Unsecured hay hauling

/ Unsecured hay hauling #111  
Here is your Arkansas answer for securing hay. Go to www.ahtd.state.ar.us Click on publications and scroll down to Motor Vehicle and Traffic laws & state highway commission regulations ( ACT 300) The Act 300 book is considered the "Bible" for enforcing the traffic laws in Arkansas. In the book go to page 324 and look at statute 27-35-110 and also page 322 statute 27-35-102 (b). It says nothing about hauling hay, but does state that everything must be loaded to keep any of the load from spilling on the roadway.
Interesting reading. The section regarding Special permits - shows fees could add up to a lot if needed. However, I must have missed it. I did not see a reference to loading method or securing farm loads. Only the requirement for 12' wide on non controlled highways - and also 10'. I was surprised about that. I did see a separate artcile stating that Ark. is participating a 42 state "secure you load" effort. But I got that impression that it did not pertain to husbandry loads and transport.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #112  
I avoid the term accident, because most incidents do not accidentally happen. They could have been prevented.
They are still accidents even if they were caused by incompetence or laziness.

I think a huge part of the reason people don't pay attention to securing loads is because it isn't talked about or taught much at all (i.e. in driver's training or school). If you don't have a parent who passes along the knowledge they're left to learn the hard way. And it isn't intuitive at all how easily wind, vibration of transportation and intertia can affect a load (to most folks).

Look for this to only get worse as people get more used to things that automate skilled tasks (self-driving cars, automatic parking, etc.). It's sad.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #113  
How many people have been killed so far on that dangerous stretch of road by hay?
What kind of criteria is that? Wait until people are killed before doing what common sense, common courtesy, and the laws of physics would have prudent person doing anyway.? The first fatality might be a car with soccer mom with a car full of kids.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #114  
They are still accidents even if they were caused by incompetence or laziness.

I think a huge part of the reason people don't pay attention to securing loads is because it isn't talked about or taught much at all (i.e. in driver's training or school). If you don't have a parent who passes along the knowledge they're left to learn the hard way. And it isn't intuitive at all how easily wind, vibration of transportation and intertia can affect a load (to most folks).

Look for this to only get worse as people get more used to things that automate skilled tasks (self-driving cars, automatic parking, etc.). It's sad.
Good post. I read the last line and in my mind flashed - maybe there will be self loading hay trailers. Ha

/ Unsecured hay hauling #115  
This isn't about hating farmers - that's a red herring. It's about having some consideration for other people, the same consideration you'd hope others would have for you or your family. There's no excuse for not properly securing a load on a highway whether it's hay, lumber, demo debris or anything else. My cousin (early 40's with two teenage kids) lost here life because somebody was too busy or too important to secure the load on his truck, and she was killed swerving to avoid what fell off.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #116  
This isn't about hating farmers - that's a red herring. It's about having some consideration for other people, the same consideration you'd hope others would have for you or your family. There's no excuse for not properly securing a load on a highway whether it's hay, lumber, demo debris or anything else. My cousin (early 40's with two teenage kids) lost here life because somebody was too busy or too important to secure the load on his truck, and she was killed swerving to avoid what fell off.
Excellent post.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #117  
Good post. I read the last line and in my mind flashed - maybe there will be self loading hay trailers. Ha
There actually are self UN-loading round bale hay trailers

1632189619341.png

Last edited:
   / Unsecured hay hauling #118  
The thread is about farmers, for sure. Hating? Depends on the member. We generally support farmers, but theres some lost souls who see a farmer do something wrong, or theyre jealous of them and throw all of them into the same bucket (stereotyping). Its the same few who do this over & over.
People who run trucks and farm understand their job has responsibility, but so must anyone who turns on a key and enters a road with really any vehicle.
Same thing is done to cops, lawyers, teachers, etc.
Its wrong and needs to stop.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #119  
It depends on how its loaded and size of bales! If the trailer is specifically designed for bales or just a flatbed! I know on the self unloading round bale trailers your worry about the bales coming off on a curve or just slipped off wont happen! If they get in serious situations then sure like a roll over then unless they had a strap on each bale they still would fall off! On the semi trailers with 50k lbs of bales they usually only have a couple ropes going over top from front to back and traveling millions of miles delivered without much incident! If I was you and wanted to worry about anything other drivers do it would be all the ones driving on legally bald tires much more likely to be rear ended by someone than a bale killing you! Good luck in your daily commute!

/ Unsecured hay hauling #120  
There actually are self UN-loading round bale hay trailers

View attachment 714088
Maybe go try to make a bale fall off your trailer doing donuts or something and video it! Haha I know it would take a lot of truck to make it happen haha!