3-Point Hitch help with a blade

/ help with a blade
I'll give it a try. Thanks Winston. I'm not sure how much it will do. I pounded on both the horizontal and vertical today with an 8 pounder. Moved maybe a quarter of an inch at best. I'll keep plugging away using the tips I get here. Much thanks for the advice so far. Keep em coming. I'll try them all

/ help with a blade #12  
Here are a few pics of my blade. She was thirsty this morning so I finished off a can of PB. More banging and still not much progress. Can't get it to spin perpendicular so I can start trying to pull it off the shaft. My little yanmar and my kubota just don't have the ...you know to swing it around. I think a torch set up needs to be in the mix. It's just not in the budget right now

If PB can't do it, then DEEP CREEP indeed will do it. Had rusted on rear drums on a 2500. PB 2 days of soaking, nothing. 20mins with Deep Creep, those drums came right off.

1637088918931.png

1637089086737.png

/ help with a blade #14  

/ help with a blade
Gonna pick up a few cans tonight. Found a bud with a torch. Hopefully in a few weeks when our schedules mix we can get down to business on this old thing

/ help with a blade #16  
Gonna pick up a few cans tonight. Found a bud with a torch. Hopefully in a few weeks when our schedules mix we can get down to business on this old thing
Meanwhile, Harborfreight sells a half million BTU propane torch that I have found to be quite useful. Pretty good for weeds as well.

I would second @California's comment about hooking it up as is and using a roadbed to work things loose.

Looking at your photos, I believe that your design does disassemble. For the left/right, I think that there is a bolt on the bottom cap that needs to come out. Some versions that I have seen unscrew at that point and some come off. For the top (yaw), I think you need to rotate the plate beyond the flange.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / help with a blade #17  
You are gonna have a hard time getting enough heat on that thing to do anything other than wast oxygen and acetylene.

But if you have never used a tilt blade....they really are about useless unless you plan on carving out a ditch or something. Because Look at how big the pin is....and how far rotated around you would have to be to get to the next hole. Visulize that blade as it sits with one side of the blade ~2' higher than the other. Again....tilt isnt much good unless trenching a ditch.

But the sidelink adjustment on the tractor is what you want if you are trying to establish a slight grade, swale, or crown a driveway

/ help with a blade #18  
Get some automatic transmission fluid and pour it over the area that is supposed to move. If you have some acetone you can mix it 50:50 to help it creep more. And the latter can be put in a spray bottle to apply as a penetrating oil. ATF is pretty good crud knocker loose and lubricating oil . If it's sitting in your shop or somewhere you don't want the oil dripping onto put a few flattned card board boxes under it to absorb the oil that drips off.

/ help with a blade
I completely agree with LD1 regarding roll of the blade being less practical than yaw. It would be nice to have it functional and operating as it should though. The roll has loosened a bit and I actually had to knock it back in place by about a half inch. The yaw is what I am primarily concerned with so I can rotate around to push or pull snow, gravel and all the other things people push and pull. On this blade there is a cap at the bottom of the shaft. The blade mount slides over the shaft and the cap retains the blade mount. I can't tell if it is threaded. It had a 3/4 pin through it. If the cap does screw on I will just cut it off and repair it later. I am going to mix up a batch of ATF and acetone and alternate it with Deep Creep for a week or 2 and see if lighting an acetylene fire under its ..you know, will get it moving. I was trying to visualize a press of some sort but cant come up with much right now. I have a 20 ton air over hydro jack. I'm not a welder but I did save a lot of money by switching to Geico, and I know a guy. In the mean time I am going to re grade every darn gravel drive I have. I found this reply on a post on Bob is the Oil Guy and thought it was interesting. For the old salts here you all probably already knew this. Hey maybe it will help someone who didn't know though.

"This is where the acetone/ATF mix idea comes from (disclaimer I don't own a copy of this publicaiton but have tried the mix and it works for me): Machinist’s Workshop Mag™ recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a “scientifically rusted” environment. *Penetrating oil .......... Average load* None ........................... 516 pounds WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds ATF*-Acetone mix...............53 pounds The ATF-Acetone mix was a “home brew” mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the “home brew” was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that “Liquid Wrench” is almost as good as “Kroil” for about 20% of the price. Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is the best and you can also use ATF- lacquer thinner 50 - 50 mix"

Last edited:
   / help with a blade #20  
Ok, I have to admit the article snippet had my sniffer sniffing. There seem to be too many digits of precision in the torque test numbers for anyone but an extremely expensive shop, and how did they consistently rust the bolts, even with a salt fog cabinet, and we all have one of those out back, right?

I am sure that the ATF/acetone mix works, but I wondered where that quoted text originally came from. So, I went poking around. The snippet would appear to be widespread, as it is quoted all over the place, but no actual source, and always the exact same chunk of text; nobody has a longer version. After an interesting walk through various search results, a search of machinistsworkshop.net, a (the?) magazine, turns up one result for ATF, and two unrelated items for rust. The earliest quotes of this seem to be 2012, so it wouldn't appear to be that old.

The snippet seems so tantalizingly detailed, as if grounded in fact. "Steve from Godwin-Singer". Godwin-Singer is a machine shop in Florida, and a Steve Trimm is a co-owner.

Perhaps someone with better "Google-Fu" can find the original source. I couldn't.

If it was a prank post, someone must be laughing pretty hard...

All the best,

Peter