Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)?

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #31  
No way! Tractors are kewl and you can’t put a pricetag on kool.
D744DE17-5E47-4753-9FA4-602FC70003BA.gif

Or spellin. 😜

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #32  
Well,--- I can live without tractors, but stay away from my skidloaders or we gonna have a problem!!!!! I use mine every day and have made about all the attachments for them.
IF I need a tractor for 1 or 2 jobs, I go next door and borrow 1 of my neighbors tractors!

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #33  
Not a chance for giving up a tractor for ss or ctl. Overall cost to maintain is insane on a ctl and ss. Bumpy ride and traction sucks. Only thing I see as a plus towards ss/ctl is maneuverability. Almost any attachment for a ss will go on a loader although remote hyd and maneuverability is more problematic on a tractor.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #34  
Not a chance for giving up a tractor for ss or ctl. Overall cost to maintain is insane on a ctl and ss. Bumpy ride and traction sucks. Only thing I see as a plus towards ss/ctl is maneuverability. Almost any attachment for a ss will go on a loader although remote hyd and maneuverability is more problematic on a tractor.

The maintenance cost isn’t that bad. It’s probably $5 an hour in track wear. Otherwise the maintenance isn’t much different from other equipment. $5 an hour hardly counts as insane in my book. And these machines will work circles around a compact tractor. Not only will they work circles they’re much tougher. How far do you have to look to find story’s of tractors with drained fluids because a limb ripped a filter off, busted front axels because they’re wimpy, tweaked loaders because they’re wimpy, bent cylinders because they’re not dozers, the 3 point hitch ripped off because they can’t run a backhoe? A CTL doesn’t break every time you mistreat it. Bottom line if you want to do actual work get a CTL, if you want to play around your house get a tractor.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #35  
The maintenance cost isn’t that bad. It’s probably $5 an hour in track wear. Otherwise the maintenance isn’t much different from other equipment. $5 an hour hardly counts as insane in my book. And these machines will work circles around a compact tractor. Not only will they work circles they’re much tougher. How far do you have to look to find story’s of tractors with drained fluids because a limb ripped a filter off, busted front axels because they’re wimpy, tweaked loaders because they’re wimpy, bent cylinders because they’re not dozers, the 3 point hitch ripped off because they can’t run a backhoe? A CTL doesn’t break every time you mistreat it. Bottom line if you want to do actual work get a CTL, if you want to play around your house get a tractor.
You bring up an interesting part I didn't specify size of tractor. With a scut and cut you are definitely correct with ctl/ss being tougher, depending on what type of ss. I was meaning a true industrial loader/backhoe in 8-10k lb or 40+ hp range

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #36  
You bring up an interesting part I didn't specify size of tractor. With a scut and cut you are definitely correct with ctl/ss being tougher, depending on what type of ss. I was meaning a true industrial loader/backhoe in 8-10k lb or 40+ hp range

An industrial loader is NOT a tractor. Even a larger farm tractor isn’t as strong or durable as a CTL. But this thread wasn’t started to compare industrial loaders and farm tractors to a CTL. It was started to compare compact tractors. And a compact tractor has the advantage of not tearing up the grass but when it comes time to actually do work the CTL is way more capable.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #37  
I'm meaning jd 110tlb or g-k-m size kubota for the size of tractor.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #38  
I'm meaning jd 110tlb or g-k-m size kubota for the size of tractor.

The JD110 was a tractor and it was famous or lack there of for busted bell housings. The M59 was a better tool but it’s still not nearly as tough as a CTL.

Last edited:
   / Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #39  
I consider the loader on my kubota m9540 basically for "chores" only and agree with 4570. Now I'll load out of a pile and fork or grapple loads, but will not do any heavy ground engagement or digging work with it. But then I do have a large SS to jump on.

/ Would you give up a tractor for a skid steer (CTL)? #40  
got a tractor with loader, also purchased attachments such as grass cutting, snow blowing and backhoe, all I can say it sits in a container, did try to trench the gas and electric lines, after a couple days and only about 30 feet I purchased a real backhoe in a CAT 420, it cleared the ground, dut a couple miles of trenches and still works today after 15 years, I also have a skidsteer, it does the snow blowing, grass cutting and just about any job I need around the acreage, meanwhile the tractor and attachments have been parked for 12 years