Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers? #191  
Maybe Homeschool or Nuns as teachers?

The Nuns were plenty strict…
In my day, more nuns were sadistic than not. I've got a bunch of horror stories from personal experience. Best thing that ever happened to Catholic schools was lay teachers. Enough of that.

/ Essential Workers? #192  
In my day, more nuns were sadistic than not. I've got a bunch of horror stories from personal experience. Best thing that ever happened to Catholic schools was lay teachers. Enough of that.
Now, you were not a little bit of the problem yourself, were you?

/ Essential Workers? #193  
And they wonder why parents are pulling their kids out of school.

In Washington state, 55,000 have left public schools. My wife & I saw the writing on the wall way back in 2004 and have homeschooled our 3 kids all their lives. Now all 3 are ahead by 2 years and all are currently in college with my oldest set to graduate at 21 with a masters and two undergraduate degrees.

/ Essential Workers? #194  
And they wonder why parents are pulling their kids out of school.

In Washington state, 55,000 have left public schools. My wife & I saw the writing on the wall way back in 2004 and have homeschooled our 3 kids all their lives. Now all 3 are ahead by 2 years and all are currently in college with my oldest set to graduate at 21 with a masters and two undergraduate degrees.

Wow!!!

/ Essential Workers? #195  
   / Essential Workers? #196  
   / Essential Workers?
My experience limited to 5 years public and 8 Catholic in Oakland CA

Part due to just plain safety as in kids were getting knifed and beat in public but never happened in my Catholic school and we had a mix of lay and religious.

Still in touch with grade and high school nuns and priests…

Looking back it is kind of amazing my then 70 year old Catholic Nun 5th grade teacher could have 54 students where half that is considered too much now… parents desperate for safe school environment so class size kept expanding and LSD etc… kept at bay

Options limited in grade school as same class matriculates each year and coming from public quite a change regarding discipline.

Remain thankful for Catholic High school… really just an average student with tons of homework everyday but in College graduated with highest honors, deans list, different scholar societies… which I attribute to High School training.

High school was interesting with all kinds of guest speakers including daughters of Malcom X and Dr. King and Planned Parent Hood came every year and the Presenter said only Catholic School in the West to host…

All kinds of unrest going on at the time.

Weather Underground, Hells Angels, Earth First, Black Panthers, Patty Hearst, Assassination of Marcus Foster and Dr King and the list goes on…

/ Essential Workers? #198  
Now, you were not a little bit of the problem yourself, were you?
Nope. I was the poster boy best behaved kid in the class for 8 years. Gave serious thoughts to becoming a priest. Decided around age 16 that I wanted children and a family more than that. My observations of nuns' interactions with students over 8 years ages 6-14 formed my opinions of nuns. Remember, this was back in the 60's and 70's. Most of those nuns were born in the early 1900s - 1930s. I'm guessing they were beaten as children and/or in the convents as well.

/ Essential Workers? #199  
My experience limited to 5 years public and 8 Catholic in Oakland CA

Part due to just plain safety as in kids were getting knifed and beat in public but never happened in my Catholic school and we had a mix of lay and religious.

Still in touch with grade and high school nuns and priests…

Looking back it is kind of amazing my then 70 year old Catholic Nun 5th grade teacher could have 54 students where half that is considered too much now… parents desperate for safe school environment so class size kept expanding and LSD etc… kept at bay

Options limited in grade school as same class matriculates each year and coming from public quite a change regarding discipline.

Remain thankful for Catholic High school… really just an average student with tons of homework everyday but in College graduated with highest honors, deans list, different scholar societies… which I attribute to High School training.

High school was interesting with all kinds of guest speakers including daughters of Malcom X and Dr. King and Planned Parent Hood came every year and the Presenter said only Catholic School in the West to host…

All kinds of unrest going on at the time.

Weather Underground, Hells Angels, Earth First, Black Panthers, Patty Hearst, Assassination of Marcus Foster and Dr King and the list goes on…
Catholic grade school sucked for me, but besides the nuns, it was due to the kids in the class. I lost interest and dropped out after 3rd grade. I attended through 8th grade, but did not participate. Was home schooled by my parents and self-taught. Catholic high school, on the other hand, was quite engaging for me on a social level. Most of the kids I went to grade school with did not end up going to Catholic high school. Their parents sent them to public school. Which was great for me. Went from 28 kids in my class to 250+ kids in my class. Met a lot of people the 1st couple weeks that had older siblings there as well. Huge families with large groups of friends. Everyone just seemed to get along very well. Mostly lay teachers. A few nuns in the library. 1 legendary priest taught boys' freshman theology. A couple brothers/deacons teaching as well.

Despite many misconceptions, Catholic high school teaches science and evolution. They're pretty realistic about how nature works.

Best class I ever took was comparative religion. They took us to a Mosque, Synagog, Temple, Transcendental Meditation Center, even a witch. Some forms of eastern religion. Native American. Went to other branches of Christianity too. We talked to the Rabbis, Imams, Yogis, Pastors, Ministers, you name it. Went to a different place about every week. Great eye-opener as to how other people are really just like us with only a very few minor differences of opinion: you're going to hell and we aren't. :ROFLMAO:

/ Essential Workers?
My sister in law said a child of hers would never be sent to an indoctrination school and her mom the same.

My nephew was a active kid...

Nothing bad but always active and inquisitive and questioning.

Public grade school wanted him in Ritalin and that was the last straw...

Brother was in grounds committee... used all his contacts to get landscapers, plumbers, etc to donate time materials and was shot down... had to be district Union Employees

Anyway... there good friends had 4 in Catholic school so he made the switch...

Nephew blossomed, great grades, student leader and motivated... one of the rare times sister-in-law said she had it all wrong... and the parish priest gladly accepted all the donations my brother was able to wrangle...

Of course your mileage will vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.