Rpms for backhoe

/ Rpms for backhoe #41  
Regarding rpm's..... I have hardly ever had it near high rpm's. I hardly ever have it at maybe 50%. Just no need for it, I can get what I need done at just above idle speeds. Every now & then I'll juice it up a bit but I'm in the camp of slower & easy.

Bout the only time(s) I'll lean into the rpm's is if I'm ripping out a stump. Everything else is usually a faster than fast, idle.
I'm sure no expert but everything i've read states that if you have a dpf machine the engine needs to be run hard. my dealer said, run the hell outta it, it's a kuboata.

i think it has more to do with it being dpf vs kuboata but, in any case the experts say, (if dpf) run it hard and under load.

According to the articles, the dpf won't function properly if it doesn't heat up, running it a lower rpms does not get it hot enough.

Results in something called diesel stacking, lots to read on all that.

I'd much rather run at 1500 but i've forced myself to run the hell out of it, its a kuboata.

funny, spell check kept changing dpf to dog.......

i will never be able to spell kuboata!

nor can i tell am from pm!

Last edited:
   / Rpms for backhoe #42  
Ran different backhoes without a thumb before getting a thumb equipped backhoe. There’s no going back. Love my pre tier4 engines that can thrive at low rpm and short chore. Fits my ears and lifestyle better.

/ Rpms for backhoe #43  
I'd love to convert my manual thumb to a hydraulic thumb. idk if you could use one of the rear removes as a source for the hydraulic or if you have to tap in some other way... I'll have to search for a thread on doing this. I occasionally manage to pick something up with the manual thumb, but getting the positioning right isn't easy at all - being able to start pulling a boulder up out of the ground with the bucket and then closing the thumb on it sounds like heaven!

/ Rpms for backhoe #44  
Hydraulic thumb is definitely a great addition! Very hard to go back after using a machine with one. Well worth the investment on an extra valve, hoses and fittings.

Probably the best thing I did to my homemade backhoe. Turns out, it kinda works as hunting weapon as well. 🤣

IMG_20210406_110458.jpg
IMG_20210406_110524.jpg

/ Rpms for backhoe #45  
So what's the most common way to add a hydraulic thumb on a backhoe? An electric 3rd function or diverter type valve mounted on the backhoe boom arm, that steals flow from the bucket curl circuit temporarily? My new (to me) Kioti w/ backhoe has a mechanical thumb, but it is a bear to reposition, can't see it getting used too often, as a result.

/ Rpms for backhoe #46  
There's a thread somewhere where a member here converted their Branson Ansung hoe thumb to hydraulic. They added a section in the middle of the Walvoil sectional valve, which is a super clean way to do it. I agree that the mechanical thumb is kind of limited.

I run my 3725 at 1800-2000 rpm when using the BH. The more practice I get, the more often I use two or three valves at once, and that uses more flow than operating a single valve.

/ Rpms for backhoe #47  
Ran different backhoes without a thumb before getting a thumb equipped backhoe. There’s no going back. Love my pre tier4 engines that can thrive at low rpm and short chore. Fits my ears and lifestyle better.
I like to run at easy low RPM. It fits the way I do chores better.

Just musing now.....hydraulic pressure is what makes BH cylinder power, but hydraulic pressure doesn't necessarily change with RPM.... although flow/minute certainly does. That may explain why some people use a much hight BH operating RPM

I believe that our Kubota TLBs - like the M62, M59 and L48 have a lot more flow/minute available at low RPM than utility tractors with add-on hoes. So there may not be a simple "apple to RPM" type of comparison that makes sense.

Here's an example of what I mean: To enable the M59 operator to use multiple BH controls at the same time & still have speed and power at any RPM, Kubota added an extra hydraulic pump that only powers the BH swing function.

When the BH is dismounted and the 3pt in place I believe that swing pump becomes the 3pt pump.... not sure on that.....

But being designed from the ground up to power a backhoe has advantages. One of them is full power and speed at low RPM.
rScotty

/ Rpms for backhoe #48  
   / Rpms for backhoe #49  
still lovin' my bh. it don't look it but
75199614-554D-4191-A5BE-9E8F9AC650A8.jpeg
, that bad boy had me stumped for quite a while! it's about 4 ft deep in the photo and i had to go another 2 ft to get it out!

I've become a stumps worst nitemare!

/ Rpms for backhoe #50  
Can't beat the BH for placing landscape boulders!

IMG_1479.jpg