Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #541  
interesting ditty on the news last nite about how some young gal has made a business of collecting what i'm calling distressed glass.

i think it's basically old broken bottles that for 30 years have been tumbled in the surf of lake superior.

she makes jewelry out of it which makes her $.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #542  
interesting ditty on the news last nite about how some young gal has made a business of collecting what i'm calling distressed glass.

i think it's basically old broken bottles that for 30 years have been tumbled in the surf of lake superior.

she makes jewelry out of it which makes her $.
They call it beach glass, and it's becoming harder and harder to find as the switch to plastic eliminated a lot of glass. My wife and I still find it on about 1 out of 5 walks on the beach, but you used to be able to find it every few feet 30-40 years ago. Best places for us have been along the metal surf breakers in the gravel piles.

We now return you back to our great lakes boat programming. ;)

/ Great lake boats, a good video
At 4 minutes and 25 seconds into this most interesting history video, you'll see the boat Falcon of Cleveland cliffs iron. This company is still in the steel business and my father-in-law retired from them. They've been around for well over 150 years.

Here is a nice video of the Gott pulling into Two Harbors MN to load pellets. What seems strange is his draft is near 26ft as he motor's in. The Gott is one of my my favorite boats. Below is the verbiage copied from the video.
--------------------------------
Here is the Edwin H. Gott making a visit to Two Harbors, Minnesota shortly after noon on September 1, 2021 for iron ore pellets (taconite) from the Canadian National dock. The Gott is most commonly seen in Two Harbors, though she will load occasionally in Duluth when the need arises. For a Wednesday afternoon in September, there were a lot of tourists on the breakwater to watch the Gott's arrival. The Gott was happy to provide a little entertainment in the form a captain's salute with her dual-horn setup. The captain's salute consists of one long blast followed by two short blasts. It's a friendly form a greeting on the lakes. The 1004-foot Edwin H. Gott was launched in 1978 and was the eighth out of thirteen 1000-footers built for the Great Lakes. She is powered by two MaK diesel engines outputting a total of 19,600 bhp, making her the most powerful vessel on the Great Lakes. She has a cargo capacity of 74,100 tons. She was originally built with a short shuttle boom for self-unloading (like her sister the Speer), but that limited the number of ports where she could unload. At the end of the 1995 shipping season she was refitted with a traditional self-unloading boom. At 280 feet, her current boom is the longest on the Great Lakes, allowing her extra reach for unloading her cargo.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #545  
How about aircraft carriers on the great lakes during ww2 (used for training but still) , Never knew this until this summer when I visited one of the many great lakes museums. I enjoy learning new things.
Image result for aircraft carriers on the great lakes

Both USS Sable and USS Wolverine hold the distinction of being the only freshwater, coal-driven, side paddle-wheel aircraft carriers used by the United States Navy. USS Sable earned both the American Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal during her Naval career

/ Great lake boats, a good video #546  
Here is a nice video of the Gott pulling into Two Harbors MN to load pellets. What seems strange is his draft is near 26ft as he motor's in. The Gott is one of my my favorite boats. Below is the verbiage copied from the video.

That's some delicate ship handling there.

Here is a wonderful night time video made of the American Integrity leaving port, all taken in the Duluth Harbor. Do note, these boats are operating in the rivers current. Our buddy worked on its sister ship, the American Century. Many boats were renamed after 911 to these patriotic names. Trick question, How does the engine crew stay cool on hot summer nights? Info from the video.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the American Integrity seen departing Duluth-Superior before midnight on August 23, 2021. She had loaded coal at the Superior Midwest Energy Terminal, which was destined for delivery to the power plant at St. Clair, Michigan. Her arrival in the Twin Ports was documented in an earlier upload on this channel. The video starts with the American Integrity pulling away from the SMET dock in Superior, then making her way under the John A. Blatnik bridge and rounding Rice's Point. I then moved to Canal Park in Duluth to watch as she made the turn and passed under the Aerial Lift Bridge and head out onto Lake Superior. As it was getting to be late at night, the Integrity didn't offer up a salute with her horn to avoid disturbing nearby homes. But she did offer a "salute" using her deck lights, flashing them in the usual one-long, two-short sequence. Unfortunately, I was moving my camera at the time and missed the light salute. (Maybe next time!) The 1000-foot American Integrity was launched in 1978 as the Lewis Wilson Foy. She was renamed the Oglebay Norton in 1991 when she was sold to the company of the same, then finally renamed the American Integrity in 2006 when she was sold to the American Steamship Company. According to the Boatnerd website, she is "powered by 4 GM Electro-Motive Division 20-645-E7 V-20 cylinder two stroke cycle, single acting 3,600 b.h.p diesel engines burning marine diesel oil. The power is fed through Falk single reduction gears to 2 controllable-pitch propellers giving the vessel a service speed of 18.4 m.p.h. She is equipped with both bow and stern thrusters. The vessel's 37 hatches feed into 7 holds where she is capable of carrying 78,850 tons at her mid summer draft of 34' 00". Her self unloading system feeds a stern mounted 250' discharge boom that can be swung 92 degrees to port or starboard and unload at a rate of up to 8,930 tons (10,000 net tons) per hour."

/ Great lake boats, a good video #548  
How about aircraft carriers on the great lakes during ww2 (used for training but still) , Never knew this until this summer when I visited one of the many great lakes museums. I enjoy learning new things.
View attachment 715182
View attachment 715183
View attachment 715185
View attachment 715184

Both USS Sable and USS Wolverine hold the distinction of being the only freshwater, coal-driven, side paddle-wheel aircraft carriers used by the United States Navy. USS Sable earned both the American Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal during her Naval career
as a kid one of the school trips was to go to chicago to see the german sub on display.

all i remember was it was so small.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #549  
Here is a wonderful night time video made of the American Integrity leaving port, all taken in the Duluth Harbor. Do note, these boats are operating in the rivers current. Our buddy worked on its sister ship, the American Century. Many boats were renamed after 911 to these patriotic names. Trick question, How does the engine crew stay cool on hot summer nights? Info from the video.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's sometimes hard for people to appreciate how large these things are, and how large the Great Lakes that they sail on truly are.

Look at the many stories of stairs on the back of that ship.

Then realize this is going out on a lake. Not an ocean. A lake.

If you've never seen the Great Lakes in person, get out there and take a trip. (y)