Logging one of my homes

/ Logging one of my homes #1  

bill9068

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5510, Kubota BX25D, Bobcat S130, Bobcat 742.
Started logging at my log home a couple weeks ago. 60 acres taking 458 trees.
DA935D5C-C6AD-4007-A000-DC6AE0270AFD.jpeg

/ Logging one of my homes
C0069B4B-C795-49F3-BB72-59C5FD463CAD.jpeg

/ Logging one of my homes #3  
What species? I logged about 20 acres of Douglas fir a while back. I don't recall the number of trees, but got $735/M and cleared about $50k after expenses and taxes, plus years of firewood from non-commercial trees. The logger I hired did a really nice job and didn't leave slash all over, just a few neat piles that I burned the next winter.

/ Logging one of my homes
A mix of hickory, white oak, black oak, poplar, all the ash trees and a few other species. My forester estimated 100k I ended up getting 87k after expenses.
712261F1-82E6-4407-A26A-BE4A8D3FF887.jpeg

/ Logging one of my homes #5  
I had my 80 acres selectively logged about twenty years ago. All Ponderosa pine. Turned all the really old pine into some lumber. Myself, the logger & the mill all made a little money.

I ended up with a few slash piles that I intended to chip. The local quail found these slash pile before I got around to chipping. Sooo... I just left them and they have become favorite spots for many types of birds.

/ Logging one of my homes #6  
I left a couple slash piles for habitat too. The ones I burned were interesting. They got so hot they vitrified the ash into a glassy clinker, some the size of a football.

/ Logging one of my homes #7  
My short story about burning. I burned one of the stumps from the logging operation. It took all of three days. About five days after the stump cooled down - a smoker about 60 feet away from the stump. One of the massive roots burned all the way out to the end. I kept an eye on that stump for an additional two weeks. Only that one root........

/ Logging one of my homes #8  
My short story about burning. I burned one of the stumps from the logging operation. It took all of three days. About five days after the stump cooled down - a smoker about 60 feet away from the stump. One of the massive roots burned all the way out to the end. I kept an eye on that stump for an additional two weeks. Only that one root........

That is interesting - I need to remember that can happen. I never would have imagined.

MoKelly

/ Logging one of my homes #9  
They can burn for weeks. Putting those out close to the fire line is part of the fire fighting "mop up" process.

/ Logging one of my homes #10  
Months even. We have had several fires break out four to six months after the fire was extinguished after last years fires. Around here, redwoods are notorious for slow burns that smolder for long periods of time, both in the roots and the crowns.

All the best,

Peter