Lynch Pins Coming Off

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #1  

MUDONTHETIRES

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6065 4WD
There are several posts about this but not many recently so a new day means new ideas. When I brush hog a different lynch pin falls off nearly every time. I've brush hogged five times in the last two months and have lost four lynch pins.

Facts: I do have a lot of overgrown weeds and saplings and I do use the HD black lynch pins.

My question is how do I keep them from coming off? I don't care about losing them so much as I do about tearing up my equipment. Chaining them to somewhere on the tractor just keeps me from losing the pin but it doesn't stop the inevitable damage from the pin coming out. Is there a better more secure pin out there other than a bolt and nut? Duct tape? Key rings? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #3  
I assume you're snapping the ring over the pin? Usually these are so tight that they wont come off.

But since I am assuming you're snapping that ring over the pin, and they are still coming off, then you're dealing with some very rough terrain and/or vibrations in order to get that ring to come loose and pop that pin out. Maybe slow down or find the reasons as to why?

I've never lost a pin, on the 3 point, while brush hogging, and I've done some very rough terrain. I've lost pins on the link adjustment bars, and on the 3 point while using the box blade by pushing dirt up against the pins, forcing them out, but never while mowing.

Maybe wrap a zip tie around the shank of the pin and around the ring to keep the ring from coming up? If that makes sense?

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #4  
I found some lynch pins are created better than others.
The ones that came with my flail fell off quickly.
Went to TSC and hand picked ones that seems springy and tight to the pin. Seem to have less issues when I pick them individually.
We will see how long they last though.
Seems we might need a lynch pin or cotter for the lynch pins :-(

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #6  
I always lose these in the woods while logging. I even tried to use the "chained ones" but could not keep those either as the small chain would simply break off. When roving about my old logging lanes with a metal detector, I found 9 of the things that are lost over a period of 30 years w/o doing every lane.
So in following Sberry's advice, I cut a strip of Gorilla tape and wrap that around the stem and wire but I only do that on the pins that are seldom if ever need removing.

The fear of "losing" is not the real fear. My three point gets all discombobulated when one drops off and if I have a heavy weight on it or digs into the ground and I'm looking where I'm driving in-between peaks back there, things get bent.

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #9  
I've yet to have one of these fall out. Do you know how they're getting undone?

Maybe a different style than the usual round wire spring clips would resist getting opened and lost?

/ Lynch Pins Coming Off #10  
I do the same deal (search through the bins at the tractor store or TSC for ones with more spring closing pressure) but there is a drawback to them and that is, the ones with more spring pressure are also finger smashers if you happen to have a digit in the wrong place at the wrong time. Been there, did that and it hurts, they seem to like to smash down on the end of your finger.....lol

I've only lost a couple over the years but I keep extras in each tool box on the tractors and implements.