Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #1  

Coboco

Bronze Member
Tractor
L2501 HST 4x4
Hello, I've owned a new L2501 with BH77 for about a year w/ 200 hours on it so far. Great machine, gets the job done. Here on my 30 acre farm there's lots of projects I've been working on like roads, swales, ponds, leveling areas out. Its hilly rocky KY land. The tractor feels very stable on the hills. I do take the machine out to do grading/landscaping work on other properties as well. Payoff would be roughly $28,000.

The local dealer has a used L45 w/750 hrs that he's been nice enough to let me put an hour or so on that machine around the back of the place to test out and I am impressed with the features like swivel seat and crawl function for the good amount of backhoe work I do. I can tell its been worked pretty hard though, the main boom is new because he took it in on trade bent, and there is noticable slop in the pins/bushings compared to my tight BH77. The power and reach are nice though. Cash price $31,500. Financing is available at a bit higher rate than new of course. There's no leaks and runs/sounds good. It has the 3 pt arms, and 3rd function setup.

I went for the 2501 because lack of complex electronics and emissions control, figured it would hopefully be simple and trouble free for many years. But now I'm wondering if I'm working it too hard...and the on/off climbing to the backhoe does get tiresome and take time, I'm not 20 anymore and feel it in my back, hips, knees and shoulders :) I feel like I could get work done at least 50% more efficiently in something like a L45/47 TLB.

I priced a new L47 and it's over 60k, which when financed isn't totally out of reach if I throw about 20k cash down at it...but it comes with a bit taller hood which takes some visibility away, double the price, and emissions controls over the used L45. The feeling of "new and tight" sure is hard to beat though, plus warranty.

Not taking the loader off is a bit of a downside when it comes to mowing, but the additional strength in a compact size is worthy of that shortfall. I've considered an MX5400 w/ BH92 but that tractor might be a bit large for some of the tasks I do on and off the property.

Do you guys think rolling the dice on a used machine is worth it in the long haul even though I'll most likely be replacing bushings and possibly some other things sooner than later on the L45? I'm looking for a long-term well rounded machine that wont require too much wrenching. There's a 60 day 50/50 parts and labor warranty offered on used equipment. Any and all opinions welcome...I've noticed there are not a lot of L45's out there for sale and they are more around the 40k mark with similar or more hours and of course far away so I can't go test and inspect them easily.

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #2  
if you are somewhat unhappy with your tractor and the bigger one meets more of your needs.... yes get the bigger one.

700 hours isnt a lot. Maybe you can purchase a extended warranty with it if you are concerned. Dealer might throw a warranty in with the deal.

The bent boom is from someone doing something they shouldnt be doing with the equipment. not a machine issue.

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #3  
That is a good price.
There are no L45’s on tractorhouse.
There is one in Johnson City Tn with less 200 hrs for $45,000.

All the L45s I found were over $40,000.

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #4  
There’s no doubt a L48 is a lot more capable than a L2501. But that L48 doesn’t seem like something I’d want.

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #5  
I'd offer asking price with all the bushings and pins replaced with new genuine Kubota parts.

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #6  
If they neglected to grease the pins, & bent core components, what else did they neglect or abuse? Dirt, scratches & wear is one thing. Neglected maintenance is another.

You can make a sloppy hoe work. My friend has a 40+ year old John deere industrial hoe I've borrowed a few times. You can almost stick a finger between the pin & bushings on in a few places. Not great to operate with the hoe falling around in every direction all loose. But it still beats a shovel.

You seem to have your reservation on that one & want a tight new one. Listen to your gut.

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #7  
Hello, I've owned a new L2501 with BH77 for about a year w/ 200 hours on it so far. Great machine, gets the job done. Here on my 30 acre farm there's lots of projects I've been working on like roads, swales, ponds, leveling areas out. Its hilly rocky KY land. The tractor feels very stable on the hills. I do take the machine out to do grading/landscaping work on other properties as well. Payoff would be roughly $28,000.

The local dealer has a used L45 w/750 hrs that he's been nice enough to let me put an hour or so on that machine around the back of the place to test out and I am impressed with the features like swivel seat and crawl function for the good amount of backhoe work I do. I can tell its been worked pretty hard though, the main boom is new because he took it in on trade bent, and there is noticable slop in the pins/bushings compared to my tight BH77. The power and reach are nice though. Cash price $31,500. Financing is available at a bit higher rate than new of course. There's no leaks and runs/sounds good. It has the 3 pt arms, and 3rd function setup.

I went for the 2501 because lack of complex electronics and emissions control, figured it would hopefully be simple and trouble free for many years. But now I'm wondering if I'm working it too hard...and the on/off climbing to the backhoe does get tiresome and take time, I'm not 20 anymore and feel it in my back, hips, knees and shoulders :) I feel like I could get work done at least 50% more efficiently in something like a L45/47 TLB.

I priced a new L47 and it's over 60k, which when financed isn't totally out of reach if I throw about 20k cash down at it...but it comes with a bit taller hood which takes some visibility away, double the price, and emissions controls over the used L45. The feeling of "new and tight" sure is hard to beat though, plus warranty.

Not taking the loader off is a bit of a downside when it comes to mowing, but the additional strength in a compact size is worthy of that shortfall. I've considered an MX5400 w/ BH92 but that tractor might be a bit large for some of the tasks I do on and off the property.

Do you guys think rolling the dice on a used machine is worth it in the long haul even though I'll most likely be replacing bushings and possibly some other things sooner than later on the L45? I'm looking for a long-term well rounded machine that wont require too much wrenching. There's a 60 day 50/50 parts and labor warranty offered on used equipment. Any and all opinions welcome...I've noticed there are not a lot of L45's out there for sale and they are more around the 40k mark with similar or more hours and of course far away so I can't go test and inspect them easily.
I just priced an MX with the 9’ BH and it came in 20% less than your L price. The MX is the economy line but when I compare what I do with mine compared to what I do with my M4 there’s no features the M4 has that I miss having on the MX. Just a thought.

I can’t imagine there’s many spots you can’t take the MX you could take an L. But at 15k savings you could keep the B. I still regret letting my BX go and it’s been almost six years now.

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #8  
I used to rent an L45 and an L35 all the time, they're great machines. If the bushings are worn and the boom was bent on a machine with only 700 hours I'd think twice. Some day the world will return to normal and you'll have a much better selection of used machines.

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #9  
What about trading the backhoe attachment in on the L45 and keep the L2501 for mowing? Two tractors are always better than one!

/ Used L45 looking for opinions on the matter #10  
I'd offer asking price with all the bushings and pins replaced with new genuine Kubota parts.

You know...that's exactly what I was thinking. I was wondering if it had a thumb, and also wondering about replacing the pins and bushings. I don't know how many of the loader and BH pins have replaceable bushings, but it's worth floating the idea past the dealer. Easy money for him, & just the type of heavy work best done by a young mechanic in a shop.

It's nice that the L45 has the the 3pt. arms, but if you are old as I am and starting to feel the weight of things, it could make sense to have a dedicated 3pt tractor as well. And since the 3pt tractor wouldn't have to have a loader and BH - or 4wd - the possibilities are fascinating as they are endless. Our 3pt tractor is an old JD 2 cylinder. Probably not worth anything on the market, but runs fine.

If you can do 30 acres plus some extra work with the L2501, you are going to enjoy a little more tractor - whether this one on a new one.