M7040DTC

/ M7040DTC #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
This is for sale locally and I was wondering if there is anyway to know if it's Tier 4 or not without actually having to go see it in person or call somebody on the phone? I'll probably do that next week anyway since there have a few tractors there that interest me.

Other then the missing front bucket, is there something that I should be aware of concerning this tractor? Is the 8 speed transmission able to go super slow for those tough areas where speed is the enemy? Is the AC up to dealing with the heat and humidity that we have in the South?

Thank you

/ M7040DTC #2  
the MXX40 series is non Tier IV, what they called Tier II at the time. looks good, would be nice to have service log

purchased my M8540 in '08. 2 transmissions are aval for the models,; the 8 sp std (that this one has) & the 12 sp hd hyd shuttle (that i have). personally, i'd prefer the 12 sp heavy duty (has a greater 3ph lift capacity as well) the 8sp has a single dry disk clutch: i definitely would want to check that personally before buying. the hyd shuttle (wet clutch pack) will outlast dry clutch & it's very handy to have the 4 extra gears for creeping, etc.
the 1153 loader has approx 2500# lifting capacity. my model is open station, so can't say about cab A/C

Jeff is always good at providing specs, etc good luck

Last edited:
   / M7040DTC #3  
Looks like my M7040. Mine is a 2006 model with 3 rear remotes and Kubota front remote. I love mine and have about the same hours on it. The lowest speed is not a crawler gear but is pretty slow and has 4 speed with 2 ranges. It has hydraulic shuttle gear system to reverse very easily.Have had absolutely no problems with mine. AC and heat is working really well. Looks like I can sell mine for more than I paid for it 15 years ago. Let me know if you have any other questions

/ M7040DTC
What size mower do you pull with your 7040?

/ M7040DTC #6  
This is for sale locally and I was wondering if there is anyway to know if it's Tier 4 or not without actually having to go see it in person or call somebody on the phone? I'll probably do that next week anyway since there have a few tractors there that interest me.

Other then the missing front bucket, is there something that I should be aware of concerning this tractor? Is the 8 speed transmission able to go super slow for those tough areas where speed is the enemy? Is the AC up to dealing with the heat and humidity that we have in the South?

Thank you

We have a 7060, but the not so obvious 8 vs 12 differences I am aware of are:
1. 12 has more hydraulic flow (in case you need it for implements)
2. 12 has hydraulic wet disc brakes
3. 12 has ePTO standard (you can get it optional on the 8)
4. 12 has electric-hydraulic 4WD (this might actually be a bad thing IMO)

Great machines, I am sure you will be happy with it.

/ M7040DTC #7  
The mower that I use with the M7040 is a 15 ft woods batwing

/ M7040DTC #8  
Also have the optional air suspension seat which is very comfortable

/ M7040DTC #9  
have an 8' 3ph twin mower (2000 lbs) that the 8540 handles with ease, prob could go larger but it fits my needs perfectly. much prefer the lift type over the pull type or bat wings, all a matter of application. i'd seriously wait for an hyd shuttle model over the shuttle shift in that series...

when i purchased the tractor in '08 i don't think the heavy duty 12 sp was avail in the 7040 model, tho it could have become avail in successive yrs before being discontinued in '13. however, the hyd shuttle was available as i owned a 7040 with hyd shuttle before upgrading to the 8540. (probably the best move i've made in a tractor purchase...) i suggest patience in your search
best regards

Last edited:
   / M7040DTC
Thank you. I'm not in a rush at all, but in my experience, Winter is when prices are at their lowest and inventory is at it's highest. Once Spring hits, there will be more buyers.

I have never run a batwing before, but after using a 6 foot cutter for the last 18 years, I really want to go with the biggest mower that I can get!!! I'm just nervous that a 70 hp tractor can handle a 15 foot mower. My neighbor does it with a 70 hp Zetor, so I know it's doable. I've been thinking 12 foot would be better, which is why I'm only interested in 70 hp or bigger.