4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #91  
If you wanna play the "what if" game....there are lots of mechanical things that could break and leave you without brakes. Still doesn't change the fact that 4wd adds front axle braking

I’m not sure why that’s such a big debate. How the tractor brakes work really isn’t the point here. Some tractors do have 4 wheel brakes like a vehicle but in the United States that’s a virtually nonexistent option.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #92  
I’m not sure why that’s such a big debate. How the tractor brakes work really isn’t the point here. Some tractors do have 4 wheel brakes like a vehicle but in the United States that’s a virtually nonexistent option.
I don't understand why it's a debate either. The whole point of the discussion is in the name of safely being able to control the tractor on slippery surfaces or going down a hill.

The easy answer is 4wd. So why "some" people that think they are smarter than everyone else wants to argue about something that could potentially save the life of a rookie tractor operator reeding this? It ain't about how you "think" the mechanics of the machine work. It's about what happens in real life situations. Don't try and take away from the importance of 4wd on hills because someone feels like arguing on the internet today.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #93  
I don't understand why it's a debate either. The whole point of the discussion is in the name of safely being able to control the tractor on slippery surfaces or going down a hill.

The easy answer is 4wd. So why "some" people that think they are smarter than everyone else wants to argue about something that could potentially save the life of a rookie tractor operator reeding this? It ain't about how you "think" the mechanics of the machine work. It's about what happens in real life situations. Don't try and take away from the importance of 4wd on hills because someone feels like arguing on the internet today.
Because correcting grammar is so passe...

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #94  
The TC40DA stays in 4WD. It is used for loader work and dragging the arena. The WM75 is used for mowing, usually in 2WD. Stepping on the brakes puts it in 4WD. Neither runs on a paved surface.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #95  
Perhaps some of us have not been tractoring as much as we would like too. . . . lately

Just like tractors, our membership has vast levels of capabilities.

It is great to be able to draw on this resource.

We need to be more aware of what message we're sending. Perhaps debate as to an elected function & consequences should be another thread.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #96  
I have owned my tractor for 20 years.
I'd estimate my tractor has been in 4 wd 70 percent of the time over the past 2 decades.
If my loader is on or working on hills my machine stays in 4wd

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #97  
I have a bobcat 2025 (kioti) with 55 hours so far; got it this spring. I really only need to engage the front axle when moving dirt or slogging through muddy trails. All my mowing and manure spreading are easily done in 2wd. Any reason to use the front axle every once and a while? I don't really notice a difference either way; power or steering etc.
Unless the tractor has a central differential it is better to keep out of 4 wheel drive unless needed as it will wind the transmission up. Our Fords automatically go to 4 wheel drive when applying locked together brakes which is good for road use but a pain in bottom when doing tight manoeuvring.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #98  
Our Fords automatically go to 4 wheel drive when applying locked together brakes which is good for road use but a pain in bottom when doing tight manoeuvring.
Wait, wait, let me get this straight. You're in 2WD maneuvering in tight quarters, using the rear brakes, pedal unlocked, one wheel at a time to help the turns -- and it engages 4WD?

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #99  
Wait, wait, let me get this straight. You're in 2WD maneuvering in tight quarters, using the rear brakes, pedal unlocked, one wheel at a time to help the turns -- and it engages 4WD?
My 2019 NH WM75 goes into 4WD when you step on the brakes.

/ 4 wheel drive all the time? or just when needed #100  
My TC 26DA stayed in 4wd almost all the time. Our land in the Catskills isn't steep, at least not where I take the tractors, but it is uneven, and uneven ground is ridiculous with an ultra-light tractor in 2 wd. My Workmaster 40 weighs about twice as much, and is in 2 wd much more, and the bigger rear tires make a huge difference on uneven ground. I did once get caught in 2xd braking down a hill with loose gravel I was working, and it was a little hairy, lol.