EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #21  
Did your Chevelle come from the factory with any pollution control devices?
I'm not sure if there was any pollution control devices. I think not. But it did not come from the factory with the much modified 454 engine, headers and narrowed Ford nine inch rear-end.

The car is registered as how it is modified with it's Hobbiest plates.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #22  
Here's the thing. What the EPA is doing isn't going after the high rollers (NASCAR, Indy) - they are going after the grass roots side. More importantly the side of the business that is made up of a whole bunch of blue collar small businesses. They are going after Joe Citizen who always dreamed about being Mario Andretti or Big Daddy Don Garlits buys a clapped out Porsche or Mustang GT and builds themselves a car in their garage to take to tame the twisty tracks or be king of the 1/4 mile on Saturday night at the drag strip. Drift cars, rock crawlers and mud racers etc etc etc are being targeted by this. I make my living in the automotive aftermarket. The performance and racing side, the SEMA side, of the business is 100% where the innovation comes from. All the major automakers follow the trends born there closely. My entire career I've seen things born from the performance enthusiast side end up in production cars 5 or 10 years down the road.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #23  
You can blame this whole thing pretty much on the folks putting tuners on their diesel trucks and rolling coal all over town. People got sick of it and complained.
So we destroy the entire diesel truck industry for a tiny segment of punks.
Yep, that’s the way the world has gone.
Punish the majority who do nothing wrong for a tiny minority who break the rules.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #24  
The EPA is a rogue agency run by eco-terrorists that hate capitalism, America and you.

period
Sadly, that is 100% fact.
Couldn't have been said better.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #25  
I'm not sure if there was any pollution control devices. I think not. But it did not come from the factory with the much modified 454 engine, headers and narrowed Ford nine inch rear-end.

The car is registered as how it is modified with it's Hobbiest plates.

I'm not sure I understand your point.
My point is the EPA stuff being talked about here only effects removal/deactivation/bypassing etc., of emissions control devices that were installed from the factory. Your car didn't have any. It's not effected.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #26  
So we destroy the entire diesel truck industry for a tiny segment of punks.
Yep, that’s the way the world has gone.
Punish the majority who do nothing wrong for a tiny minority who break the rules.
What are you talking about? Disabling emissions equipment on street vehicles has always been against the law. The majority who do nothing wrong are not getting punished. The EPA was never concerned with people taking a street car, stripping off the pollution equipment, and then running it in competition. However, people kept that pollution control equipment deleted, then ran it on the street.

This discussion about the EPA doing this has been going on since around 2016. Why is it just blowing up today?

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #27  
My point is the EPA stuff being talked about here only effects removal/deactivation/bypassing etc., of emissions control devices that were installed from the factory. Your car didn't have any. It's not effected.
I don't think that is true. After looking at my quote from the op and reviewing the link he posted, the EPA is talking about aftermarket high performance parts ( exhaust = headers ) as well as emissions equipment. Not just solely the latter.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #28  
What are you talking about? Disabling emissions equipment on street vehicles has always been against the law. The majority who do nothing wrong are not getting punished. The EPA was never concerned with people taking a street car, stripping off the pollution equipment, and then running it in competition. However, people kept that pollution control equipment deleted, then ran it on the street.

This discussion about the EPA doing this has been going on since around 2016. Why is it just blowing up today?
Because they are now going after vehicles that are not operated on the street. Its a gross overreach and downright assanine policy enforcement. There is no common sense to the enforcement and the EPA is casting a wide net that effects off road use only (race etc.) vehicles.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #29  
The states could easily do this by not issuing plates to modified vehicles. If you want to drive in on public streets and roads, it needs to be eligible.

/ EPA attempting to limit Internal Combustion vehicles used for Racing #30  
The states could easily do this by not issuing plates to modified vehicles. If you want to drive in on public streets and roads, it needs to be eligible.
The EPA is going after vehicles that aren't registered, these are dedicated race cars that have been converted from regular production cars and are not used on public roadways.

Status
Not open for further replies.