logsplitter question

/ logsplitter question #1  

lynn patterson

I am wondering about whether I should rent a log splitter or buy one to run off my tractor hydraulics. I have one large tree down that has been cut up and usually have 1-2 trees per year that need to be cut up and split that I have taken down or fell on its own in a storm, so not a lot of use but fairly constant.

Is it generally better to have a self powered splitter or to use your tractor? Which is more reliable/durable? Do these require much maintenance? Is the operation pretty simple? I can rent from Home depot here for ~$100/ day and have seen ads on this site or others for hydraulic run for about $1200-1400

Appreciate any advice for a relative novice at this

/ logsplitter question #2  
I am wondering about whether I should rent a log splitter or buy one to run off my tractor hydraulics. I have one large tree down that has been cut up and usually have 1-2 trees per year that need to be cut up and split that I have taken down or fell on its own in a storm, so not a lot of use but fairly constant.

Is it generally better to have a self powered splitter or to use your tractor? Which is more reliable/durable? Do these require much maintenance? Is the operation pretty simple? I can rent from Home depot here for ~$100/ day and have seen ads on this site or others for hydraulic run for about $1200-1400

Appreciate any advice for a relative novice at this
I would recommend buying a self powered unit.
Should be able to get one for under $1k.
Run it out of fuel when putting it away for the season and change the oil every 2 or 3 years with no more use then you say you will have.

I know I waited far too long before getting mine and that was back before the prices came down.

/ logsplitter question #3  
I'd run the self powered screamer and save hours on the tractor. Make sure you use ethanol-free rec gas in it.

/ logsplitter question #4  
Age old question which comes up regularly. You're best off browsing similar threads to see which answer suits you best.

/ logsplitter question #5  
If you have one or two trees a year, why bother? Use a splitting maul.

If you are in poor health, look at one of the cheap electric splitters for under $350.

/ logsplitter question
health not that bad but time availability is my biggest issue--hoping to get it done quicker

/ logsplitter question
I would recommend buying a self powered unit.
Should be able to get one for under $1k.
Run it out of fuel when putting it away for the season and change the oil every 2 or 3 years with no more use then you say you will have.

I know I waited far too long before getting mine and that was back before the prices came down.
thanks

/ logsplitter question #9  
So I will take a different approach / look at this... & I own a stand alone self-powered Timberwolve splitter & love it. However, if you are splitting only a couple trees a year then I would either consider renting a stand alone splitter (called someone else's problem when returned) or a 3pt splitter for your tractor (electric is not a bad option either as shooterdon recommended).

Rental..
- You need it for a very short period of time
- It is their problem to keep running
- you don't have to store it.... or maintain it..
- you only pay for the time you need it & when you pick it up... it is working... no troubleshooting... no bad gas issues... It Works

3pt Splitter..
- Depending on your tractor will be slower (unless you purchase one with it's own PTO pump) but you aren't splitting much...
- Almost zero maintenance... (no oil changes, no ethanol issues / no start issues.. etc)
- IMHO Tractor hour are not even a concern for the time to split a couple of trees pre year... diesels are made to run... you bought a tractor to use.. (if you were splitting 5+ cords a yr... then maybe)
- storage space for a 3pt splitter is much smaller than for a stand alone... (& drop it... no maintenance)
- Did I mention almost no maintenance

If you were looking to split a lot more wood per season... then I would have a completely different opinion. We split 4-6 cords a year, which is not much compared to some. We use our tractor to load & haul wood as we split. We supplement 60 -70% of our winter heat with wood.

So based on your description of use, I would either rent or use a 3Pt splitter.... I don't know what you have for a tractor, but for the limited use I don't think I would add a separate piece of equipment that needed regular maintenance (& I have one)...

/ logsplitter question #10  
I just rented a 34ton gas powered splitter in MO. last week, it was $91.00 total for 24 hrs. In reality it only ran about 2-3 hours but it was so hot we had to take frequent breaks. Moving those large diameter pieces for multiple splits was a chore!
The 8 hr. rate was 75 (plus tax).

We split an old oak tree about 36-38" diameter at the trunk. We cut it up early June and just had to split (one day) and load (Next day early morning while somewhat cooler) last week.

I'd suggest you rent as well. Get everything cut up and piled together so it's ready, then go rent the splitter and split it all. On a nice day I'd say you can split 4-5 trees worth of wood.