3-Point Hitch No lift on 3pt hitch

/ No lift on 3pt hitch #1  

BereaFordMan

Tractor
Ford 1700
Hello all. I've got a Ford 1700 with no lift on the 3pt hitch. My grandfather bought it new and I've used it for the last 20 years and has been a great tractor. Anyway, It went from working completely fine one day to a little jittery and then completely stopped working the next. I believe I've read all the posts related to the hydraulic systems on TBN, but haven't been able to resolve my issue.

With the lift cylinder removed, I see hydraulic fluid pouring over the spool valve the entire time the tractor is on (presumably from the hole in the top of the spool valve?). No fluid ever comes out the hole for the lift cylinder head in any position I put the control arm. Does this mean the spool valve is faulty and/or needs to be rebuilt? I've yet to take apart the spool valve as I'm fuzzy on exactly how the spool valve works.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this!

/ No lift on 3pt hitch #2  
Did you check the drop speed control valve under the seat? the 3-point lowering speed knob (can't remember the name)

I've bumped that with my heel and turned the pressure off.

Last edited:
   / No lift on 3pt hitch #3  
Hello all. I've got a Ford 1700 with no lift on the 3pt hitch. My grandfather bought it new and I've used it for the last 20 years and has been a great tractor. Anyway, It went from working completely fine one day to a little jittery and then completely stopped working the next. I believe I've read all the posts related to the hydraulic systems on TBN, but haven't been able to resolve my issue.

With the lift cylinder removed, I see hydraulic fluid pouring over the spool valve the entire time the tractor is on (presumably from the hole in the top of the spool valve?). No fluid ever comes out the hole for the lift cylinder head in any position I put the control arm. Does this mean the spool valve is faulty and/or needs to be rebuilt? I've yet to take apart the spool valve as I'm fuzzy on exactly how the spool valve works.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this!
Hi Fordman,

Let's break it down to individual component. Correct me when I am wrong.

1- You have removed the lift cylinder head?
2- you have withdrawn the cylinder liner and associated piston.
3- if item 1 and 2 is right then you turned the tractor on and you see oil gushing out of spool valve internally over the diffy housing? right?
4- if 3 is affirmative then oil coming out of spool is normal as you are in the neutral position of the spool (basically you reached the height needed) and the excess oil is routed back to diffy housing.
5- if # 2 is correct then did you look at the condition of the lift piston seal (nylon double lipped seal)?
6- While the oil is coming out of spool did you try to manipulate lift handle up and down to different position?
7- on the diffy cover (where the seat is attached) did you see any oi is coming from the oil port on the right side of covering from operator seat?

verify the above and we can get closer to the problem. Do not dork with the spool at this time. it is way to pre-mature to go there yet.

Last edited:
   / No lift on 3pt hitch #4  
Did you check the drop speed control valve under the seat? the 3-point lowering speed knob (can't remember the name)

I've bumped that with my heel and turned the pressure off.

Just FYSA. That knob controls the rate of drop of 3 point. All the way closed and you cannot lower the 3 point by manipulation of lift arm control. All the way open and the 3 point drops real quick when lowering. it does not in any manner controls the pressure to the lift cylinder.