water fall in the corner of the pool. Currently we have a pot for plants with a plastic flat thing for fountains in it to create a water fall. This wasn't something that I had planned on, but as it evolved, my wife fell in love with the sound it creates. My goal is to create something more pleasing to look at, and also hide the filter, which is so tall that it is visible behind the pool. If I can get the water fall feature working, I'll fill the pool so we can use it for Fathers Day.

View attachment 701975
Yes there is... a super easy way to maintain your pool!

I put a slide in for my fountain.

/ Swimming Pool options #84  
I have a salt water pool, chlorine is generated from the salt. It's never excessive, never makes me itch. Can't speak to eye sensitivity since I always wear goggles.

It is all very low maintenance which I like. Easily adjustable via various controls on the chlorine generating system. I toss a couple hundred pounds of salt in in the spring and it's ready to go the rest of the season. My bigger chemistry issue is with PH balance, as my pool tends to be fairly alkaline, presumably from some leeching action with the cement, since my well water normally tends toward the acidic. But, dump in some acid and I'm good to go.

/ Swimming Pool options #85  
I have a salt water pool, chlorine is generated from the salt. It's never excessive, never makes me itch. Can't speak to eye sensitivity since I always wear goggles.

It is all very low maintenance which I like. Easily adjustable via various controls on the chlorine generating system. I toss a couple hundred pounds of salt in in the spring and it's ready to go the rest of the season. My bigger chemistry issue is with PH balance, as my pool tends to be fairly alkaline, presumably from some leeching action with the cement, since my well water normally tends toward the acidic. But, dump in some acid and I'm good to go.

Same

IMG_4903.jpg

IMG_4719.jpg

/ Swimming Pool options #86  

The salt level in your pool should be maintained around 3200 parts per million. Human tears are around 6000 parts per million. So there's less salt in a saltwater pool than there are in your own tears. You can open your eyes in a salt water pool no problem and feel nothing. It's very nice! (y)

/ Swimming Pool options #89  
Thanks. One is for the in-ground hot tub.
Thought maybe you could crank up the current for a lazy river. :)

Our 1.5 hp pump went dead. All they had were 2hp pumps. Same price. OK.
Above ground 24' round pool gets a nice current that sends us around on our inner tubes about once per minute. Very relaxing and all the dirt gets swept to the middle.

/ Swimming Pool options #90  
I use to have a hot tub and used bromine. When I got out it was very itchy on my skin. My skin has never been itchy, or had funny feeling on my skin with chlorine.
Reason I always stayed with chlorine is..A local guy that has installed inground pools for about 50 years told me once, that he only recommends chlorine, even though he would make more money selling the chemicals and generator, etc, for the salt system.
He also said that the salt was worse on pump seals than chlorine.