Swimming Pool options

/ Swimming Pool options #91  
I use to have a hot tub and used bromine. When I got out it was very itchy on my skin. My skin has never been itchy, or had funny feeling on my skin with chlorine.
Reason I always stayed with chlorine is..A local guy that has installed inground pools for about 50 years told me once, that he only recommends chlorine, even though he would make more money selling the chemicals and generator, etc, for the salt system.
He also said that the salt was worse on pump seals than chlorine.
I know salt is hard on metals. And I know a salt water pool costs more in electricity to run VS a chlorine pool because the salt water chlorine generator pulls amps. However, chemical usage is way, WAY less with a salt water pool, so I don't think that guy knew what he was talking about.

/ Swimming Pool options #92  
I'm with @MossRoad. Yes salt (Cl-) is hard on metal, especially cheap stainless, but it makes for a robust pool chemistry that should use a great deal less chemical.

Personally, I would choose salt over chlorine over bromine. Brominated organics aren't very nice.

All the best,

Peter

/ Swimming Pool options #94  
Seems to be a lot of people pushing the clorine for pools,
many years ago when my kids were young I had a pool for them and used the Baquacil line of chemicals for a while.
Then I switched over to a hydrogen peroxide mixer that was much better.
I learned about using the hydrogen peroxide from dairy advisors concerned with non treated water for milk cows.
Then there are actual health benefits from very diluted hydrogen peroxide.

/ Swimming Pool options #96  
Not everyone is a multimillionaire. Your annual electric bill is likely considerably more than I paid for my house and property.

Yes! Thank goodness for that!

/ Swimming Pool options #97  
See, that's the beauty of a salt water pool... it IS a chlorine pool. Except that you generate the chlorine from the salt in the water. When the chlorine breaks down, it reverts back to salt. Salt cannot evaporate, therefore, you never have to add salt unless there's a large rain event that would dilute the salt concentration by overflowing the pool.

/ Swimming Pool options #98  
Yes! Thank goodness for that!
:ROFLMAO:

My wife and I are very frugal. We make average wages. One of the small luxuries we allow ourselves is a 24' above ground swimming pool. It is definitely a luxury item. So is a hot tub. So is a pleasure boat. Recreational toys like snowmobiles and dirt bikes. A camper perhaps. Cable TV. A new Panama hat Mr. Bond?

5EB42404-E248-4C31-945D-3D8C3C347CDF.jpeg

/ Swimming Pool options #100  
I know salt is hard on metals. And I know a salt water pool costs more in electricity to run VS a chlorine pool because the salt water chlorine generator pulls amps. However, chemical usage is way, WAY less with a salt water pool, so I don't think that guy knew what he was talking ab he's still in business and installing pools.. Guess he knows something or he would have been out of business by now
generator up front cost. generator up keep cost. more electricity use. more pump parts / maintenance ?, salt cost. and if the water does get out of whack ????? Cheaper to operate salt ?

HUMMMMMM..Maybe he doesn't know as much as you about pools, but he's still in business and still installing pools.
I would think he knows a wee bit more than the novice pool user /owner.

As for myself. I have now owned a pool for 20+ years and have never had issues using chlorine. It always has kept my water clear and clean with little effort

Last edited: