Mowing Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership?

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership?
I just bought a 2016 flail mower from my dealer. Of course I was all in on the age and the fact that it had never been hooked behind a tractor before. Joe showed me the invoice for $7500 and sold it to me for $5000. That's less than half of a new one. I'll take the faded paint for that price.

That’s a good deal!

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #22  
I’m going to see if I can get more off of the price after I see pictures. Thanks for your input!
Mud, if they have old faded stuff that they have their money tied up in, and are saying that if you order a brand new one it is the same price, I would call their bluff. Say that you will just order one that is new, unless they want to take $xxx for one they have sitting there. I would be willing to bet they would be rethinking that. Good luck!

Mud, if they have old faded stuff that they have their money tied up in, and are saying that if you order a brand new one it is the same price, I would call their bluff. Say that you will just order one that is new, unless they want to take $xxx for one they have sitting there. I would be willing to bet they would be rethinking that. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I’m calling tomorrow and see about ordering one and see what they say. Thanks again!

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #24  
I’m going to see if I can get more off of the price after I see pictures. Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the advice. I’m calling tomorrow and see about ordering one and see what they say. Thanks again!
You might need to toughen up first and get a stronger sense of resolve. More true grit plus some years of negotiating savvy that only experience can give. This guy is not going to cut you a deal because he knows you'll cave in so you just have to explain that it's not worth it to pay the same price for aged inventory and you want to look around more. Then stop and say goodbye, mean it and wait for him to say something. That's the best you can do to scare him but he knows he's got faded inventory and would love to get out for the wholesale cost of new so he can replace it. No one volunteered to buy it yet.

Start calling on old stuff from Tractor House or check auctions on Auction Zip or whatever . This is how you get street smarts.

I do all buying over the phone and often say I'll take it if it's as you say and I'll be over in two hours. No I'll think about it or that; homework has to be done first. Took me a while to learn but now works for me.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #25  
That was the deal on mine. They had it at one of the other dealerships for most of it's life. They just transfered it to the mother ship where I do business and the owner salesman wanted to get rid of it badly. Evidently there is no market for a 9' flail mulcher in my neck of the woods.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #26  
Add me to that list, I buy their biggest bag about once per month. Everything else I can get for less money elsewhere, and I don't have to listen to their pseudo country music.
Check the cost per pound. At our store the biggest bag 55# (I think) is more expensive per pound than the smaller 40 pound bag. I buy 2 smaller bags and come out a few bucks ahead

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #27  
So there may be advantages of buying old "new" implements. I scored like a bandit.
+++ +++
Yes... That can be an advantage...
Pretty much my attitude.. They wouldn't budge on the price of a JD 5' brush hog... I walked... Pretty soon they were calling to say they "found some room" on the price... Too late.. I did better elsewhere.. Just the kind of SOB I am...
x x x
even with the bolts totally slacked off, the clutch would not slip. It was rusted solid.
Called the dealer and said they had never seen that before
+++ +++
They either lied or don't know squat about equipment... They obviously never read an owners manual for anything with a slip clutch..

Every thing I ever owned with a slip clutch, the owners manual clearly said to "burn in" the clutch each season before use...

My 5 cents of experience and opinion...
They almost certainly knew about the clutch. Something to remember is that however much you think you know about an item, the dealer knows more.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #28  
Generally speaking, around here, go into a dealership - look at the brochures. They will only have a limited supply of the highest selling implements out on their lot.

So ........ you want something - of course it will be brand new and shiny. They have to order it for you.

You might need to toughen up first and get a stronger sense of resolve. More true grit plus some years of negotiating savvy that only experience can give. This guy is not going to cut you a deal because he knows you'll cave in so you just have to explain that it's not worth it to pay the same price for aged inventory and you want to look around more. Then stop and say goodbye, mean it and wait for him to say something. That's the best you can do to scare him but he knows he's got faded inventory and would love to get out for the wholesale cost of new so he can replace it. No one volunteered to buy it yet.

Start calling on old stuff from Tractor House or check auctions on Auction Zip or whatever . This is how you get street smarts.

I do all buying over the phone and often say I'll take it if it's as you say and I'll be over in two hours. No I'll think about it or that; homework has to be done first. Took me a while to learn but now works for me.

Very sound advice, thank you! I definitely need to get tougher at negotiating.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #30  
Bought a landscape rake from the dealer and it was at least a year old, but unused. He would have gladly ordered a new one, but I would have had to pony up for the price increases that have incurred, which was a couple hundred dollars, plus wait twelve weeks for delivery.

I bought it to use, not polish, anyway.