Some basic box blade questions

/ Some basic box blade questions #31  
Hydraulic side link, a bucket list item. Hydraulic top link adds versatility and functionality to ground engaging implements and brush mower can be angled up/down for problem mowing areas.

Rear blade - best for moving material sideways (snow removal) can be angled for ditch creation and crowning drive.
20201017_135701.jpg

Box blade - best for collecting, transporting and spreading loose material (depends on top link length). Angled, can be used to create crowned road. Not best tool for ditches as material continues to collect in box, yes you can do it, not best tool.
20201107_115745.jpg

Land plane, easy to use, will flatten out crowned road if not angled.

20200304_130459.jpg

Rolling box blade, has a u-joint on lift arm, can not be angled will follow ground contours. Best used to roll lawn early spring, neighbors get thier turf tired lawn mowers stuck trying to roll thier lawns.
20150321_123338.jpg

Yeah, I'm one of those neighbors
20200401_152545.jpg

/ Some basic box blade questions #32  
Well, I want to thank everyone for all the comments. I'm learning a lot reading them. In the last week, I've been searching for a box blade, because I do have other needs for it besides the potential use on the driveway. So, today I've had a very good (I think) development; I found a 72" rollover box blade an hour and a half away from me for $575. I'm taking the plunge and picking it up tomorrow and I'm guessing it's either a Gannon or Gill, but the current owner doesn't know. I've attached a couple of photos. It is definitely category 1. After everything that has been said in this thread, I think I'm going to end up getting a back blade and a land plane, and then I should have all my needs covered. Getting the box blade at a good price makes that possible.
Sorry I could tell from the pic's, is the handle to raise/lower scarifiers? Make sure the blade is pure straight like a metal ruler straight, it is amazing how a kink or twist will make'm almost useless. Enjoy, new toys are fun:)

/ Some basic box blade questions
Hydraulic side link, a bucket list item. Hydraulic top link adds versatility and functionality to ground engaging implements and brush mower can be angled up/down for problem mowing areas.

Rear blade - best for moving material sideways (snow removal) can be angled for ditch creation and crowning drive.
View attachment 706074

Box blade - best for collecting, transporting and spreading loose material (depends on top link length). Angled, can be used to create crowned road. Not best tool for ditches as material continues to collect in box, yes you can do it, not best tool.
View attachment 706075

Land plane, easy to use, will flatten out crowned road if not angled.

View attachment 706076

Rolling box blade, has a u-joint on lift arm, can not be angled will follow ground contours. Best used to roll lawn early spring, neighbors get thier turf tired lawn mowers stuck trying to roll thier lawns.
View attachment 706079

Yeah, I'm one of those neighbors
View attachment 706080
Thank you!

/ Some basic box blade questions
Sorry I could tell from the pic's, is the handle to raise/lower scarifiers? Make sure the blade is pure straight like a metal ruler straight, it is amazing how a kink or twist will make'm almost useless. Enjoy, new toys are fun:)
Thank you. The handle is to release the whole guts of the unit so it rolls over to engage the different parts of the attachment. The scarifiers are used separately from the box blade itself. I'll get instructed tomorrow, but I believe you raise the attachment.....pull the lever to release the rotating parts.....put the attachment on the ground, and then roll the tractor forward. When you move the tractor forward, the rotating part rolls over and the next part of the attachment becomes engaged and locks into place. So, you roll it over until the scarifiers are active...... pull the unit around to churn up the ground/gravel....then lift the unit, pull the lever, and repeat and now the box blade portion of the attachment rolls into engagement and you pull it around to do your grading. You can repeat one more time and engage the blade for pushing backward as a dozer. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.....3 different functions.

/ Some basic box blade questions #35  
Thank you. The handle is to release the whole guts of the unit so it rolls over to engage the different parts of the attachment. The scarifiers are used separately from the box blade itself. I'll get instructed tomorrow, but I believe you raise the attachment.....pull the lever to release the rotating parts.....put the attachment on the ground, and then roll the tractor forward. When you move the tractor forward, the rotating part rolls over and the next part of the attachment becomes engaged and locks into place. So, you roll it over until the scarifiers are active...... pull the unit around to churn up the ground/gravel....then lift the unit, pull the lever, and repeat and now the box blade portion of the attachment rolls into engagement and you pull it around to do your grading. You can repeat one more time and engage the blade for pushing backward as a dozer. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.....3 different functions.
cool, thanks for the reply, hope it does all you want.

Best,

ed

/ Some basic box blade questions #36  
Well, I want to thank everyone for all the comments. I'm learning a lot reading them. In the last week, I've been searching for a box blade, because I do have other needs for it besides the potential use on the driveway. So, today I've had a very good (I think) development; I found a 72" rollover box blade an hour and a half away from me for $575. I'm taking the plunge and picking it up tomorrow and I'm guessing it's either a Gannon or Gill, but the current owner doesn't know. I've attached a couple of photos. It is definitely category 1. After everything that has been said in this thread, I think I'm going to end up getting a back blade and a land plane, and then I should have all my needs covered. Getting the box blade at a good price makes that possible.
It looks identical to the 66" Gannon FD-100 I had, hard to tell from the pictures but appears the rear facing cutting edge might be broken, shouldn't be a big deal to replace but just make sure the mounting area is straight or else you won't get the new adge on.

They work well, I liked mine but it was a little heavy for my tractor at the time and lack of position control made it difficult to grade, ended up selling it and keeping my 60in box blade so I could use the rear cutting edge as a gauge.

/ Some basic box blade questions #37  
Smart guy. Box blade does do somethings well, but, in general you are spot on with the scraper.

Best,

ed

Both have their place. It is sorta like a rotary cutter and a finish mower. Both will cut grass and there in the similarities pretty much end.
Just like the 2 mowers, some may have a use for one and not the other, while some have no use for either, while some use both.
Same applies to the box blade, land plane and rear blade. Each shines with what it was designed to do. Yes there is some overlap in what they do and like the mowers the usage/need varies.

A 6-way rear blade is a wonderful adaptation of the rear blade. Anyone that has worked with one for a short period loves them, but the demand a price as well.
If money is no object for you get all 3 blades. And spend the time to learn how each works and how to work them. Since money is no object include that T’N’T as well!

/ Some basic box blade questions #38  
LoL...There are two kinds of tractor operators in this world...those that have learned how to use a box blade and those that haven't...!...Confucius says man who has mastered the box blade is like a man who can catch a fly with chopsticks...he can do anything...!!!

A box blade with hydraulic top & tilt is probably the single most (non powered pull behind) multi function
attachment ever invented...!

Do a search on YouTube...there are hundreds of videos that clearly show how to use a box blade to crown a road, grade/pitch a lane to one side or the other...repair soft spots and pot holes (using scarifiers) correctly and not just grade over them (pot holes etc.) filling them with loose material that will wash right back out...(this can not be done with a scrape blade)

A quality box blade will have both forward and backwards cutting surfaces on the blade itself...this blade functions the same as the cutting edge of a scrape blade...but with a hydraulic top link a box blade can be changed on the fly to go from cutting to smoothing in either direction...this can't be done with typical scrape blades..

When the top link is adjusted the forward cutting edge can be raised which lowers the rear cutting edge so when moving forward payload material will pass under the forward edge and be smoothed by the rear cutting edge as it leaves the box this works the opposite in reverse...

Other than tasks requiring offsetting and or angling the blade...there is very little a scrape blade can do that can't be done with a box blade with a practiced operator...
Yup......."tasks requiring offsetting or angling the blade", are exactly the tasks that are necessary to maintain a properly crowned driveway, and associated ditches.

/ Some basic box blade questions #39  
LoL...The funny thing about rear blades and the advice to get one that is wide enough when the blade is angled...unfortunately for many compact tractors blades that wide are much too heavy for smaller machines...
...The blades that are that big and light enough to pull behind a small compact tractor are nothing but junk...

As I said before...most operators that do not appreciate the diversity of what can be done with a box blade never took the time to learn how to use one properly...

One of the reasons that land planes are so popular is compared to something like a box blade is there is little to no learning curve...just drag it...a bb takes some acquired skill that many are not willing to achieve...

/ Some basic box blade questions #40  
LoL...The funny thing about rear blades and the advice to get one that is wide enough when the blade is angled...unfortunately for many compact tractors blades that wide are much too heavy for smaller machines...
...The blades that are that big and light enough to pull behind a small compact tractor are nothing but junk...

As I said before...most operators that do not appreciate the diversity of what can be done with a box blade never took the time to learn how to use one properly...

One of the reasons that land planes are so popular is compared to something like a box blade is there is little to no learning curve...just drag it...a bb takes some acquired skill that many are not willing to achieve...

"The blades that are that big and light enough to pull behind a small compact tractor are nothing but junk"

Conclusion:
The EA 6 Way Deluxe Rear Scrape Blade...is "junk"!

Last edited: