Rpms for backhoe

/ Rpms for backhoe #1  

thunder86

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct4045
I have a bobcat ct4045 and I’m wondering what rpms I should run my backhoe at? I looked through my manual on the backhoe and I’m not seeing anything. I’m assuming it’s between the normal two lines for running a pto implement.
Also I’m not good at running the backhoe yet, terrible actually, and want to run it lower so I don’t jerk as much. Is it ok to run it with the throttle low? Thanks.

/ Rpms for backhoe #4  
I have a bobcat ct4045 and I’m wondering what rpms I should run my backhoe at? I looked through my manual on the backhoe and I’m not seeing anything. I’m assuming it’s between the normal two lines for running a pto implement.
Also I’m not good at running the backhoe yet, terrible actually, and want to run it lower so I don’t jerk as much. Is it ok to run it with the throttle low? Thanks.
I would say that typically as long as you are not lugging the engine you are ok. I usually operate between 1400 and 2000 rpm. I always believe it's better to be smooth than fast when operating machinery. You tend to have less mechanical failures and cheaper maintenance.

The only thing I am not sure about is how rpm and load relate to the new emissions systems. Perhaps someone else can pipe in here that has more knowledge about regen cycles and if a certain rpm might reduce the frequency of that having to happen.

Hope this helps!!

/ Rpms for backhoe #5  
Run it a the RPM the backhoe works best for you.
The speed/control of my backhoe works best for me If I run around 2100 RPM

/ Rpms for backhoe #6  
AFAIK, the only difference engine RPM makes to the hydraulic system is flow rate; pressure should be pretty consistent regardless*.

So definitely to begin with, lower RPMs to keep flow rate down so you can get used to controlling the machine without it moving too rapidly. It should be able to dig the same at 1500 as 2500 rpm, just at a different speed.

*: I wouldn't be surprised if right at idle the pressure is a little lower than a bit above, but it won't be a huge difference.

/ Rpms for backhoe #7  
I've been operating my backhoe attachment A LOT for the past year-and-one-half. I run it at idle (1,000 rpm's) to 1400 RPM's. Smooth and easy. I'm aware of no damage to anything related to hydraulics of the engine. I also perceive no difference in hydraulic strength with varying engine speed - everything takes longer, which suits me fine.

/ Rpms for backhoe #8  
Run it at low rpm and practice your moves a few times/sessions w/o digging. After a while you'll get the feel of the sticks and in time become more graceful. I often exercise my Terramite at start-up listening for pivot squeaks that suggest it's overdue for a greasing. Warms up my hydro (and hands) and I can position cyls 'by the book', then shut down to check hydro level.

/ Rpms for backhoe #9  
If you have a newer machine with DEF or DPF you want to run your tractor at WOT all the time. If you have an old school machine you can run your machine at the lowest possible throttle that gives you the control and speeds you want.

/ Rpms for backhoe #10  
another coincidence

my buddy was running my bh, digging a hole to bury stumps. he loves to drive the tractor and he's very careful....plus i'm right there keeping an eye on things. yesterday, he was digging and i was burning the pile and he called me over.

he was at about 1500 rpm, simple digging in good clean soil, nothing out of the ordinary and POW.

he said he heard a loud pow and smelled smoke and saw fluid all over the place. i just walked away to look later. i did ask if he was trying to scoot something over with the bh bucket, nope, just digging.

one of the hydraulic lines looks to have failed. it's one of the short ones that control the right to left etc movement of the boom.

i will remove today to confirm but, i'm pretty sure its toast.

i never had to replace a hydraulic line. i can go to the local dealer but....is there a better source?

i will also call my local buddies but....any suggestions? i did see a hydraulic repair place in the neighborhood.

Is there such a thing as standard off the shelf hoses other than from the dealer?

it begins........