Never had pain like this before!!

/ Never had pain like this before!! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
It all started when I ordered these new paring knives from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They are Victorinox knives, made in Switzerland, and they are SHARP!! So I got one that I added on an order to get free shipping and we liked it so well that I ordered three more, one the with a serrated blade.

So the wife bought six dozen or so ears of corn and we were going to 'do corn' as we say in Kentucky. To make a long story short on the first ear the super sharp serrated blade went thru the shucks and cob like a stick of butter and I sliced a hunk of flesh off my left index finger. It hurt! I had sliced off about a quarter inch circle on the side of that finger. This is not the end of the story.

So I walked around using up five or six paper towels to soak up the blood. Grandkids, eight and four, were looking thru the trash can for granddaddy's finger. And after 35-40 minutes of constant bleeding my wife insisted that I go to the local Fast Pace clinic to get it sown up. I tried to explain that there was nothing to sew but she insisted. So I went.

Walked in and there was nobody waiting. Held up the blood soaked paper towel and they took me straight back to a room. This very pretty, very young, very nice young lady came in and looked at my finger and said that she was a nurse practitioner and could take care of it. I asked how and she replied that it would be "CHEMICAL CAUTERIZATION". Remember those words. I had to sign a bunch of papers. Then the little nurse practitioner pulled out what looked like a kitchen match with a black head on it. She put her left hand on my wrist pinning it to the tray, she said, "Brace yourself", and touched the end of the stick from he11 in the middle of the bloody wound. I screamed, jerked my hand back and yes I started crying. I have never had something hurt that bad. The pain went all the way up to my shoulder. After three or four minutes I calmed down enough to apologize to the young lady for acting so bad. It was a good ten minutes until she could finish rubbing the stick on the rest of the wound and it was nowhere as bad as the first touch. After it was over she said she had one man that had, "lost control of his bladder" after a treatment and that I hadn't acted that different from most.

Just remember the words "Chemical Cauterization" and if they are ever going to do that brace yourself.

RSKY

/ Never had pain like this before!! #2  
BOY - that sounds like a world of FUN. I've never cut anything completely off. Not even the smallest hunk of hide. But, BROTHER, do I ever have the scars from deep cuts. The worst being - chainsaw to the heal of my thumb.

I can tell you - it hurt like nothing I had previously experienced. Got my pants down fast enough so that I didn't crap myself. But it was close.

I thought it would quit bleeding pretty soon - not the case. So I squeezed it close and held it that way with small bandages. This was a whole lot of fun because blood was running everywhere. Wrapped it in the cleanest shop towel available and high tailed it home on the tractor.

At home - cleaned it up more - more small bandages. Then I got out the little bottle of Liquid Bandage. That stung like mad but pretty soon it stopped the bleeding.

Regained what composure I had remaining - got in my vehicle and drove to the local Medical Center. Of course - first was a great big Tetanus shot.

They stitched it shut and now I have a very fine scar from the heal, half way up the thumb.

Strange how you remember the pretty nurse. I remember the fellow who worked on my thumb. He could have been a pro wrestler.

/ Never had pain like this before!! #3  
Yeah, wow…ahem, ummmmmm
Congrats on the new knives!

/ Never had pain like this before!! #4  
If she’s pretty she can hurt me all she likes. At least physically.

/ Never had pain like this before!! #5  
"Do corn". :) We say the same thing up here. When we have a wheel barrow heaped full, and I say "we're gonna do corn today", it doesn't bring smiles from my wife or son.

/ Never had pain like this before!! #6  
I owned a sub sandwich shop who's tag line was....freshly sliced subs!

I sliced a patch off a finger once, sounds similar to yours. I was able to stop the bleeding.

I've felt lots of pain in my time, broken bones, surgeries, butt kicking etc but that little cut might have been the worse. Maybe because we have so many nerves in our hands?

I only comment because OP said the nurse told him to....brace himself.

That is one of the great comments in the movies. Mrs Doubtfire is telling the young gal not to expect too much when it comes to foreplay prior to intercourse.

Her comment was......"Mr Doubtfires idea of foreplay is when he says....Mrs doubtfire, brace yourself.

/ Never had pain like this before!! #7  
2 years ago I had my finger in the wrong place while using a log splitter. Here it is soon after being put back together, stitches all around and pins holding the flesh to bone. Needless to say I'm much more careful now!

Attachments

• received_3016892071659446001 (1).jpg
    received_3016892071659446001 (1).jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 135
   / Never had pain like this before!! #8  
Ouch! I have a 1/2 inch scar on my leg from a boning knife. It was 4 1/2 inches long and went in to the hilt. When I went to the ER with my jeans soaked in blood there were quite a few people but I went to the front of the line. I had my hand over it and the Dr told me to take it off. I said "you don't want me to do that" but he insisted so I did. Blood spurted out and when I heard the nurse say "Oh my GOD!" I covered it back up again and asked "Seen enough?"
Two stitches and I was good to go, but was on crutches for over a week. I didn't realize just how bad it was until I felt it start to heal way inside my leg.

/ Never had pain like this before!! #9  
It all started when I ordered these new paring knives from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They are Victorinox knives, made in Switzerland, and they are SHARP!! So I got one that I added on an order to get free shipping and we liked it so well that I ordered three more, one the with a serrated blade.

So the wife bought six dozen or so ears of corn and we were going to 'do corn' as we say in Kentucky. To make a long story short on the first ear the super sharp serrated blade went thru the shucks and cob like a stick of butter and I sliced a hunk of flesh off my left index finger. It hurt! I had sliced off about a quarter inch circle on the side of that finger. This is not the end of the story.

So I walked around using up five or six paper towels to soak up the blood. Grandkids, eight and four, were looking thru the trash can for granddaddy's finger. And after 35-40 minutes of constant bleeding my wife insisted that I go to the local Fast Pace clinic to get it sown up. I tried to explain that there was nothing to sew but she insisted. So I went.

Walked in and there was nobody waiting. Held up the blood soaked paper towel and they took me straight back to a room. This very pretty, very young, very nice young lady came in and looked at my finger and said that she was a nurse practitioner and could take care of it. I asked how and she replied that it would be "CHEMICAL CAUTERIZATION". Remember those words. I had to sign a bunch of papers. Then the little nurse practitioner pulled out what looked like a kitchen match with a black head on it. She put her left hand on my wrist pinning it to the tray, she said, "Brace yourself", and touched the end of the stick from he11 in the middle of the bloody wound. I screamed, jerked my hand back and yes I started crying. I have never had something hurt that bad. The pain went all the way up to my shoulder. After three or four minutes I calmed down enough to apologize to the young lady for acting so bad. It was a good ten minutes until she could finish rubbing the stick on the rest of the wound and it was nowhere as bad as the first touch. After it was over she said she had one man that had, "lost control of his bladder" after a treatment and that I hadn't acted that different from most.

Just remember the words "Chemical Cauterization" and if they are ever going to do that brace yourself.

RSKY
Silver Nitrate stick.. Silver Nitrate Sticks - What They Are & How They Work

You don't wanna see what they used the silver nitrate drops on after they took a large lump outta my back.

/ Never had pain like this before!! #10  
Mercy! I was wondering if New Skin would have worked?