M7040DTC

/ M7040DTC #21  
When I posted this, they wanted $34,900 for it. I noticed today that the price has gone up to $39,500. I like a lot of things about this tractor except the transmission. I also thought it was overpriced before, and now it's grossly overpriced. Hopefully this trend comes to an end, but I honestly worry that it's just going to get worse.
Wut?

Normally the price goes down after a while. :unsure:

/ M7040DTC #22  
When I posted this, they wanted $34,900 for it. I noticed today that the price has gone up to $39,500. I like a lot of things about this tractor except the transmission. I also thought it was overpriced before, and now it's grossly overpriced. Hopefully this trend comes to an end, but I honestly worry that it's just going to get worse.

I priced a tractor years ago, a used one, got a price in person at the dealership, called back and was told a new price and when I asked about the original price they said it was "a pricing error" and they had to fix it.

/ M7040DTC #23  
Eddie, one of my first tractors was an M7040. I liked it a lot. Nice little farm tractor. Very tough. I ran an 8’ JD twin spindle behind mine. Once in real tall grass it would feel it. I pulled a square baler with mine and a lighter 4x5 round baler, too.

1637198219276.jpeg

1637197656835.jpeg

1637197766514.jpeg

1637197797560.jpeg

/ M7040DTC
Great pictures. After using it with an 8 foot cutter, do you think that it could handle a 12 foot batwing?

/ M7040DTC
   / M7040DTC #26  
I just paid 40k to a private seller for a 2012 7040HDC with cab. Only 430 hrs on it and it's like new. In the current state of things I'm happy to get it but yeah, the prices are through the roof.

I priced a new Kubota last year from the dealer for 36k and wnet back just before I got the 7040, and the dealer said the price is now almost 46k! And it's physically the exact same tractor that was there last fall.

/ M7040DTC
Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm going back and forth if it's smart to buy now, or wait for the crash to happen? And when it happens, will I want to go into debt or spend money on anything until the economy turns around?

Last edited:
   / M7040DTC #28  
Great pictures. After using it with an 8 foot cutter, do you think that it could handle a 12 foot batwing?
All depends on the thickness of the grass being cut and to a lesser extent, hills.
With light to medium thickness grass, on flat or lightly sloping ground, yes it could. Like once a month field clipping.
If you’re gonna go hoggin, I mean like saplings, thick brush it would be a struggle.

/ M7040DTC #29  
Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm going back and forth if it's smart to buy now, or wait for the crash to happen? And when it happens, will I want to go into debt or spend money on anything until the economy turns around?
Eddie, honestly, I bet you could get something bigger than an M7040 for similar price. Those smaller tractors have wider appeal and audience for buying, so they get a lot for them.
See if you can find an M95, M9540, etc. Much more tractor and will probably have a powershift.
I had an M9540 “dual speed”. That was the sweetest little rig under 100HP I ever owned.
Also look at McCormicks. They have more weight, better transmission and more “farm tractor” features you’d really like.
Any of those would pull a 12‘ batwing easily

/ M7040DTC
I've seen a few McCormicks online, but they are either 50 hp or 120 hp sized tractors. I haven't looked online for a source for parts for them. I'll do that and keep my eye open. Thanks.