A kid gets terminated at work...

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #82  
They seem big on safety too. I had a job at the pickle factory. Got fired because I had my fingers in the pickle slicer. But, at least she got fired too.
I read that case; some facts were changed to protect the innocent. :rolleyes:

/ A kid gets terminated at work...
Long after i got my job he told me there were 2 other candidates who were more qualified but he hired me because of the way i treated the waitress. I reminded him i'd had every chit job on the planet and could relate to service people. i'd also worked for tips.

I had no clue but later I learned to pay very close attention to how some people treat service people, revealing.
Have the laugh, the two best jobs I ever had was being a waiter and being a raft guide.

Things I learned...

Waitering- At least up North, I called every woman "Miss", NEVER "mam" as it implies age, and every male "Sir" as it implies respect. Treat all your customers with respect.

Waitering - ALWAYS keep the non alcoholic drinks topped off no matter how busy you are. The last thing a customer wants IMO is feeling thirsty or having a hot (and or spicy) meal and not have something to drink.

Raft guiding - At the end of the run after all the rapids are run floating back to the take out, give everyone the opportunity to try and guide the raft and sincerely try to help those who want to learn. It helps make up if you had to raise your voice to anyone during the day LOL and found on average always got a better tip when I let people try to guide the raft themselves.

Both jobs also taught me to enjoy what you do. When you hate your work, it's too much like a job and you're only working for money.

Thing is, when your with customers or potential customers on behalf of the company you get paid to represent, be respectful of everyone.

One time, on a Saturday I went to see someone to solve a problem. Problem was, I was dressed to "coomfortable" and the business I visited thought I was their customer LOL (I wasn't going to look "professional" on a Saturday LOL). Point being, no matter what a customer looks like, treat everyone the same, with respect.

Old addage "to get respect you have to give respect" has never been truer.

My only "look down rule" is when I take a client out to eat, no buffet because I'm buying LMAO.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #84  
Too funny. I always thought they didn't want me discussing my pay with my coworkers because

A: it was an agreement between the company and me. Nobody else's business. If I didn't like what I was getting paid, I could quit.

B: I was getting paid more than people that didn't do as much work as I did but complained about the work load an awful lot. 🤣
That's exactly how they want you to think. You might be underpaid for what you do.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #85  
I kind of feel sorry for you.

I don't think I could ever work 8-5.
You'll work the hours to put food on your table and support your family.

Right now I'm teleworking and have a 4 day work week so I'm not complaining. I also know what everyone else is making. And yes, some people are making more money than they are worth but not my problem.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #86  
I read that case; some facts were changed to protect the innocent. :rolleyes:
I stopped at a taco place. Mainly to pee, but if I go in somewhere I buy something because I used their facilities. But anyway, the bathroom was locked. I sat where I could see somebody leave out of it. The woman manager came out of The male bathroom. Smelled because she just smoked a joint in there. Pretty slick.

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #87  
One old timer I worked with in the 90's had all these old country sayings. One was "don't take everybody to be your friend." Rewind to maybe '79 and working as a pizza delivery while in HS. When slow I would help in the kitchen. I hadn't learned that not everyone is your friend. Boss lady comes up to me one day and said this is your last day. We are getting slow and I heard you intend to go back to work for your dad in the summer. I knew right then someone had told the slightly older kid (butt-kisser) who was like a basic shift manager but really the boss lady called the shots since I think she owned the franchise. Dad had a concrete foundation business which paid better and was more rewarding.

You'll work the hours to put food on your table and support your family.

Right now I'm teleworking and have a 4 day work week so I'm not complaining. I also know what everyone else is making. And yes, some people are making more money than they are worth but not my probDon't get married when you're young.
Find work you love to do and you'll never have just a job.

Find work you love to do before you marry someone for love, and then have kids.

We all have to make money to support ourselves somehow, that's a given.

I honestly have no clue what anyone else is making I work with because I don't care because I'm happy with what I'm making.

I knew right then someone had told the slightly older kid (butt-kisser) who was like a basic shift manager but really the boss lady called the shots since I think she owned the franchise.
The only person giving out information at work was yourself, and you only have yourself to blame. That said, doesn't sound like you lost any sleep over it ;)

/ A kid gets terminated at work... #90  
I was glad I learned that lesson early in life. Not everyone is your friend.