TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,271  
Boone (1/2 hour from Tennessee) is about 90 minutes west from me, elevation 3,300'. I'm at the base of what they call the "foothills". Our property is far from flat and we like it that way.

Where I'm at, elevation is 1,066'

Raleigh elevation (about 2 hours east of me) is 315'.

Elevation helps in NC as far as how hot and cold the winters get.

I could have a clear sunny sky, about 40-50 dgrees during the winter, and Boone is getting hammered in a snowstorm. Boone averages around 35" of snow a year and Raleigh about 6" a year Never needed AC in the summe time in my car in NY, Pa, WV or Mass, but even where I'm at now, I was like screw this, I need a car during June, July and August LOL

I worked in both eastern and western Pennsylvania. Kind of no different than living in Crawford county in the western part of the state vs Berks county on the eastern side, although Crawford did see some lake affect snow from lake Erie as well.

Now to me, central SC (Spend time in Charlotte, 10 minutes away from the border, Columbia, Orangeburg and Charleston) just gets way too hot for my own taste.

Southwest Virginia is pretty nice as well IMO as well as Eastern Tennessee and Western SC.

I can squeeze out 235 yards shooting out back, but it's shooting down hill or 150 yards pretty much flat that runs along the creek (not to totally derail the thread ;)).
Well I, as I think you know, am in north central SC, the weather is pretty good, a few hot spells in the summer but that's what AC and the pool are for. Property prices are very reasonable and the state is very red with good gun laws.. dont give up on SC just yet.
And anywhere that gets over 70 in the summer requires AC in my book, unfortunately moved to colorado once, edge of the mountains, no AC in most of the houses there, they said it wasn't necessary.. cost me 8 grand to put central air in the first year!

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,272  
Small world, I’ve got a buddy in Boone…no it’s not Eustice.
Best "small world" experience with guns on my end...

Late 90's took some guys out shooting in NW Pennsyvlania (where I lived at the time) as they told me they had a place to shoot, and they'd like to try some AR's out. I considered these guys friends and customers/clients. We went to a place a guy knew that had some land. Week after we shot, the one guy told me that it was a great time, but the farmer who owned the land was a little ticked off because I had brought a crap load of ammo and we shot it all, and we weren't welcome back to shoot there anymore because to the farmer, it sounded like a war zone.

Couple of years later, I move to NC.

End up in a long distance relationship with a cute dentist (in Carey, 2 hours away), why it was worth the drive.

Year later while dating this girl, I was invited with her and her parents (who had lived in NC most of their lives) to visit her grandfather in NW Pa for Christmas.

We drive 10 hours north, end up at the grandparents house. I thought it was ironic becuase the area the grandparents lived was not too far from where I had moved down from Pennyslvania in the first place.

Get up in the morning at the grandparents house on Christmas morning, and I find the grandfather has one of his neighbors at the kitchen table for a morning coffee (which is why I was coming downstairs to being with lol).

The "neighbor" in the kitchen was the SAME guy who I took out with the AR couple years prior who had informed me that that the farmer who owned the land we shot on was ticked off, and we weren't invited back.

Turns out that the farmer (who was angry at us 2-3 years previously for shooting) was my girlfriends grandfather, and I was staying at his house after moving close to 500 miles away 2-3 years later.

We ALL got a pretty good laugh at it. Should of seen the grandfather when he said... "wait, you're the guy who brought all that ammo that day?" (and I'm visiting him from North Carolina)🤣

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,273  
Well I, as I think you know, am in north central SC, the weather is pretty good, a few hot spells in the summer but that's what AC and the pool are for. Property prices are very reasonable and the state is very red with good gun laws.. dont give up on SC just yet.
And anywhere that gets over 70 in the summer requires AC in my book, unfortunately moved to colorado once, edge of the mountains, no AC in most of the houses there, they said it wasn't necessary.. cost me 8 grand to put central air in the first year!
Loved the Greenville area, but after our last stay in Asheville, and drove into South Carolina from Asheville, seemed traffic was horrible.

Given time, population growth ruins everything IMO, but it's inevitable.

I just know that when I think it's hot here in NC, if I have to be in Columbia the next day, it's not only hot, but D**N hot in SC LMAO

It was at a hotel in Columbia during the winter (in the morning) that I learned what a South Carolina ice scraper was when our car windshields had ice of them. Credit card LMAO!

Personally, I just like hills / mountains and flat land drives me bonkers.

Idaho was my love as a younger man, my bones can't take the winters anymore though.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,274  
Anyway you cut it for hunting, the better ballistic performance outweighs the noise reduction by just dealing with the sonic crack of the louder supersonic round (think I mentioned that a long time ago ;) ).

End of the day, any bullet weight, any barrel length or powder type/weight still has one variable that CAN NOT CHANGE if you want it to be "quiet", and that's a velocity of under 1,200 feet a second. That is the almighty equalizier that no one can get past. Just go past it, shoot what you want supersonic, and deal with the sonic crack with a can at the end.

More than once have stated that my 26" 300 win mag suppressed sounds quieter to the shooters ears than a 16" AR suppressed.
Now you got me thinking about a suppressor on a rifled shotgun barrel. I have an old 36" barrel "goose gun" that people have told me sounds much quieter on the trap range. A silent shotgun would be an interesting piece of hardware.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,275  
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,276  
Now you got me thinking about a suppressor on a rifled shotgun barrel. I have an old 36" barrel "goose gun" that people have told me sounds much quieter on the trap range. A silent shotgun would be an interesting piece of hardware.
Take a look at suppressed black powder.....no stamps etc. Would be a fun for sure, I just can't seem to justify the $$$.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,278  
You just got me thinking and I came across this...

How practical, no clue, but the hoot factor probably off the scale...

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #8,280  
You just got me thinking and I came across this...

How practical, no clue, but the hoot factor probably off the scale...

Boy!! I like that!!!