B29 Overheard

/ B29 Overheard #11  
My very first ride was on a Super Connie as a youngster.
Next ride was an Beech 18 as a teen in air cadets.
The did an air force stint and learned a trade,
Then I bought a J3 cub and learned to fly in it.
That led to an aviation career, then a avionics shop, followed to be an FBO and finally a Cessna dealer.
All in all I owned, bought sold a fair number of aircraft.

Now all that started from reading all kinds of aviation thrillers.

LOL, now I play tractor and participate on TBN when I can contribute.
I flew the T-28 B and C models in Navy flight training.
Wright R-1820 (1350HP - 3 blade prop)..... the best sound, and a wonderful throb when taxiing.
Absolutely a blast to fly.....and they paid me to do it!
The C model was the carrier version, and I did landings and take offs aboard the USS Lexington.
That was truly the cat's axx for a nearly fearless 20 year old.

After 39 years of being paid to fly, my flying life is now behind me also.
I play with my tractors now......for no pay,....... and I enjoy TBN every single day!

Last edited:
   / B29 Overheard
You know what else has unique sounds?

C5 Galaxy and the Goodyear Blimp.

/ B29 Overheard #13  
Back around 1960 when I was in the Civil Air Patrol Cadets we frequently flew on C-47s, the military equivalent of the DC-3 and on C119s. Those were my first flights and made my decision to join the Air Force very easy for me.

/ B29 Overheard #14  
The B36 was identifiable from as far away as you could hear it.

The only thing that comes close to that sound (that I've heard) is the Bristol Brabizon.

Bruce

/ B29 Overheard #17  
Whenever one of the warbird foundations have a plane here, I can usually get some good pics, as they overfly me on their revenue runs to KMMV, where the Spruce Goose lives. Monitor 119.1 and when they call in five miles out I get the camera ready. They're at 1000 agl so a fort looks pretty big up there.
Saw a flight of Ospreys last week, heard a very distinct sound; there were six of them strung out heading NNE. Never seen one before, don't think there are any based anywhere near here

/ B29 Overheard #18  
During the Cold War I was startled when a B-52 flew very low over my car as I traveled in far out rural Kansas. The whole car shook. Haven't seen one since, but occasionally hear a vintage B-17 . Those jet engines don't sound pretty like the piston engines. The North American B-25 plant was near where I lived during WWII. I get a thrill every time I hear those sounds. Get some Galaxy's now and then around here.
Cheers,
Mike

/ B29 Overheard #19  
I flew the T-28B and C in Navy flight training.
Wright R-1820 (1350HP - 3 blade prop)..... the best sound, and a wonderful throb when taxiing.
Absolutely a blast to fly.....and they paid me to do it!
The C model was the carrier version, and I did landings and take offs aboard the USS Lexington.
The cat's axx for a 20 year old without fear.

Whenever one of the warbird foundations have a plane here, I can usually get some good pics, as they overfly me on their revenue runs to KMMV, where the Spruce Goose lives. Monitor 119.1 and when they call in five miles out I get the camera ready. They're at 1000 agl so a fort looks pretty big up there.
Saw a flight of Ospreys last week, heard a very distinct sound; there were six of them strung out heading NNE. Never seen one before, don't think there are any based anywhere near here
The USMC Osprey is a fun machine to watch!

/ B29 Overheard #20  
My dad was in the navy during WWII. He saw a B29 at the time and couldn’t believe anything that big could fly. Of course now on the scale of things it’s not that large.