Two things I will never understand in life...

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #21  
The last couple of cars I bought came with "eco" tires that supposedly get better gas mileage. They wore out very quickly. The replacements were more normal tires and did very well. I once had a relatively new tire pick up a nail just off the tread. They said it was sidewall damage (which they couldn't repair) and it wasn't covered. So I guess the logic was that only damage that can be repaired is covered under warranty.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #23  
RE: Tires. I've always purchased one brand of tire - TOYO - and have had very good performance with this brand. There is a dealership that serves the western USA - Les Schwab. Outstanding. And they sell TOYO tires.

At least here in Nevada, Les Schwab DOES NOT sell Toyo tires anymore (at least, as of about 4 months ago). They are now pushing their own house brand...that after I had them put Toyos on both of my trucks.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #24  
I don't know or care what my credit score is. I have no loans or mortgage at my age and have no need to know my score. If I was younger, I suppose a credit score would be necessary. Hopefully I won't need to buy another tractor in the near future.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #25  
At least here in Nevada, Les Schwab DOES NOT sell Toyo tires anymore (at least, as of about 4 months ago). They are now pushing their own house brand...that after I had them put Toyos on both of my trucks.
I put a set of Les Schwab's house brand tires on my wife's Hyundai Kona this spring. She has complained about her tires ever since. Her gas mileage has decreased, the tire noise is much worse (I can attest to both of those) and she says she has less traction (I won't even ask how she knows that).
My Les Schwab store hasn't sold Toyo's in quite a while. Schwab's has historically been an excellent place to do business, but these new tires do make me wonder. (Plus they sent them out of their shop with different pressures in each tire ranging from 32 to 45 psi)

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #26  
Tire warranties and credit scores.

Tires - Seems like they can go at any time and no matter what the written warranty, there is a cop out in fine print. You think the more you pay, the better they (tires) would be, but I've found first hand that is not the case.

Credit scores - Mine dropped by 2 points, but still on the very high side IMO, and I don't have a clue how I got that high to begin with, nor do I know why I dropped a couple of points as I really haven't changed anything.
I have good credit - not excellent. I pay cash for everything - it starts dropping. I use the credit card and don't run it up over 10 percent - it goes up. I'm told my history of credit is too new - Im old! I always pay my bills on time.

The algorithm that creates your FICO score is a very closely held secret. There are expert opinions and they don't agree.
I'm old enough to have a plan. My plan is money in the bank, pay my bills and don't depend on credit, an "institutional" system that is unfair and unwise.

/ Two things I will never understand in life...
I'm old enough to have a plan. My plan is money in the bank, pay my bills and don't depend on credit, an "institutional" system that is unfair and unwise.
I'm old enough to realize that the only plan that I have that will absolutely, positively work, that is 100% bomb proof is that I'm going to die 😁

That said, my other plan is a lot like yours.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #28  
I'm old enough to realize that the only plan that I have that will absolutely, positively work, that is 100% bomb proof is that I'm going to die

That said, my other plan is a lot like yours.

Yep - Remember what Ben Franklin said were the only 2 things that were certain in the world.

MoKelly

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #29  
Somewhat related to this thread - we have had a 'credit freeze' with all three credit agencies for many years. Because we have no intent to apply for any new credit it is not an inconvenience to do that. Easy and provides some protection against mischief.

A few years ago our daughter had her laptop stolen (home burglary). I asked if it was password protected - she said no. I asked if she did her tax returns on it - she said yes. I asked her if she had a credit freeze on her accounts - she said no. I told her to immediately put a credit freeze on her accounts because her SSN was now out there along with everything else.

/ Two things I will never understand in life... #30  
I've used TOYO's as well. China made. No regrets, but it's now bugging me that they are Chinese made and not Japanese made.

My dad has had 3 different cars over the last 15 years, same make and model. He wanted Michelin tires because that's what he always had on the new car, and that's what HE likes. Thing is, brand new car bought in 2018 had new tires. These tires supposed to have 55k mileage warranty on them. I'm looking for tires for my father as his are worn out, call discount tire, and they inform me that tires that come new with a vehicle are different than when you need to buy them. They tell me it's a softer rubber on new tires so they wear out more quickly. Total BS I know. But, my father only had 34k on the tires with a 55k warranty and because it was bought from the dealer, out of luck because it was a new car when bought with the "ne tires".

Point being, discount tire didn't want to deal with the headache. Never will go there again,

That said, bought new tires for my dad at a local mechanic, and I will be a PITA to follow through with the warranty now as far as what is required per the manufacturer.

I've bought my share of tires in the past. Sam's Club rules. CostCo ain't bad, either.

Just went into Sam's as member, the tires I had came with my truck from the factory. Got all 4 balanced and rotated for $4 apiece. Left the guy a $10 tip. They're hard to beat.

On a truck, I'll get Toyo next time..... Probably. On a regular vehicle, I'll get Bridgestone. I might even get them next year on my 2017 Ram CTD. Had to get new tires on my Wife's Edge a couple years ago. The Firestone place was having a big sale and since it was right around the corner, I got some Bridgestones put on her car. Replaced some high-end Michelins from the factory.

OMG, (hate that expression but it fits here) what a difference! The Car felt like it was glued to the road. Road softer, better, cornered and handled better, quieter, felt much safer in the rain.

I would highly receommend them. No clue what series they are or anything. 6 Months later she got rear-ended while sitting stopped at a light. The kid had to be doing 60 MPH, No BS, had to be. Totalled her Edge. Almost totalled her. Glad it didn't. Cute ones are hard to find these days. :)

She's got Pirellis on her new Edge. They're not bad but they're not nearly as good as the Bridgestones, IMO