Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks
We use them around here. I like them. I want to put a manure spreader bed on one, tired of using a high geared road truck in the field.
Do they get out on the roads? Mine would have to do short OTR trips. Last one I saw was loud. You knew it was coming.

The brown one in the picture in post #1 is made by BMY

Here is my IH4800 4x4. It was a good truck, but this truck with a flatbed and an automatic would be $50,000 now. It was only a 250HP DT466 with a 7 speed manual. No AC. 5.38 rears.
I would prefer a tandem 6x6 this time.

1638018955874.jpeg

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #13  
Anyone have experience with them?
So much bang for the buck, but there’s a downside, of course, to everything.
Cant help but think this thing would be perfect for large square bale transport from soft fields to local delivery yards.
Civilian 6x6 is easily $50-$75k
This truck below runs excellent and is a whopping $9,000. 855 Cummins, Automatic, central tire inflation and a 40,000lb hydraulic winch. Street legal with taillights and state inspection. We have a local garage that knows them and services them.

View attachment 722377
For the price difference, and no more miles than you expect to put on it, my guess is that it's perfect for your use.

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #14  
The brown one in the picture in post #1 is made by BMY
"BMY"
Now, there's a name I haven't heard in a long time...IIRC, it's Bowen-McLaughlin-York
I worked at the York PA plant for a couple years in the early 1990's. That shop built tracked military vehicles
Nowadays, it's called BAE Combat Systems, having gone through several owners since the early 90's

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #15  
BAE...

Isn't that, British Aerospace E (forgot what the 'E' stood for, lol).

I worked on a radar set for them once, as a contractor.

That was a long time ago.

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #16  
BAE...

Isn't that, British Aerospace E (forgot what the 'E' stood for, lol).

I worked on a radar set for them once, as a contractor.

That was a long time ago.
Yep....I don't know what the "E" stands for either. My wild a** guess is "Engines"

I thought it was “Engineering”

/ Real thoughts/experiences with military trucks #19  
Some back history...

"
In the late 1970s the M809 series 5-ton (4,536 kg) 6x6 trucks, based on a 1949 design, were becoming old and mechanically dated. It was still a useful type, with 35,000 in service. A "Product Improvement Package" was developed to rebuild and update the M809 series into the M939 series. A new cab and hood are spotting features, but there were also other improvements.

In 1982 AM General, who built all M809s, began rebuilding M809s into the M939 and M939A1 series at their South Bend, Indiana plant. They would rebuild 24,100. A follow-up model, the all-new M939A2 series, was produced by Bowen-McLaughlin-York/BMY in Marysville, Ohio. They would build 20,490. In 1991 the M939 series was replaced by the all-new design M1083-M1091 Medium Tactical Vehicles.[4][5]"

This is the model that I found for sale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M939_series_5-ton_6×6_truck