How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ?

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #21  
Did you ask the dealer what they put in the front axle?
Then ask for a sample of what he put in your front axel.
Maybe he didn't even change it???

willy

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #22  
When you rebuild something (engine, car/truck, m'cycle, trans, etc) the first oil change is likely to show the most detritus/swarf, plug a filter in the fewest miles/hours, etc. By 400 hrs I'd have changed hydro and engine oil & filters a few times. If this is the first time the front axle has been drained I wouldn't be surprised to see it dark. I suggest checking color again 50 hrs or so after a fluid change.

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #23  
When I changed the oil and tranny fluid the filters
were clean after 50 hours and the oil in the front
axel looked OK but changed it anyway
In fact the tranny fluid looked new I never change
the tranny fluid in my truck unless it starts changing color. Also I don't believe you really need to change the axel juice as years ago we never change axel fluid unless the gears. bearings were replaced. I replaced the axel fluids in my truck with approx 115,000 miles and
used a magnet but found nothing!
Dealership says you should change every 20,000 miles just more money for them

willy

Last edited:
   / How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ?
Did you ask the dealer what they put in the front axle?
Then ask for a sample of what he put in your front axel.
Maybe he didn't even change it???

willy
Well I'm assuming it was probably Super UDT2 as that's what Kubota recommends. If it wasn't, then that could be some of the confusion on color for sure!!

When you rebuild something (engine, car/truck, m'cycle, trans, etc) the first oil change is likely to show the most detritus/swarf, plug a filter in the fewest miles/hours, etc. By 400 hrs I'd have changed hydro and engine oil & filters a few times. If this is the first time the front axle has been drained I wouldn't be surprised to see it dark. I suggest checking color again 50 hrs or so after a fluid change.
Good recommendation! I was thinking 200 for the next change, but it may very well need more before that!

There are several oil analysis labs, though Blackstone is the one most commonly known.
I had them do oil analysis on my marine transmissions at every 100 hours, since I suspected a problem was coming.
I headed it off, and replaced transmissions, rather than risk being stranded in the Bahamas.
Pro-active!!!

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #27  
NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!

It makes an "ASS" out of "U" and "ME"

willy

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #28  
Well I'm assuming it was probably Super UDT2 as that's what Kubota recommends. If it wasn't, then that could be some of the confusion on color for sure!!
My dealer uses 80-90 for the front axle, when I bought my B it came with 80-90 from the dealer. My L3240 I bought used and was maintained by a different dealer, it had 80-90 in it when I got it so it is a possibility yours doesn't have SUDT2, should be able to find out from your selling dealer if you bought new.

/ How soon is soon enough for Super UDT2 in Front Axle ? #30  
On my L5740, I thought an excellent name brand synthetic gear oil would be better for my front end, so at first change I went to 75W-140. About 200 hours later the first wheel bearing failure - and 50 hours after that the other side. My L6060 is now nearing 800 hours using only SUDT-2. One caveat - the L5740 probably did a lot more loader work as I now have a SVL-75-2 that is my real loader toy. But your axle oil really does not look out of line for first change from the unfiltered front.