Starlink

/ Starlink #1,321  
guys fiber is pretty easy, especially if its pre terminated which is really all that you should be looking at. MM is easily capable at this distance, and the SFP's are generally cheaper, bidi can be used as well, but weigh the costs of the transceivers vs the cost of another pair of fiber (its not a big jump to go from 2 strand to 4 strand etc)

this comes with the sfp's just need the fiber, (fs.com is a good resource)

if you guys need more complex or turn key solutions, I do consult on this (remotely)

good luck, it also prevents surges or ground imbalances.

Last edited:
   / Starlink #1,322  
Multimode fiber is easier to work with & cheaper. You can get gigabit over multimode up to 1km. So unless you need higher speed over longer distance you will be better off with multimode. I pulled 350' of pre-terminated through some existing conduit down my driveway a few years ago for under $200. Switch & SFP on the far end was $120-140 or so I think.

No ground loops, lightning paths or corrosion issues with fiber. That ignores how you power gear at the far end, but it keeps the issues out of your data network at least. No RF interference or alignment issues either.

/ Starlink #1,323  
Multimode fiber is easier to work with & cheaper. You can get gigabit over multimode up to 1km. So unless you need higher speed over longer distance you will be better off with multimode. I pulled 350' of pre-terminated through some existing conduit down my driveway a few years ago for under $200. Switch & SFP on the far end was $120-140 or so I think.

No ground loops, lightning paths or corrosion issues with fiber. That ignores how you power gear at the far end, but it keeps the issues out of your data network at least. No RF interference or alignment issues either.
What connectors did you use on the FO cable? What was the size of the conduit? I'm wondering what size conduit one would need to use with LC connectors.

/ Starlink #1,324  
What connectors did you use on the FO cable? What was the size of the conduit? I'm wondering what size conduit one would need to use with LC connectors.
you need to determine how many connectors, 3/4 would be fine for a single pair.

/ Starlink #1,325  
you need to determine how many connectors, 3/4 would be fine for a single pair.
Probably 3/4", I'd have to go check though. I wouldn't run anything through smaller than 3/4" these days. Better to pay a few bucks for bigger conduit than fight friction cramming stuff into to small of conduit & breaking wires or other stuff. Fiber is often stronger than you may think, but its still pretty fragile, especially when pulling it pre-terminated when you can't just cut off a mangled end. I generally go with 1" even now.

That being said, fiber is thin. As was noted, the connectors will be the hard part to fit through.

/ Starlink #1,326  
Probably 3/4", I'd have to go check though. I wouldn't run anything through smaller than 3/4" these days. Better to pay a few bucks for bigger conduit than fight friction cramming stuff into to small of conduit & breaking wires or other stuff. Fiber is often stronger than you may think, but its still pretty fragile, especially when pulling it pre-terminated when you can't just cut off a mangled end. I generally go with 1" even now.

That being said, fiber is thin. As was noted, the connectors will be the hard part to fit through.
i think you quoted the wrong person, that said, generally you use pulling eye's. we pull on the shield, not the connecter, if the pipe is tight, you blow through 2 lines, one for the connectors and one attached to the sheath to do the actual pull, should never pull on the connectors.

/ Starlink #1,327  
i think you quoted the wrong person, that said, generally you use pulling eye's. we pull on the shield, not the connecter, if the pipe is tight, you blow through 2 lines, one for the connectors and one attached to the sheath to do the actual pull, should never pull on the connectors.
Ya, was just quoting the latest reply. I have several of those Chinese finger cuff gizmos to attach the pull string to cable. Finicky to get one big enough to go over the connector but small enough to grip down on the cable. I generally tape things up tight over any pulling attachment which adds even more bulk.
Woodhead 35970 Pulling Grip, Junior Duty, Flexible Eye, 1700lb Approximate Break Strength, 5.00" Mesh Length, .25–.36" Cable Diameter: Electrical Pulling Grips: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement or the like, although mine are some generic cheaper ones.

/ Starlink #1,328  
   / Starlink #1,329  
   / Starlink #1,330  
Any thoughts or comments most welcome.
Have you considered yet how to house/protect the equipment near the dish site?

I'm going to install a small tower in my pasture for dishy. (maybe some other antennas as well ...) Then I am going to need some sort of weather proof enclosure for starlink equipment, power, and signal wiring near the base. I have not yet figured out how best to do this.

I presume I also need to allocate space to store unused fiber cable. Since most of us would buy pre-terminated cables, it is prudent to get them extra long. But they apparently don't bend as well as CAT5, so a small place to wind/store the "extra" footage seems prudent?