Earth's Hottest Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Earth's Hottest Month #331  
   / Earth's Hottest Month #332  
Do "museums" have the following?

"There’s so much to do at the Ark Encounter! Explore our massive family playground, built for kids of all abilities. Attend daily programs, concerts, and presentations in our 2,500-seat Answers Center. Soar through the air on zip lines, reaching up to 50 mph and 17 stories high! Visit animals from around the world at the Ark Encounter’s Ararat Ridge Zoo. And more!"
Yeah, that's when it is more like a theme park.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #333  
I admittedly haven't read the whole thread, but I believe that deforestation is a much bigger threat than CO2 emissions. Global warming is a natural phenomenon, and mankind's contribution is rather puny.
Interestingly enough, in the US, there are more trees now than in 1492. The invaders from Europe had a thing for lumber and shade and planted a bunch of them in the Plains. They even got the government in on it and got free land for planting trees. Sure enough, enough of them trees in close proximity and they got to breeding. Now they're all over what used to be pristine grasslands.

Another dirty little secret, the vast majority of the CO2 -O2 exchange happens in the oceans via algae.
What Produces Most of the World's Oxygen?

/ Earth's Hottest Month #334  

Even better, forest management could actually improve the air. If the dinosaurs just had better scientists, maybe they would still be around.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #335  
Yes Indeed. The country roads during this pandemic filled up with trash, from people not wanting to pay a $5 per load fee in the county landfill. I found Tires, washer-dryers, old sofas, broken furniture, and lots of broken tiles and concrete. Even found a boat being abandoned, so i took photos of the guy and his tow vehicle and sent them to the Sheriff's office. Two days later he was back with a Sheriff watching him load the boat up. Happily, the county picks up the trash each week. Some people today are just lazy and have no sense of community spirit in doing the right thing.
I don’t know how he knows CO2 emissions aren’t harmful, but I do know from his statement he didn’t read this, or like publications.

Here's one explanation...

Interesting article. And that is the paradox of CO2 based on geologic history, the global warming has consistently preceded changes in CO2. We all talk about climate change denials, but many climatologists themselves are in denial, and will not allow paleontologists, geologists or geophysics to peer review their research papers.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #336  
Interesting article. And that is the paradox of CO2 based on geologic history, the global warming has consistently preceded changes in CO2. We all talk about climate change denials, but many climatologists themselves are in denial, and will not allow paleontologists, geologists or geophysics to peer review their research papers.
Everyone could learn a lot by reading the “Breaking News: The Climate Actually Changes” article.
We actually declared independence from the British crown near the end of a “mini ice age”

/ Earth's Hottest Month #338  
"—in 1630 the area of forest land that would become the United States was 423 million hectares or about 46 percent of the total land area. By 1907, the area of forest land had declined to an estimated 307 million hectares or 34 percent of the total land area. Forest area has been relatively stable since 1907. In 1997, 302 million hectares— or 33 percent of the total land area of the United States— was in forest land. Today’s forest land area amounts to about 70 percent of the area that was forested in 1630. Since 1630, about 120 million hectares of forest land have been converted to other uses—mainly agricultural. More than 75 percent of the net conversion to other uses occurred in the 19th century."

I read a study from somewhere that the number of deer is higher now than the 1600.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #339  
"—in 1630 the area of forest land that would become the United States was 423 million hectares or about 46 percent of the total land area. By 1907, the area of forest land had declined to an estimated 307 million hectares or 34 percent of the total land area. Forest area has been relatively stable since 1907. In 1997, 302 million hectares— or 33 percent of the total land area of the United States— was in forest land. Today’s forest land area amounts to about 70 percent of the area that was forested in 1630. Since 1630, about 120 million hectares of forest land have been converted to other uses—mainly agricultural. More than 75 percent of the net conversion to other uses occurred in the 19th century."

I read a study from somewhere that the number of deer is higher now than the 1600.
There very well may be more trees than there were 450 years ago in the U.S. due to lumber plantations. But they are not healthy forest, and not as large a biomass as what was here back then.

I've read the deer estimates as well.

/ Earth's Hottest Month #340  
Global warming should promote more plant growth and plants consume C02 and off-gas O2.
Obviously this is a sound theory. But when in reality, (if) rapid climate change causes unpredictability in regional climates, including already observed localized trends to distinctly hotter, cooler, wetter OR drier, local plants can't react that quickly. Instead the native flora are more likely to be decimated by abrupt changes, invalidating your theory. So it would seem, anyway. I suppose if mankind wants to import invasive species all around the world as tailored to new climate regimes, we could theoretically absorb some more CO2. But it's not like eons-old native tree species are going to love a rapid change in climate and respond by growing aggressively. We're already seeing the opposite, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.