Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,451  
Batteries are VERY expensive and have a lifetime. Lead acid batteries, depending on the type, might get 500-1,100 cycles, before needing to be replaced. LiFePo batteries might go as high as 5,000 cycles depending on how deeply they are discharged/cycled. Most LiFePo battery makers are talking about 2,000-3,000 cycles.
You are citing consumer grade batteries, not utility grade. In 2013 Purdue said, "Batteries generally have a lifetime cycle capacity generally in the range of about 5,000 to 10,000 cycles, although a few advanced batteries are rated at over 100,000 cycles." Page 8 of: https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/energy/assets/pdfs/SUFG/publications/SUFG Energy Storage Report.pdf

Furthermore you are pretending hydrogen equipment never wears out.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,452  
Efficiency-wise, what tends to get ignored are the losses inherent in the electricity-grid. Until low-cost superconductors are produced in volume, or Ohm's Law gets repealed, they won't go away. My utility uses their Losses as an excuse to bump up my bill - I pay for more kwh than I actually use. That ^ excuse to crank up my bill, actually irritates me the least of all the fairy-tale fees they fabricate, as it's based on actual physics....
The power grid in USA is on average about 94% efficient generator-to-consumer.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,453  
The power grid in USA is on average about 94% efficient generator-to-consumer.
I would have lost that bet.

i got a job once because i was able to answer the question.....what are disty power lines run at such high voltage.

but......i thought there must be larger losses in the wires, they are made of steel!

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#4,454  

I expect Tesla moving away from the traditional silicone chips more and more is impacting the demands on makers if new chip technology actually giving a 5% increase in EV range using the same size battery.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,455  
Community solar heating site in Alberta.

As with your A/C needs, Heat is non-optional up here a good chunk of the year, and similarly unrealistic to provide totally with alt nrg.

Last edited:
#4,457  

Here an updated support for the above changes coming our way.

Crashing farm land prices rocked my boat. Farm animal demand dropping like a rock stopped my rocking boat when it landed on the rocks.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,458  
I skipped through that video and saw where this guy believes the dairy industry will be bankrupt by 2030 due to artificial milk being manufactured. My sister's family has a 1,000 cow dairy herd and their banker has indicated that they should continue to expand and double in size every 10 years.
I guess their banker hasn't heard what's going to happen in 9 years or this guy is dreaming.

#4,459  
The Feds bought out many of the dairy farmers herds 15-20 years ago for some reason.

Seba has a long successful track record. The EPA has many types of farming in their crosshairs especially concentrated animal husbandry.

Beyond Burgers, etc are not fad any more than EVs. Steaks can already be printed from lab grown meat protein.

We may not be going into a brave New World situation but I expect we're going into a situation where we need to be brave for the new world coming.

Farming requires too much use of fossil fuel in fertilizers etc to make some happy.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #4,460  
but......i thought there must be larger losses in the wires, they are made of steel!
I eat lunch once per week with a senior manager of the local electric utility. He says they use a wire made of a steel core and aluminum outer as the primary conductor. Only the service entrance drop is insulated.

The neighborhood feed is usually 900-1000 volts. I find amazing that 20 or so homes can have 200A service from that one wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.