Used Value vs Age

/ Used Value vs Age #41  
Anecdotal, I know but I have a 06 Triumph Bonneville. It is carbed. Like other carbed Bonnevilles it gets between 38 and 45 mpg.

In 08 they went to EFI, for emissions.

The rule for those bikes is they get around 50mpg+.

Another anecdote.

Look at pickup truck fuel economy and capability in 1985 vs today.

Strangely we are both in the golden age of power and the age of the cleanest vehicles ever produced.
But definitely NOT in the golden age of reliability and repair costs. More components to fail and that adds costs

/ Used Value vs Age #42  
I am very thankful to have purchased what will likely be the last new tractor I will ever need, back in 2005. I was able to get a 43 hp, made in America tractor with an American diesel power plant back then to boot, and cheaper than some of the Asian powered models that the competition offered.

Nice tractor. What model JD is that? Are you sure that one doesn't have a Yanmar motor? Lots of the older JDs since about 1990 did.

/ Used Value vs Age #43  
Can you be more specific?

How can you say it doesn't store the soot if it catches it and waits for something to happen?

What's an EGT? Some sort of chemical?

What kind of less harmful gas can soot be converted to? I thought soot was mostly carbon.

Soot is the result of incomplete combustion so you end up with with larger black particles and also some ash content from things like burned lube oil etc.

The DPF captures and holds them until the EGTs(exhaust gas temps) get high enough to cause oxygen to react with the compounds trapped within the mesh.

Nearly all of it is is turned into a multitude of gasses that are less harmful than the soot to inhale. A very small amount of ash remains and is removed periodically in the (manual) dpf clean out procedure.

/ Used Value vs Age #44  
Oh no!
Now I am seriously worried!
I did not realize that the 2006 251 hour Kubota L48 TLB I bought 25 months ago, was actually "someone else's neglect/problems".
The L48 TLB is 2006 pre emissions, so I therefore suffer from the most dreaded tractor scenario of no warranty.
From current comparables, it appears that I could sell my L48 TLB today, for at least $12K more than I paid.
What am I missing in this picture?

You likely found an exception to the rule, atleast it is around me. None of these jackwagons around here even know what a grease gun is but damnit if they aren’t proud of their tractors when they also a price sticker on it, assuming you can find a decent used tractor that is.

/ Used Value vs Age #45  
But definitely NOT in the golden age of reliability and repair costs. More components to fail and that adds costs

I don’t know, cars seem to be lasting longer and longer.

It wasn’t long ago 100k on the clock meant the car was toast.

That’s like the new 25 or 50k now.

/ Used Value vs Age #46  
I don’t know, cars seem to be lasting longer and longer.

It wasn’t long ago 100k on the clock meant the car was toast.

That’s like the new 25 or 50k now.
So yes, some components last longer, but the topic you introduced is efficiency in equipment (not vehicles) so I’m having a bit of trouble following.
But if we are veering over into cars and equipment lasting longer, Id venture to say the older equipment was built heavier and stronger than the newer plastic stuff. But the plastic doesn’t rust.
Look at older (like 20-50 year old) tractors. They were built when engineers were in charge.
Seen more than my share of million mile Chevy 350 engines and million mile 5.9L Cummins diesels. Anti rust has improved with the introduction of aluminum and plastic. Hardly hi-tech breakthroughs.
Now it’s bean counters and enviromentalists in charge of cars and equipment

Last edited:
   / Used Value vs Age #47  
I was beyond happy when I bought my well used Case-IH MX-270.
Built in USA, extremely efficient and easy to repair. Reliable and very clean running. American made Cummins 8.3L diesel @ 270 PTO HP.
Built in Wisconsin by American UAW employees at a Case-IH factory.

Sorry to see those days are over, as America declines into debt and kicks all manufacturing off shore, but hey, we have more “efficiency“, right?

View attachment 705453
That is a mighty fine looking BRUTE !!!

/ Used Value vs Age #48  
So yes, some components last longer, but the topic you introduced is efficiency in equipment (not vehicles) so I’m having a bit of trouble following.
But if we are veering over into cars and equipment lasting longer, Id venture to say the older equipment was built heavier and stronger than the newer plastic stuff. But the plastic doesn’t rust.
Look at older (like 20-50 year old) tractors. They were built when engineers were in charge.
Now it’s bean counters and enviromentalists

You brought up reliability and repair costs, so I addressed it.

And going back to efficiency, cars and trucks are more capable/efficient than they were 20-50 years ago, what makes them able to benefit from modern designs but tractors can’t benefit?

I get it you don’t like new stuff.

That’s ok.

/ Used Value vs Age #50  
You brought up reliability and repair costs, so I addressed it.

And going back to efficiency, cars and trucks are more capable/efficient than they were 20-50 years ago, what makes them able to benefit from modern designs but tractors can’t benefit?

I get it you don’t like new stuff.

That’s ok.
No, I don’t like new stuff, I LOVE new stuff.
Problem is, I don’t have a faculty lounge salary to afford it, so I buy used.
Benefits: affordable, simpler, more reliable
Drawbacks: less operator comfort, new car smell, bragging rights.