Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #951  
So now I have seen it all. Got my 2021 mortgage escrow statement and my homeowner's insurance went up about 15% in a year (it's paid in May of each year). Was planning to call my insurance agent on Monday and ask why, but did a little Googling and it seems that the increased cost of building materials has affected homeowner's insurance rates, since it drives home repair/replacement costs. Anybody else seen this?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #952  
So now I have seen it all. Got my 2021 mortgage escrow statement and my homeowner's insurance went up about 15% in a year (it's paid in May of each year). Was planning to call my insurance agent on Monday and ask why, but did a little Googling and it seems that the increased cost of building materials has affected homeowner's insurance rates, since it drives home repair/replacement costs. Anybody else seen this?
maybe when the prices go down your insurance rate will go down ....maybe...

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #953  
Ours isn't due until November. We'll have to wait and see.

On a side note: Our house appraised at around $90K a year ago (100 year old home in older neighborhood with many different sized and aged homes) and now appraises at around $120K. (our property taxes increased). The insurance estimate has always been around $250K to rebuild if totaled. So we'll see what happens in November.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #954  
maybe when the prices go down your insurance rate will go down ....maybe...
🤣

I'm glad I wasn't sipping a drink. Thinks rarely go down once they go up.

On a hopeful note, we added another vehicle a couple months ago and our insurance went down and they sent US a check for $135 for better coverage. Apparently we are good drivers, no accident discount over the years has wiped our deductible down to $0. So we upped the deductible and they sent us a check. First time that's ever happened.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #955  
Cities love raising home appraisals. They have lots of incentive to increase home values. They work very hard at increasing home values.

Here, all increases in appraisals can be challenged. Winning challenges are in the 40% range. But it takes time and work to challenge. Some folks smile when the city tells them their house value increased year-over-year.

MoKelly

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
April '20, I paid $7.23 for 2 x 8 x 12 SYP

Currently showing $17.98

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #957  
4x8 1/2" CDX is $83.95+tax per sheet in Washington where we grow trees like corn.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #958  
Cities love raising home appraisals. They have lots of incentive to increase home values. They work very hard at increasing home values.

Here, all increases in appraisals can be challenged. Winning challenges are in the 40% range. But it takes time and work to challenge. Some folks smile when the city tells them their house value increased year-over-year.

MoKelly
I would not fuss as much if the rates per thousand were reduced at the same time (which happened years ago). Now it seems to be justification to act as a drunk sailor and spend uncontrollably. What do the county and state need a 21% increase for? Really? Over $1K per month here with very little, if any, benefit.

Last edited:
   / Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #959  
I read this morning inflation in June was 5.4% - the highest inflation rate in 13 years. Does not bode well for the future as it was higher than the “experts” had been predicting.

MoKelly

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #960  
5.4% inflation from June 2021. A country just dosen't put that genie back in the bottle in a way that does not cause ripple effects. The cheap money is like a drug and the dealer has not idea how to wean the addict off their product.

Sometimes this bitcoin concept of not tying value to central banks policy is very appealing.