Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms!

/ Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms! #51  
Offside is reward for playing bad defense. As Steppenwolf said except not offside if the player does not participate or assist offense

/ Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms! #52  
So there's two different explanations for the same rule right there. Thanks fellas. Which one is correct? :unsure:

/ Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms! #53  
The player the ball is played to can't be past the defenders "at the time the ball is put into motion" . Watch a few European games, it becomes quite evident.

/ Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms! #54  
Offside is reward for playing bad defense. As Steppenwolf said except not offside if the player does not participate or assist offense
I watched a few videos. Your explanation makes sense. Thanks.

/ Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms! #56  
They are in offside position, but no penalty if they do affect the defense .
The player the ball is played to can't be past the defenders "at the time the ball is put into motion" . Watch a few European games, it becomes quite evident.

/ Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms! #57  

As a former hockey player, I just applied hockey rules in my mind when my son played soccer!

I understand the hockey offside rule. The puck has to cross the blue line before anyone on the offensive team. That's a huge zone, and, you don't have to pay attention to any of the defending players' positions on the ice. It's nothing like the soccer offside rule.

/ Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms! #58  

Basketball is pretty much the same.

One player can stay under his basket and if the other 4 prevent a basket, they get an easy layup.

But basketball has never had an offside rule.

MoKelly

/ Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms! #59  
Moss road
same rule I just added a small rarely used variation

/ Why I quit hating soccer.....besides the soccer moms! #60  
So, I keep trying to wrap my head around the logic of the offside rule. You would think an aggressive offense would want to out hustle the defense and get ahead of them.

If the same rule applied to basketball, you would not have a fast break, you'd have a half-fast break :)