TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,281  
You just got me thinking and I came across this...

How practical, no clue, but the hoot factor probably off the scale...

Pretty noisy, even suppressed. Is that the action making all the noise? I can see it venting clouds of smoke.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,282  
Pretty noisy, even suppressed. Is that the action making all the noise? I can see it venting clouds of smoke.
Suppressor is only one part of the equation.

Take the can out of the equation, you still have barrel length, type of mechanical operation to cycle the round, type of ammo/bullet and ejection port size to deal with.

The set up in the video is about as loud and "smokiest" you're going to find on any gun IMO.

After his first go round, his can was ready to fall off. Surprised that made the cut unless the addressed it at the end, didn't watch the whole thing. Other than looking cool at first, I wouldn't be interested. 30 round drum of 12 gauge? My sling that carrys 10 is more than heavy enough for me to fill up and carry around LOL

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,283  
Loved the Greenville area, but after our last stay in Asheville, and drove into South Carolina from Asheville, seemed traffic was horrible.

Given time, population growth ruins everything IMO, but it's inevitable.

I just know that when I think it's hot here in NC, if I have to be in Columbia the next day, it's not only hot, but D**N hot in SC LMAO

It was at a hotel in Columbia during the winter (in the morning) that I learned what a South Carolina ice scraper was when our car windshields had ice of them. Credit card LMAO!

Personally, I just like hills / mountains and flat land drives me bonkers.

Idaho was my love as a younger man, my bones can't take the winters anymore though.
After residing (I didn't consider it living) in the foothills of the Rockies in colorado , I'll take flatlands any day!

Sometime when you are down in Columbia again, give me a shout , I'm almost on your way home, you can stop by and see what I'm talking about if you would like.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,284  
After residing (I didn't consider it living) in the foothills of the Rockies in colorado , I'll take flatlands any day!

Sometime when you are down in Columbia again, give me a shout , I'm almost on your way home, you can stop by and see what I'm talking about if you would like.
Just different strokes for different folks when it comes to topography ;)

My wife spending her first 33 years in Northern Vemont agrees she likes the area we're in as far as NC, as we even have some great sledding hills (particularly when the kids were younger) when we get snow right behind the house.

I'll keep your offer in mind, a sincere thank you. I'm about 20 mintues off of 77 about 30 minutes of the Virginia state line myself if you ever get north(y)

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,285  
Just different strokes for different folks when it comes to topography ;)

My wife spending her first 33 years in Northern Vemont agrees she likes the area we're in as far as NC, as we even have some great sledding hills (particularly when the kids were younger) when we get snow right behind the house.

I'll keep your offer in mind, a sincere thank you. I'm about 20 mintues off of 77 about 30 minutes of the Virginia state line myself if you ever get north(y)
I'm about 30 minutes east of 77 and 40 minutes south of the NC border.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,286  
I'm about 30 minutes east of 77 and 40 minutes south of the NC border.
Probably off that exit that has like a DQ with a gas station on one side and the trucker gas station on the other side. Seems about right 🤣

Need to elaborate... it's about 40 minutes south of the NC border where it seems to become no mans land, not a lot of exits, and pretty boring.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,287  
Today, I finally got around to testing the 16" BCA Grendel with 25.0gr IMR 8208XBR, 129gr Hornady Interlocks, at 2.100". Shot a 2.396" 5 shot group (4 out of 5 in 1.25") at 100 yards. Im currently running a very cheap Simmons 3-9×? in MIL (which i dislike). Good function, no pressure, felt pretty mild. Im not really going to start a full load work up, but I guess I'd call it a fall back, or rebound deer load, in case some other options don't work out.

I love the idea of Grendel, and I think it is probably an excellent round, but whats funny is I've never found a load, or factory ammo that really agree with this rifle. Now, its the absolute cheapest 6.5G barrel available, with a $60 scope, so I'm not sure I've gave it an honest chance.

I want to either get a Ruger American Predator or maybe a 20" Odinworks barrel. Still might look at upgrading the optics before I completely damn the barrel.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,288  
Today, I finally got around to testing the 16" BCA Grendel with 25.0gr IMR 8208XBR, 129gr Hornady Interlocks, at 2.100". Shot a 2.396" 5 shot group (4 out of 5 in 1.25") at 100 yards. Im currently running a very cheap Simmons 3-9×? in MIL (which i dislike). Good function, no pressure, felt pretty mild. Im not really going to start a full load work up, but I guess I'd call it a fall back, or rebound deer load, in case some other options don't work out.

I love the idea of Grendel, and I think it is probably an excellent round, but whats funny is I've never found a load, or factory ammo that really agree with this rifle. Now, its the absolute cheapest 6.5G barrel available, with a $60 scope, so I'm not sure I've gave it an honest chance.

I want to either get a Ruger American Predator or maybe a 20" Odinworks barrel. Still might look at upgrading the optics before I completely damn the barrel.

My sons Grendel shoots really well with IMR 8208 XBR but alas that powder disappeared even before the pandemic buy up.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,289  

Boy moved to the Grendel last year with great results on deer and hogs. Shoots ~MOA with Hornady black box. Someday I’ll get some dies for it but no real reason to so far.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,290  
Today, I finally got around to testing the 16" BCA Grendel with XX.X gr IMR 8208XBR, 129gr Hornady Interlocks, at 2.100". Shot a 2.396" 5 shot group (4 out of 5 in 1.25") at 100 yards. .. Good function, no pressure, felt pretty mild. I'm not really going to start a full load work up, but I guess I'd call it a fall back, or rebound deer load, in case some other options don't work out.

I love the idea of Grendel, and I think it is probably an excellent round, but whats funny is I've never found a load, or factory ammo that really agree with this rifle. .. $60 scope, so I'm not sure I've gave it an honest chance.

I want to either get a Ruger American Predator ((y) jon) or maybe a 20" Odinworks barrel. Still might look at upgrading the optics before I completely damn the barrel.

If your recipe specs 2.100" COL and no factories shoot well either, consider that you might have a 'long throat/leade'. Anything we buy is made to fit the shortest likely chamber & throat. Any gun will like certain ammo over others, and we can/do load our best for each gun. I suggest seating longer in increments up to what fits the mag and for starters will cycle manually.

Set a bullet into a fired case (slightly ovalled if need be) for a light slip fit. Chamber it and get an idea how far that bullet travels to contact the lands. Alt, see H'dy COL tools, ogive (.. and case bushings, shoulder length/setback when sizing, verify with head-space gauges if you have 'em) They're 'comparators' and a fired case is the easy chamber gauge vs casting one. (Just for COL this time if at all)

I do a lot of workups from a 'mid' charge (~5%,max) of a recipe because I'll tweak COL early-on and typically seat farther out. That drops pressure, and not all powders 'reduce' well. (If you seek reduced-recoil loads/powders see Lee's 2nd ed or revised (4198 y'know) for those that will and OR recent Speer manuals w/5744) Only ever had to seat deeper to fit a mag or to cycle but not with any of my own few dozen rifles/calibers.

A nice thing about ARs is that barrels aren't too pricey and swaps aren't rocket science. If a guy no DIY, .. who doesn't know someone who'll hook them up just to prove they can do it. (Dare 'em to do it right, for the best rate. ;)