L2501 I love it BUT

/ L2501 I love it BUT
There should be a couple Turbo kit options coming out for the L2501 relatively soon. That could be a good option to boost the power of your current tractor rather than buying a larger machine.

Mike
Now THAT is an option for sure. When and how can I find out about a turbo option and how much extra hp are we talking about?

/ L2501 I love it BUT
Oh dear. OK, that sheds a lot of light on the entire circumstance. You are choosing to creep, not being forced to. Run in low range at full rpm when in the very heavy grass 3' high to get the most forward cutting speed you can get out of that machine. Otherwise, you were right to begin with: If you REALLY want to run faster cutting that same stuff go buy more horsepower !!

OBTW, can't you shift to a higher range when you want to run faster but are not in the heavier stuff? I'm not an HST guy -- are you forced to stop to shift ranges ? Can't shift on the fly ?
No, not choosing to creep. With a HST you can run wide open in Low or use about half your petal in M and get the same result. Barely moving in L or barely moving in M are the same thing, provided the engine is operating at maximum RPM's. There are places that even low is way too fast to keep the tractor from choking down.

/ L2501 I love it BUT
The cutting height affects how hard the tractor works also. Giving a close shave to tough, thick material is much harder work than a taller cut. Sometimes an inch or so taller cut can make a big difference, like when you go from a 50 hp machine to a 25 hp one.

The cutting height affects how hard the tractor works also. Giving a close shave to tough, thick material is much harder work than a taller cut. Sometimes an inch or so taller cut can make a big difference, like when you go from a 50 hp machine to a 25 hp one.
Very true.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #24  
Now THAT is an option for sure. When and how can I find out about a turbo option and how much extra hp are we talking about?

We're currently waiting for the PTO dyno results to determine actual HP and improvements. A couple members have over 100 hours on their Turbo setups.
You can check out the thread here;

I'm currently in discussion with a local shop just in case this L2501 Turbo Kit doesn't meet my expectations (price, quality & results).

Mike

/ L2501 I love it BUT #25  
HST + on the Grand L and L47/M62 are awesome for this. They have an additional high/low on the steering wheel to provide more control in each range. I use it all the time and don't have to actually change ranges much.
I have not owned any of those machines (nor any larger HST) but the features you mention are as you say "awesome." Those are "love it" instead of just "like it" features !

/ L2501 I love it BUT #26  
There should be a couple Turbo kit options coming out for the L2501 relatively soon. That could be a good option to boost the power of your current tractor rather than buying a larger machine.

Mike
Tempting solution but these little tractors hold their value really well AND unless you have buddies in the soup up business that turbo kit is probably going to cost an arm and most of a leg -- more than the cost of trading up to a higher hp machine. I would trade up instead.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #27  
No, not choosing to creep. With a HST you can run wide open in Low or use about half your petal in M and get the same result. Barely moving in L or barely moving in M are the same thing, provided the engine is operating at maximum RPM's. There are places that even low is way too fast to keep the tractor from choking down.

Well, what you are saying is only true in the sense of a hypothetical overall ratio, but if the tractor is working hard you're much better off being in low. Let the gears -- the mechanical parts -- do the heavy work and let the HST have an easier time. The HST will generate heat and losses under load, which is going to rob power. The gears won't.

There is a reason these tractors have the 3-spd mechanical gear boxes coupled to the HST. Theoretically you could design an HST with the same overall gearing range with a single gear, but it would not be as efficient and you'd have some pretty bad losses.

One problem with running a mower at PTO speed is that you're probably wearing hearing protection, but even if you weren't, you're probably not going to hear the HST whine and complain. There are many other tasks where I can hear the subtle HST whine and know to shift down to low just based on the sound. I don't "have" to shift to low -- the tractor will still operate -- but that sound is a cue that the HST is operating off-design and creating heat and losses. Good reason to drop a gear range.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #28  
Tempting solution but these little tractors hold their value really well AND unless you have buddies in the soup up business that turbo kit is probably going to cost an arm and most of a leg -- more than the cost of trading up to a higher hp machine. I would trade up instead.

Nope. $2,000-2,500 for the Turbo Kit.

That’s a lot cheaper than stepping up to either the L3301 or L3901. And, I personally wouldn’t consider either of those options. Because if I’m stepping up, I’m buying a Grand L or MX5400.

Mike

/ L2501 I love it BUT #29  
How the mower is set up with a small tractor is important. Deck Angle, height and blade sharpness.

When mowing tall stuff doesn’t take long to load the air cleaner filters and lose power. Have to blow ours out couple times a year. Also the radiators. Radiator Genie tool works good on filters.

The B26 had a spark arrester screen on the exhaust pipe tip. A $75 option. Cleaned for many years routinely. Screen 25-40% blocked with soot. Finally removed screen and think it runs better (more power) now. Don’t really have a fire season or operate on federal land or forest to need one.

/ L2501 I love it BUT #30  
Nope. $2,000-2,500 for the Turbo Kit.

That’s a lot cheaper than stepping up to either the L3301 or L3901. And, I personally wouldn’t consider either of those options. Because if I’m stepping up, I’m buying a Grand L or MX5400.

Mike
Yes but how much for installation? Some might not be comfortable installing this. On my RTV 1100C the kit + install was about $4500.

I do agree with your upgrade thoughts. L2501 upgrade would probably put me in an MX.