Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #941  
Well you raise an interesting question, in my mind anyway. Would Menards, or any other big box, really hold all of those particular boards hostage at the current price? I would guess not, that they are free to lower the price on those at any time, if demand is low, or cheaper replacement inventory is already on the way. It's not like if you took the last one of those 2000 2x6s, and then grabbed a new one from the next batch, that they would ring up at different prices at the register. The price is set per day regardless of what exact pieces of inventory are on hand... right?
I agree they will at some point lower the price to move the inventory and replace with product at a lower cost. But with so much inventory, it appears they stock piled when prices hit their peak. Ouch!

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #942  
The place I work for sales a lot of large equipment to the big saw mills. Our salesman was told by one of the large ones that build a big mill, that they paid for it last year within 6 months. They are still buying timber at less than the price 4 years ago.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #943  
At both Lowe’s and Home Depot near me…a 2x6x12 is $20.38. While the same 2x6x12 pressure treated is $12.38.

can I frame interior walls with all pressure treated lumber?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #944  
At both Lowe’s and Home Depot near me…a 2x6x12 is $20.38. While the same 2x6x12 pressure treated is $12.38.

Theoretically, as long as you use hot-dipped galvanized (or equivalent) fasteners for everything (including drywall, electrical, HVAC, etc) that attaches to the wood then it would be OK. However I don't know if it's allowed by code. I don't know if there are health or air quality issues having it indoors. And that wood is less stable, less likely to be dry, and more likely to twist/warp, so you're more likely to have problems. Too many disadvantages and unknowns in my opinion.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #945  
^^^ I can vouch for it being less dry. Downright wet in some cases.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #947  

not here. i asked my inspector, he said no because of out gassing from the PT.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #948  
Interesting about PT lumber at HomeDepot. Here on the left coast, most of the PT lumber HD sells is "hem-fir" and not rated for structural applications such as a house. For structural apps, HD sells douglas-fir. You have to go to a local lumber yard to get PT DF, which is much stronger.

Back East, I assume than much of the structural lumber at HD and Lowes is SYP? If not so, what is it? And do they sell crappy PT in some non-structural grade as they do here?

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices?
LUMBERCommodity $702.50 -15.50 -2.16% Official Close 7/9/2021

Shows as the 52 week low, down from $1,686.00 in May.

/ Y'all Been Checkin' Lumber Prices? #950  
Interesting about PT lumber at HomeDepot. Here on the left coast, most of the PT lumber HD sells is "hem-fir" and not rated for structural applications such as a house. For structural apps, HD sells douglas-fir. You have to go to a local lumber yard to get PT DF, which is much stronger.

Back East, I assume than much of the structural lumber at HD and Lowes is SYP? If not so, what is it? And do they sell crappy PT in some non-structural grade as they do here?

At Lowes/HD here in Virginia, I normally see SYP in pressure treated lumber (all sizes) and larger sizes of non-treated (like 2x10 and 2x12). 2x8 and smaller sizes of non-treated lumber are typically SPF (spruce-pine-fir) and occasionally Douglas Fir. The SPF quality is not great.

I can go to our local builder supply and for about the same price get non-treated SYP framing lumber in all sizes -- they carry Weyerhaeuser (sp?) Pro framing lumber which seems to have much better quality control.