B29 Overheard

/ B29 Overheard #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Sitting in my living room at 8:30pm EST and hear radial engines. Look on flight radar and there she is.

Anyone south of Chicago might hear it in a few minutes.

1B922E06-785D-4A1B-B5E0-26FEC0950BC9.jpeg

/ B29 Overheard #2  
Nothing like the sound of those old radial engines. One Sunday morning early, I heard the throb of those old engines; I ran out side, and there was a Texan and two B-25 headed North over the house. My neighbor ran out too; turns out he was a sheet metal worker who repaired these old planes during WWII.

/ B29 Overheard
Nothing like the sound of those old radial engines. One Sunday morning early, I heard the throb of those old engines; I ran out side, and there was a Texan and two B-25 headed North over the house. My neighbor ran out too; turns out he was a sheet metal worker who repaired these old planes during WWII.
I still see the occasional DC3 flying over. But mostly it's summer time and the war birds are on the air show circuit. A great sound indeed!

/ B29 Overheard #4  
Great sounding engines! Farmers around me hire a local crop duster powered by radial. He makes his turn around over my place.

/ B29 Overheard #6  
Thanks for sharing that, MossRoad, pure music to my ears.

/ B29 Overheard #7  
July 2001 I was working in NY, staying at what must be the only motel in the country without AC. The other crew had gone back to Canada because of the temps, and when a football player died of heat exhaustion in training camp I decided to take a few days off.

Going back through Burlington VT in my "sort of air-conditioned" Toyota with my dog in the back seat there was an air show going on. Several fighter planes went low overhead. I wanted badly to stop and watch, but had to keep going as moving was the only way we could stay somewhat cool. Yet I've never forgotten the planes flying overhead in formation.

/ B29 Overheard #8  
Florida used to use DC-3's to spray for mosquito and other pest controls. Loved to hear those engines. Course, back in the 80's, DC-3s were being flown in from further south, landed in the Everglades, and just left there after the cargo was unloaded. ☹️ That was done with more modern twin engine aircraft as well. :(

When I was in college, a B17 and a B24 visited a near by airport. I could not get on the planes due to my class schedule but I was able to drive close to the end of the runway, well within 100 yards or so, and listen to those two planes rev up their engines for take off. Absolutely amazing. They took off after the engines were warmed up and buzzed the air field a few times. The sound from those two planes was unreal. Very hard to imagine what dozens, hundreds or even a thousand of those planes sounded like. Do not know how the Japanese or the Germans could think they could win the war when large numbers of bombers and fighters started flying overhead.

A couple of times of the years, a B17 has visited a nearby airport. Once I did go and get a ground tour. I should have paid to go on a flight....

On one of their visits I was on a nearby lake and saw the B17 fly over. I knew the plane was here but seeing it was amazing, and for people on the lake who did not know the plane was in the area, it must have been a cool surprise to see.

We get a fair number of military aircraft flying over the house. Lately we have been hearing/seeing Osprey's fly over. They have a very distinctive sound because of the engines and large props. One night I heard loud aircraft heading our way and ran outside. Just above the tree tops three or four Osprey's flew right over the house. I do mean right over the house. :eek::ROFLMAO: AND LOW! As fast as I was to go outside, I only saw three of them in trail but I think there was a fourth one that I did not see. They were flying one behind the other and very close together. Very cool to hear and see.

Later,
Dan

/ B29 Overheard #9  
Sitting in my living room at 8:30pm EST and hear radial engines. Look on flight radar and there she is.

Anyone south of Chicago might hear it in a few minutes.

View attachment 705305
I have never flown a B29, but have almost 2000 hours sitting atop four of those same wonderful Wright R-3350's.
I was a USN pilot in a squadron that flew the Super Connie.

/ B29 Overheard #10  
My very first ride was on a Super Connie as a youngster.
Next ride was an Beech 18 as a teen in air cadets.
The did an air force stint and learned a trade,
Then I bought a J3 cub and learned to fly in it.
That led to an aviation career, then a avionics shop, followed to be an FBO and finally a Cessna dealer.
All in all I owned, bought sold a fair number of aircraft.

Now all that started from reading all kinds of aviation thrillers.

LOL, now I play tractor and participate on TBN when I can contribute.