Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,251  
Our first generator was bought in 1994.
We run it once per year to change oil, or when needed.
Our larger generator was bought in 2018.
Same schedule.
Anything else seems to me to be a waste of time and fuel.
would you run a car engine once a year?

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,252  
Years before I had my arsenal of Generator’s & battery backup system’s my wife told me if she couldn’t curl her hair in the morning she wasn’t going to work.
I told her Ohh you will go to work; thus the backups for the backups.
Never had a significant outage to justify the cost or effort I’ve put into my system but it’s ready if & when the big one hits & that’s comforting to us.
It’s ready for a continuous run of 150 + hours non stop but not yet finished.
Im having trouble getting the Xantrex AGS module to execute the commands.
Still plugging away at it.
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,253  
I just repaired a 125 kw generator that wasnt charging. I didn't want to fool with it because too much of a liability. But, I fixed it.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,254  
would you run a car engine once a year?
Yes, if that was its requirement.
We have many, many engines on our equipment, machines and vehicles.
They are all maintained well, start and run when required.
This includes generators.
"Maintenance runs" more than annually to change oil are a waste of time and fuel in my opinion.
BUT, you can run them every hour, on the hour just to be safe if you please.
It's a free country. (so far)

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,255  
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,256  
Don’t agree at all. You have to keep moisture in oil under control for one thing. You need to keep lube thru machine. Running it once a year is foolish in my opinion…for what thats worth. But I only maintain engines for a living now, and I’ve seen units that haven't run in a year, and there usually a mess.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,257  
Years before I had my arsenal of Generator’s & battery backup system’s my wife told me if she couldn’t curl her hair in the morning she wasn’t going to work.
I told her Ohh you will go to work; thus the backups for the backups.
Never had a significant outage to justify the cost or effort I’ve put into my system but it’s ready if & when the big one hits & that’s comforting to us.
It’s ready for a continuous run of 150 + hours non stop but not yet finished.
Im having trouble getting the Xantrex AGS module to execute the commands.
Still plugging away at it.
90cummins
Post up 90, once you have that AGS doing what you want.... you've tied together some interesting solutions so far, and I for one would like to see more news on that subject (y) .

I swear that Murphy does Target-Recon.... guys like you (and others on here) fall into the Hard Target category...... "Let's move on, for today..... much, Much easier pickings are out there....."

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run
#5,258  
I just repaired a 125 kw generator that wasnt charging. I didn't want to fool with it because too much of a liability. But, I fixed it.
Big Commercial/Industrial application, or backup for a Factory Farm ?

I was having a conversation recently with a mechanic friend, about having to be more of a Lawyer than a Mechanic some days....

Rgds, D

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #5,259  
Big Commercial/Industrial application, or backup for a Factory Farm ?

I was having a conversation recently with a mechanic friend, about having to be more of a Lawyer than a Mechanic some days....

Rgds, D
It was on a Tyson farm. I tore some houses down that collapsed from the snow. Those people had six houses and two collapsed. Built back new ones. This summer it started melting the service back to the transfotmer. The goof balls didn't have any fuel in the generator and two houses of chickens died in a few minutes. No excuse for that.