3-Point Hitch help with a blade

/ help with a blade #1  

todda323

Bronze Member
Tractor
yanmar1700bd
Hello all. Its been a good while since I have posted anything here. Good to be back though. I am in need of some help. I got myself in a mess. I got this old ford blade and I am hoping someone here can give me some pointers to getting this thing apart. It is rusted up inside. I can get the blade to spin on a flat axis by bumping trees and bottle feeding it PB Blaster. I plan to pull it apart but I cant see how the get the tilt apart. Any suggestions? These pics are from another post but the fella never got much of a response. Mine is just like it though.

blade.jpg

Attachments

• blade2.jpg
    blade2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 76
   / help with a blade #2  
Heat, candle wax, PB, movement is all I know.

I believe that for many of these scraper blades of this design disassembly involves cutting the welds off. I can't see enough detail to be sure on yours.

FWIW: I have an oil injector for "frozen" zerks that is quite effective at forcing light oil into otherwise fixed surfaces.

All the best,

Peter

/ help with a blade #3  
What ponytug recommended. Just be careful as you are wrenching, twisting, pulling, etc - don't bend something. Use a good penetrating oil - give it plenty of time to do its work.

/ help with a blade #4  
Same problem with this ancient 'Carrington Terracer' that was included when I bought the little Yanmar. I took off the grease zerk and poured in penetrating oil, then hammered, hooked alternate sides on a tree, then just let it stand a week with the penetrating oil soaking in. I should have also heated it to get the oil in. Finally hooking the tree again loosened the presumed rust, and it freed up after several push/pull cycles. After lots of grease, it swings freely now.

p1540082rcarringtonterracer-jpg.699994
img-20210322-01rbackbladeinlane-jpg.699999

And - if anyone's interested here's how I modified it for quick hitch compatibility.

/ help with a blade #5  
Agree that it likely isn't made to come apart.

The outer round tube where it tilts.....hit it with a hammer all the way around. Don't have to whale on it....but decent hits all around. Knock some rust loose.

Keep feeding oil

/ help with a blade
Hey thanks for the suggestions guys. Ill give them all a whack. It looks like the both the horizontal and vertical should slide off for maintenance when freed, Im just not sure what the hook is, but I will save that for pics since one is worth a thousand words. I noticed a shop model of the Zerk Zapper. I found a Lock N Lube Grease Buster which looks very similar to the Zerk Zapper. Both have air hammer pistons available which is intriguing. Do you all have a preference one brand over the other? Depending on my success, one of these may very well be on my list of things to get. I will take some pics of my actual blade so you all can see for yourselves.

/ help with a blade #7  
No, I don't have a brand preference for something that hopefully isn't going to be used much. Harbor freight sells one, too. The zerk zapper has dual o-rings, for what it is worth. I find putting light oil in a small container and sucking the oil up to be preferable to trying to fill from the top.

If you expect to do this a lot, that air hammer option would be a good one. For me using the normal version is a variant on rubbing your tummy while patting your head, as I find myself forcing the gizmo onto the zerk while trying to hit it hard and squarely with a hammer, without crushing my hand. For those of you with better hand eye coordination, this may be a non-issue...🔨🔨 Having used the base version, I would probably shell out for the air piston version.

I look forward to the photos.

All the best,

Peter

/ help with a blade
Here are a few pics of my blade. She was thirsty this morning so I finished off a can of PB. More banging and still not much progress. Can't get it to spin perpendicular so I can start trying to pull it off the shaft. My little yanmar and my kubota just don't have the ...you know to swing it around. I think a torch set up needs to be in the mix. It's just not in the budget right now

Attachments

• 20211116_110856.jpg
    20211116_110856.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 93
  • 20211116_110905.jpg
    20211116_110905.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 94
   / help with a blade #10  
In my limited experience (photo above) tilting the blade side to side by lengthening one side of the 3-pont lift didn't do anything. Friction against the road surface offset that adjustment.

Adding ballast to one side (photo) helped some.

So for this project, I wouldn't consider the tilt a priority and would concentrate on the horizontal angle. Possibly after your blade has had some use, the tilt might loosen up.