Can’t find a 42” riding mower anywheres here.

/ Can’t find a 42” riding mower anywheres here. #1  

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
I knew about lack of generators, but lawn mowers? No idea.

i want to replace my 2003 Husqvarna riding mower with a new similar unit. I called all around, and stores and dealers have not had deliveries at all this year up here. On shop had 40 units ordered last October, still not delivered.

i finally gave up and located a new, complete mower deck for $600.

i guess I’ll just rebuild the one I have.

/ Can’t find a 42” riding mower anywheres here. #2  
I have a 42" Husqvarna R155 riding mower, 20 years old. It's not a ZTR but it does turn in a 4" circle; good enough for my use... Wouldn't trade it for a brass monkey. It'll go lots of places on my lawn that I can't get my larger mower into. And mows smooth as a golf course. I dread the day that I do finally have to put it to rest.

Husqvarna Rider 155.JPG

You're lucky to get yours back in operation for only a $600 deck. Run it until it dies of old age, then revive it again and again.

/ Can’t find a 42” riding mower anywheres here. #3  
Husqvarna isn't Husqvarna any more. Most riding mowers (Husqvarna, Craftsman, etc.) are made by a company called MTD which I understand is now owned by AYP (American Yard Products). That's why so many look the same. Most use standard engines (Briggs, Kohler, etc.) but Cub Cadet has their engines made for their mowers (China I think). I am very disappointed with my Craftsman 54" mower. Ten years old and the rear transaxle seal went out. It''s the same seal as Husqvarna, etc. The part number is easily found but the seal no longer exists anywhere. A new transaxle is $1600 or so. I'm in the process of dismantling my transaxle (Spicer Dana) to find a substitute. This is a ten year old tractor. I was very surprised parts no longer exist for something that new.

/ Can’t find a 42” riding mower anywheres here.
My husqvarna mower has a sticker on it that says Electrolux.
so does the mower bag assembly. I guess it is just a big vacuum anyhow.

/ Can’t find a 42” riding mower anywheres here. #5  
Went by my local Lowes yesterday in Erie, PA and there is not a single lawn tractor at the entire store... all sold out. Plants still can't get the parts they need to produce any new machines.

FYI:

Husqvarna lawn tractors are made by Husqvarna in Orangeburg, SC. (For you history buffs, this plant was originally Roper, who made tractors for Sears and others)
John Deere lawn tractors are made by John Deere in Greeneville, TN
American Yard Products, who used to produce Craftsman for Sears and other brands, no longer exists. The company was bought out by Husqvarna.
The latest Craftsman branded lawn tractors sold at Lowes are made by MTD.
Cub Cadet are made by MTD, have been since 1981.

Today, homeowner grade lawn tractors are just about all created equal. You get a 500-750 hour rated Briggs, Kohler or Chinese engine, and a Hydro-Gear or Tuff-Torq transaxle that make up the bulk of the tractor. You can move up a bit out of the box stores with some makes like Deere and Husqvarna to a longer life Kawasaki engine for more $.

-Mark-

Last edited:
   / Can’t find a 42” riding mower anywheres here. #6  
I have a 42" Husqvarna R155 riding mower, 20 years old. It's not a ZTR but it does turn in a 4" circle; good enough for my use... Wouldn't trade it for a brass monkey. It'll go lots of places on my lawn that I can't get my larger mower into. And mows smooth as a golf course. I dread the day that I do finally have to put it to rest.

View attachment 702890

You're lucky to get yours back in operation for only a $600 deck. Run it until it dies of old age, then revive it again and again.
I've got the same, or near same mower. Husky quit making the center actuation style of mowers and mine is about shot. What to do, what to do??!!??!!!? I love the darn thing and not sure what to replace it with..

Last edited:
Husky still makes a center articulating mower. They had one at the kubota dealer, but it had a sold sticker on it.

Attachments

• D95A8993-811A-474C-8EC3-4415BC82CCC3.png
    D95A8993-811A-474C-8EC3-4415BC82CCC3.png
    916.4 KB · Views: 53
   / Can’t find a 42” riding mower anywheres here. #8  
   / Can’t find a 42” riding mower anywheres here. #9  
Orange Box Store lists several 42" in different colors for free home delivery. I didn't go far enough into the process to see WHEN delivery might be though.

all i know is i talked to a dealer, and he honestly told me they ordered them last October, and Husqvarna told them not to expect them this season. it looks like my new deck will be here in a few weeks. that is a cheap way to make this 18yo mower seem like a new unit. motor runs strong.

i saw some JD units and cub cadets at the stores, but i like the reliability the ole husq gave me. going to stick with them. the JD was way more money and i heard the cub cadet are largely Chinese built. didnt look into that claim too deeply though.