Getting a new portable fuel tank.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #1  

WM75Guy

Elite Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75, NH TC40DA
With the new WM75 having a 20 gallon fuel tank and using more fuel per hour than the Boomer 8N that I was using for mowing, I needed a better solution than 5 gallon cans to fill it up. I bought a 3/4 ton military trailer with the idea of putting a 100 gallon tank and pump system in it. That way I just take it to the gas station, fill it up, bring it home, and fuel all the equipment from it. After pricing all of the components I settled on a complete system I can just drop in the trailer. Waiting on Amazon to deliver a John Dow 58 gallon fuel system.

I will put a battery in the trailer with a solar charger. I can put in some tie-down points to strap the tank down with ratchet straps. Hopefully it will be simple enough to operate my wife can fill her tractor or the ZTR if needed. I already have a 13 gallon gravity feed gas tank that I will mount at the back to fill up the Mule.

Pictures to come after I get it together.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #2  
What i did. I dont bother with a solar charger as i only need to recharge battery once a year. I mounted mine to pallet so i could load and unload onto pickup to refill. Rollers in shop. Mine holds 55 gallons of diesel. Has own 12vdc pump and 10’ hose With auto stop nozzle. Also 10gpm. My back is so happy not having to heft 5 gallon cans

Attachments

• fuel 1.jpg
    fuel 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 762

Attachments

• fule 2.jpg
    fule 2.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 441

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #3  
Did you check with the local fuel distributor for delivery?

The one I use only has a 60 gallon minimum. I buy 100 gallons at a time. Cost is usually a little under pump price for off road delivered.

I just picked up a 100 gallon Freightliner tank. I was using 55 gallon drums. When I finish using my last drum I plan to move the tank where the drums are now and strap my pump on it. I have a 100W solar panel on the roof and a group 27 battery on the controller in the barn.

IMG_2830.JPG

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #4  
I pump Diesel fuel with a 12V GPI fuel transfer pump & filter setup, connected to group 27 deep cycle battery which gets recharged once a year.

Been using the same battery over five years without any problems.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #5  
One thing to ponder is storing quantities of fuel and how your insurance might be affected.
I'd suspect there might be some surprises.
They like to collect premiums but are often relenting come payout time.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #6  
We have a 200 gallon upright farm fuel tank with a hand crank pump. Works great and filling the over 20 gallon tank on the tractor only takes a few mins. You should look at farm auctions since they are often sold cheap. I have a fuel service fill the tank so it is very easy. It sits on a metal skid that I salvaged from a 72 inch rototiller that was truck shipped so I can use the pallet forks on the tractor to move it around if needed

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Getting a new portable fuel tank. #7  
Storing gas in bulk might be an issue, but ive never had issues storing diesel.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #8  
What i did. I dont bother with a solar charger as i only need to recharge battery once a year. I mounted mine to pallet so i could load and unload onto pickup to refill. Rollers in shop. Mine holds 55 gallons of diesel. Has own 12vdc pump and 10’ hose With auto stop nozzle. Also 10gpm. My back is so happy not having to heft 5 gallon cans

Attachments

• fuel 1.jpg
    fuel 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 762

Attachments

• fule 2.jpg
    fule 2.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 441
10 gpm on a 12v battery? Have you measured that flow rate?

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #9  
10 gpm on a 12v battery? Have you measured that flow rate?
Yes. Its a 10 gpm. I can fill my kioti tank 11.9 gal in just a bit over 1 minute. I tested it when i first got the tank.

there are lots of 10-12 gpm 12 v pumps out there.

/ Getting a new portable fuel tank. #10  
Minimum delivery here is 150 gallons so I made up a frame to hold 50 gal tank and use the forks to put it in and out of the PU trunk.

Gets filled about twice a year. Biggest expense was the 12v pump....about $125. I use one of those portable 12v booster packs to power it.