Saving Money as Prices Increase

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #41  
I take my used motor oil to a local small engine repair shop, and the owner would often make some comment like, "Great! I feel warmer already!"

I finally asked him if he really heats the place with used motor oil, and he took me back and showed me his furnace. He said it makes him less cranky when people stand with the door open in the middle of the winter.
That's how I get rid of my oil, several shops will accept clean oil for free. I'm still not sure how to get rid of the 6 gallons of used SUDT I'll be generating this weekend; due to the additives they aren't supposed to accept it.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #42  
That's how I get rid of my oil, several shops will accept clean oil for free. I'm still not sure how to get rid of the 6 gallons of used SUDT I'll be generating this weekend; due to the additives they aren't supposed to accept it.

Interesting. I've never heard of it being a problem. I use the SUDT containers to bring in the oil, so I'm not sneaking anything past them.

I'm not sure of the current practices, but the shops used to be able to get some money for used oil. I've never seen a place try to charge me to bring it in.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #43  
Now that is some gold right there! Some really good stuff! Thanks! I love the coffee idea! And the 12v fans, brilliant! That is my biggest complaint about the wood stove. 80 deg in the living room, 65 in the back office.
I used to turn on my forced air furnace fan when using the wood stove. It circulates air throughout the house to equalize temperature.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #44  
I sometimes will use a small fan to move the air around. I also have a little unit on the woodstove which somehow uses disimilar metals to generate enough electricity to turn the fan.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #45  
I take my used motor oil to a local small engine repair shop, and the owner would often make some comment like, "Great! I feel warmer already!"

I finally asked him if he really heats the place with used motor oil, and he took me back and showed me his furnace. He said it makes him less cranky when people stand with the door open in the middle of the winter.
Just watched this and am pretty convinced I need to build one.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #46  
Lots of good comments. I’ve been trying to build skills since covid started. Welding, wrenching, haying are the big ones. I already had some history but really focused on those. I’d like to pick up a CDL license. Not really looking for another job but would like the flexibility if needed, mostly looking for bartering material (skills) with the local folks as there are a lot of resources around and I’m sure with inflation they’d gladly do some trading for free help…right now they pretty much get my help for free but it’s worth it for the lessons, at least on my side of the deal:LOL:

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #47  
I have a BIL who is a truck driver, and he said he could make about $250k/year, if he was willing to do long distance transport. It's a tough life, with about one weekend per month at home, but it is a way to make good money for a while.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #48  
There's not many opertunities open to cut back since I'm no longer working and already living on a tight budget. at 77 it get's harder every year to handle yard work,vehicle repair and keep the house up. I'll soon be in trouble when I start hiring everything done.
At 81 I am already in that problem area.
Getting old really sucks.......for a LOT of reasons!
The only saving grace.....it beats the alternative!

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #49  
Lots of good comments. I’ve been trying to build skills since covid started. Welding, wrenching, haying are the big ones. I already had some history but really focused on those. I’d like to pick up a CDL license. Not really looking for another job but would like the flexibility if needed, mostly looking for bartering material (skills) with the local folks as there are a lot of resources around and I’m sure with inflation they’d gladly do some trading for free help…right now they pretty much get my help for free but it’s worth it for the lessons, at least on my side of the deal:LOL:
Picking up a CDL license is actually pretty easy, getting a job, not quite as easy. Most reputable companies that hire drivers require 2 years, 1 year at the minimum in experience. Getting to that point is a challenge because you have to sign on with one of the companies that require many months of training at cut rate pay, after going thru their school at exorbitant costs, which you have to work off over a period of usually a year. On top of all that, if you have a CDl, you have to link your medical card to it, which pretty much gives the guberment access (more than I even knew) to your medical history. I have always maintained that once I quit driving for a living, I would turn in my CDL if they don't take it because I can't pass their medical requirements which are getting crazier day by day!
David from jax

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #50  
Picking up a CDL license is actually pretty easy, getting a job, not quite as easy. Most reputable companies that hire drivers require 2 years, 1 year at the minimum in experience. Getting to that point is a challenge because you have to sign on with one of the companies that require many months of training at cut rate pay, after going thru their school at exorbitant costs, which you have to work off over a period of usually a year. On top of all that, if you have a CDl, you have to link your medical card to it, which pretty much gives the guberment access (more than I even knew) to your medical history. I have always maintained that once I quit driving for a living, I would turn in my CDL if they don't take it because I can't pass their medical requirements which are getting crazier day by day!
David from jax
No medical card needed if you drive intrastate. I hold a valid ( but unused) CDL and haven't had a medical card in about 10 years.
A medical card certifies that you met the physical requirements to hold an interstate CDL on a certain date. No more, no less.