pickup truck size

/ pickup truck size #301  
It does seem like an interesting vehicle, and it's hard to argue with 37 (sales hype, YMMV) mpg, but if a 4 door is the only configuration available I'll pass. I'd rather have a longer bed than a back seat which I'd almost never use.
I will keep my Colorado, or upgrade that to a 3/4 ton. Either way, I want something which costs less to buy, fuel, and repair for when I'm just running around or going down to my mother's house 200 miles away.

/ pickup truck size #302  
I have looked at trading my 05 Silverado 2WD WT (Reg Cab, 8' bed, 4.8L V8 Automatic and 3.18 rear end that gets >20 MPH after all these years if I don't push it too hard) a few times as it has 245,000 on it but all of the new ones have a much higher entry and loading heights that they were not what I wanted so I keep my old one which is still running great.

/ pickup truck size #304  
Had no idea when i posted this thread there would be so many reasonable & diverse opinions on the subject. what i can say is that is good to see how many can accurately express what they want in a truck. what i've learned in this is that the market is far more diverse with attention to customer options than i 1st realized. this is a good thing.

personally, i have always leaned to smaller work horse pickups. my beater is a '92 4wd long bed 4cyl Toyota (pre Tacoma) the only new vehicle i've ever purchased & will remain so. 279k original engine never broken into. use it for highway & farm utility including trailer loads, etc.

i will never own a large beast, but it's good to hear well thought out posts of how each of you arrived at your ride.
i'll continue with my truck in the remaining yrs i have on the road. couldn't be more pleased, & that includes the smirks & ridicule i receive when the mall cruisers pass me by, (that's ok, the truck was paid for out of the showroom), best regards
I look at short bed trucks with 4 doors as 'Wannabe soccer mom trucks'.. Status symbols for suburbanite dwellers that want to role play and the only 'cargo' hauled in the back are grocery bags anyway. Totally useless for me. I like 4 doors and a backseat but I have to have an 8 foot box as well and of course a GN hitch in it.

/ pickup truck size #305  
I look at short bed trucks with 4 doors as 'Wannabe soccer mom trucks'.. Status symbols for suburbanite dwellers that want to role play and the only 'cargo' hauled in the back are grocery bags anyway. Totally useless for me. I like 4 doors and a backseat but I have to have an 8 foot box as well and of course a GN hitch in it.
We have a 2002 F350 with a 6' bed and the shorter of the extended cab (has suicide doors vs separate doors for the back doors and no B pillar).
Would have preferred a long bed with a crew cab, but this came available with under 75k miles and it fits our needs.
Its a 3rd vehicle, so if we need to move something bigger, it's not a big deal to hook onto the trailer.

Aaron Z

/ pickup truck size #306  
My wife and I have his and her trucks; you couldn't get her into anything else than a truck.
Same with us. Got tired of having to swap vehicles when she wanted to tow the horse trailer. So she got a new truck. We recently bought a 2017 Acadia for road trips into Dallas and for my work trips. Used to be a 20 mile round trip, now I am having an 80 mile round trip daily to teach classes for about 10 weeks.

Last edited:
   / pickup truck size #307  
I drive thousands of miles in my company 4 door short bed pickup with snowsled or ATV in back. Just because something is useless to you doesn't mean that it won't work for somebody else. I would not want to go back to hauling all of my winter clothes and gear in the bed of the truck, and I sure don't want some behemoth with the extra cab and 8 foot bed on some of the roads I drive. Besides, that extra 18" bed isn't that important; my snowsled would still be sticking out the back.

/ pickup truck size #309  
The brakes are much bigger on the new 1/2 t trucks than the old 3/4 t ones too.
Another pet peeve...using very old terminology that means nothing on the truck. There are no 1/2 ton trucks. Even the lowly Tacoma has almost 3/4 ton payload. Caused serious problems lending on trucks. Payloads over a certain amount (1T) are considered commercial. Different financing and different insurance. Trucks kept getting bigger, but dealers and customers kept referring into the antiquated terms. Many lenders just ignored the rules to make money.

/ pickup truck size #310  
That’s interesting. So, if a new Ford F-350 is actually a ton and a quarter or one and a half, what is done differently if it’s being bought by someone who is just using for personal transportation?