Diesel newbie-operating questions

/ Diesel newbie-operating questions #31  
Just a few thoughts of someone that has worked with farm machinery for over 20 years, small engines for over 15 years. Also studied recommendations of people that should know how to operate engines, manufacturers, and other "experts".

Most recommend to start engine allow a minimum time to run at about half throttle, 30 seconds to a minute, the go to work s l o w l y. Reason-- the engine will warm up faster doing work than sitting idle, wear is reduced as the engine warms up faster, fuel is burned more efficiently by a warmed up engine, pollution is reduced. On diesels recommend starting at WOT then pulling the throttle back as soon as it "hits" before the rpm starts to climb. This usually gives a full fuel load for quicker starting, some pumps has an excess fuel button for the same purpose.

If an engine especially a diesel is left to sit idling the combustion chambers cool down and fuel is not burnt efficiently or completely. You will get what is called wet stacking on most diesels that are not worked hard. Wet stacking is when unburned fuel collects in the exhaust system and runs out of the manifold, muffler, or exhaust connections, most folks will say "oil is leaking where the muffler connects to the manifold" nope not oil but diesel fuel that has turned black from soot. After an diesel has been warmed up and started it is usually not difficult or hard on the starter to restart, of course there are some that need glow plugged even in 90* weather. Shutting the down save wear on the whole tractor and reduces pollution.

As for shutting down the engine IF the tractor has been loaded do NOT shut off immediately leave it idle to half throttle for a few minutes before shutting down. Years ago some farmers had a problem cracking heads, found they would be plowing, or other heavy loads and just shut it off. Give the engine temperatures time to equalize and get rid of the hot spots before stopping the engine, then bring down to an idle for a minute before shutting down, especially the turbo needs the heat equalized and removed from the exhaust side or the seals coke with oil and leak thru the exhaust. Ever hear a turbo whirring after engine shut down? remember no oil no lubrication.

Even had some farmers who never used the throttle on NA engines. Started it wide open and shut it down wide open. Wonder why his repair bill was high?
WOT Perhaps on older diesels. That is exactly opposite of what most modern user manuals say. My kioti for example (covers 2610 mechanical and 3510/4010 common rail with DPF) are start at idle and let warm before operating at load.

So I start at idle (1000 rpm), back out of the barn, rev to 1500 until the temp gage begins moving, rev to 2200-2400, and work lightly until temp is normal then run hard.

On shutdown I let idle (1000 rpm) for 1-2 min per the manual

/ Diesel newbie-operating questions
WOT Perhaps on older diesels. That is exactly opposite of what most modern user manuals say. My kioti for example (covers 2610 mechanical and 3510/4010 common rail with DPF) are start at idle and let warm before operating at load.

So I start at idle (1000 rpm), back out of the barn, rev to 1500 until the temp gage begins moving, rev to 2200-2400, and work lightly until temp is normal then run hard.

On shutdown I let idle (1000 rpm) for 1-2 min per the manual
My tractor will start when the throttle is set to about 1000 RPM but is quite noisy when I forget and do that. It sure seemed weird to me starting at full throttle but like I said in my first post this is my first diesel.

/ Diesel newbie-operating questions #33  
Here's what the owner's manual for my 2016 Kubota M7060 says about warmup:
Kubota engine warmup.jpg

/ Diesel newbie-operating questions #34  
I let my 5075M idle at 1100 RPM and John Deere says to idle it at that speed so.... I don't let it idle all day, I dont shut it off for less than 15 minutes of idle, I cool it down 4 minutes after mowing etc.I dont have DEF, its a 2013.