Stihl KM 131R kombi review

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #111  
Why not use a polesaw for that?
Not very efficient. I would post pictures of what I'm cutting through except that I don't have any. If it was just one or two trees I would use an axe; when I dig out a power saw it's a wall of trees. I cut a swath, roll the trees over my shoulder and take a step then cut another swath. Clear, lay them down and repeat.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review
Here is a couple of things we found we didn't like on the machine.

The cap string is too short and the cap remains in the way.
P1120032.jpg

The 4 string head seems to have thin sections and the strings are breaking it. I'll ask our dealer about these issues.
P1120034.jpg

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #113  
My cap strings always seem to get twisted one direction too much which makes them shorter. I untwist them when they get that way. Helps somewhat.

I just put all my Echo gear up for sale on Criags list. I wonder if it pays to post it FS here??
echosale084.jpg

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #115  
It can't hurt. If you were closer I would be interested in one unit.

I just read your ad... is there a reason why you're switching to Stihl? As mentioned before I have a Stihl pole saw without a power head, and am trying to decide whether to buy a power head, or sell the saw and do something different.

It can't hurt. If you were closer I would be interested in one unit.

I just read your ad... is there a reason why you're switching to Stihl? As mentioned before I have a Stihl pole saw without a power head, and am trying to decide whether to buy a power head, or sell the saw and do something different.
The Stihl KM 131R has more HP*. The attachment system to accessories is much better. The choke and throttle setup is better. The on/off switch is better and Stihl is suppose to be coming out with another head for larger strings. There are other features I like over the Echo but these come to mind right now.

* only needed for running large strings.

Last edited:
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #117  
The Stihl KM 131R has more HP*. The attachment system to accessories is much better. The choke and throttle setup is better. The on/off switch is better and Stihl is suppose to be coming out with another head for larger strings. There are other features I like over the Echo but these come to mind right now.

* only needed for running large strings.
Thanks, I was just curious. I have two Echo chain saws and an Echo brush saw...they are solid items but the selling point was the price. If I used my chainsaws more I would go do something different.

Last edited:
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #118  
I just used my KM 131R yesterday and I’ve never noticed the Fuel cap string being short or in the way at all.

I recently bought the Edger attachment and that thing is great. Easy to use and the power of the KM 131R makes it equivalent in results to the McLane edger I have, just much easier to use.

Right now I’m using the straight shaft trimmer as a dedicated metal (3 point) blade attachment for some specific work I’m doing.

I will likely wind up with a pole saw attachment sooner or later.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #119  
The fuel cap string isn’t all twisted up is it? I’ve had that happen on some of my Stihl stuff.

The fuel cap string isn’t all twisted up is it? I’ve had that happen on some of my Stihl st
goeduck suggested that a few posts back. I've not messed with that unit this week but will try unwinding that cord the next time out. Thanks!