Truck bed extender legality

/ Truck bed extender legality
#When 'usefulness' of a reply is directly proportional to the description of the situation or need mentioned in a title or first post.

Tough crowd some days. May help to include how it makes you feel when asking for or accepting suggestions.

btw, you guys are fine by me. It's people that rub me the wrong way.

Any more description was not necessary. And I wasnt asking for suggestions. I was asking if there was a specific law(s) pertaining to when a red flag is legally required and when it isnt. A reply of "just put a flag on it and dont worry about it" is in no way helpful. IF I wanted to just red flag it and be done, I wouldnt have bothered asking the question

Last edited:
What's holding it up at the orange to black angle ... welded?
Yes. The black piece is 2x2x1/4 tube and the orange angled piece is 2x2x3/16 and the TEE is 1.5x1.5x3/16. Just scraps I had laying around and took about an hour to whip together

/ Truck bed extender legality #24  
Really turned out nice! (y) Looks more that ready for prescribed duty. Color has to be a plus for visibility. 5/5 :)

Really turned out nice! (y) Looks more that ready for prescribed duty. Color has to be a plus for visibility. 5/5 :)
I decided on orange...not really for visibility going down the road, but it just might keep my dumb @$$ from not paying attenting and walking into the damn thing

/ Truck bed extender legality #26  
Stability aginst bouncing or left/right swing .... maybe. Weight? I don't see much support. Boards or pipe laid on the deck could be tied down and maybe some bags of concrete all the way forward against the cab as counterbalance might help. Straps at angles from the ends of the orange Tee to the bed corners might help with swing too. Maybe add some eyes there?

Stability aginst bouncing or left/right swing .... maybe. Weight? I don't see much support. Boards or pipe laid on the deck could be tied down and maybe some bags of concrete all the way forward against the cab as counterbalance might help. Straps at angles from the ends of the orange Tee to the bed corners might help with swing too. Maybe add some eyes there?
The ends of the tube the form the TEE are open, A ratchet strap from one side to the other is all the stability it needs if I haul lumber on it.

But aside from hauling tall weeds and cornstalks....bout the only other thing I see me using this for is hauling 20' sticks of drainage pipe or culverts on occasion.

/ Truck bed extender legality #28  
I use my support tube when I haul my long extension ladder or long items from the lumber yard.

/ Truck bed extender legality #29  
Nice job, and good thread. I need to do something for hauling my snowsled this winter, which extends 3 feet beyond the tailgate. The last time that I had it on some clown tried to see how close he could get to it at the gas pumps, and was only 12" away from the back.
I'm thinking about having lights on the end tied into my trailer plug. If I get really fancy I may even install a backup camera.