Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,421  
It's a very simple charging system. We bought this enclosed 50A receptacle from Amazon (30A-50A is the same receptacle) connected to a 40A breaker. The Model 3 already come with a NEMA-14-50P adapter for its charging cable so that's all we required. Wired a #8 3 conductors (red, black and white + ground) wire from the breaker box to the receptacle. We were already renovating/repainting so make holes in the drywall at the junction of the ceiling and the wall to pass the wire wasn't an issue. Distance was 85' so #8 wire was the recommended size for that distance.
I would have paid a bit more for #6 copper. You wired a NEMA 14-50 which is usually expected to be on a 50A circuit for 40A continuous duty. And you are placing it where an RV could access. Upping the capacity a bit future-proofs the installation.

Tesla does not use neutral, but you have to have it to be code compliant with the 14-50. The RV requires neutral to be able to split the 240 into two 120 circuits.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#4,424  
I would have paid a bit more for #6 copper. You wired a NEMA 14-50 which is usually expected to be on a 50A circuit for 40A continuous duty. And you are placing it where an RV could access. Upping the capacity a bit future-proofs the installation.

Tesla does not use neutral, but you have to have it to be code compliant with the 14-50. The RV requires neutral to be able to split the 240 into two 120 circuits.
I have the same configuration as SylvainG because 30 years ago the #6 with 40 amp breaker was ran to my external garage. My EVSE is rated for up to 40 amps with Tesla in mind. My 6.6 amp Leaf charger draw maxs out at 26 amp draw. Using my current set up what would a new Tesla try to draw? The EVSE seller said he tested it on Tesla and it worked but the Tesla adapter did get warm. I could have went with the cheaper 30 amp but my geek streak liked it's #8 wire size. :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,425  
Worth watching, for a few reasons.....

To date, other than the sandbox and sometime S. American dictatorships, USA prices are often the lowest in the World.

Siemens is not known for getting involved in weak Business Cases.

(Create Hydrogen from Wind.... too bad you couldn't do that with PV panels..... :cool:....).

As this is a premium fuel, let's compare to Premium gasoline. Today, Premium is $1.80/L CAD in Vancouver BC.

Time value of Money, yadayadayada...... estimating $2.00/L USD five years out..... it's depressingly sad to type, but, that's not looking so bad..... even w/o considering Covid hyper-inflation....

This one may have legs....

Rgds, D.
The difference in US prices and many places in the world is simply due to taxes.

The huge problem with renewable energy is that it is intermittent and requires energy storage. Batteries are very expensive any way you slice and dice them, especially if one needs to run HVAC. Some countries in Europe are pushing to get rid of all house heating via oil and gas along with wood and peat. Where the %^&*()_ are they going to get the power to heat homes? They are getting rid of coal, oil and nuke power plants and replacing with solar and wind. Without huge, efficient and cheap energy storage, they are going to be in a world of hurt....

Some US states are following this path too.

The advantage of Hydrogen is that it can be stored, though storage is not as simple as oil. One can use renewable power to create Hydrogen. The Shetland Islands, which ironically have huge oil and gas reserves around them, also has very windy conditions and produces more wind power than they can use. They are using some of that power to create Hydrogen to power things. It might not be the most efficient to use the wind to produce power, which then creates Hydrogen that is then used to produce power, or directly run an engine, but if one has plenty of renewable power, does it need to be the most efficient?

We already have high inflation and it is only going to get worse. Fuel prices are the tip of the iceberg. Our fuel usage is minimal because of the pandemic. If it wasn't because of my second job, I would be only using 30-60 gallons of diesel a year vs 1,000-1,200 gallons I used prepandemic. Even with the second job, I think I am only using around 100-150 gallons. Direct fuel costs are going to be a nit for us if I can continue to work from home.

Toyota is betting on Hydrogen powered vehicles.

Later,
Dan

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,428  
...Toyota is betting on Hydrogen powered vehicles....

They will still be electric vehicles...hydrogen fuel cells (etc.) will replace the rechargeable battery...

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,429  
They will still be electric vehicles...hydrogen fuel cells (etc.) will replace the rechargeable battery...
They're hydrogen/electric cars. Just like train engines are diesel/electric.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,430  
Oh @/pine just think. Soon your cats can drive Teslas!

Image 9-13-21 at 2.58 PM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.