Essential Workers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Essential Workers? #201  
My sister in law said a child of hers would never be sent to an indoctrination school and her mom the same.

My nephew was a active kid...

Nothing bad but always active and inquisitive and questioning.

Public grade school wanted him in Ritalin and that was the last straw...

Brother was in grounds committee... used all his contacts to get landscapers, plumbers, etc to donate time materials and was shot down... had to be district Union Employees

Anyway... there good friends had 4 in Catholic school so he made the switch...

Nephew blossomed, great grades, student leader and motivated... one of the rare times sister-in-law said she had it all wrong... and the parish priest gladly accepted all the donations my brother was able to wrangle...

Of course your mileage will vary...
Yep. We sent out kids to my wife's Catholic school where she went as a child. I had my worries based on my experiences, but the staff was all lay teachers and the principal was a young nun. Had nothing but positive results on the academic side. Went through a slew of priests, though. Smaller parishes like that get the shuffle. I think it's an attempt by the diocese to get them to lose parritioners so they can close the smaller schools/facilities to incorporate into fewer administrative/physical plants to operate. Economy of scale, I guess. But the little school is still chugging along. Both of our kids ended up top in their class, participated in many sports, did very well in high school, and both said Purdue was a cake walk VS high school. :)

Both kids said they're very satisfied and grateful for our education decisions. As a parent, doesn't get much better than hearing that from your kids. 🙃

/ Essential Workers? #202  
Don't blame anyone but the schools themselves. Too much "woke" BS
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. 99% of the problems start at home.

How do we deal with issues at home? Social programs.

How many people on TBN support social programs? About ZERO.

Well, there you have it. 🙃

/ Essential Workers? #203  
I support social programs. There should be free softball, football, basketball, card playing, board games, and a lot more for the inmates. To keep them busy after they throw away the key!! :D

/ Essential Workers? #204  
I goofed off first year of high school so Dad sent me to a Military Academy.
Wow! What an amazing experience that was!

/ Essential Workers? #205  

I think most people support social programs if they work, the problem is most are never evaluated to see if they work, and when an evaluation does occur, it’s found that they don’t. This is from a New York Times piece back in 2015:

Despite decades of efforts and trillions of dollars in spending, rigorous evaluations typically find that around 75 percent of programs or practices that are intended to help people do better at school or at work have little or no effect. Studies of the early childhood education program Head Start and the substance-abuse prevention program D.A.R.E. show that even when there are benefits, they are often modest and not enduring.”

You know why private schools do so much better? It’s not better teachers or better schools (whatever that means), it’s because the kids and families actually want to be there and they value education. That’s a cultural problem that definitely starts in the home, but unless those people want to change, all the social programs in the world won’t fix it. Not only do I see no evidence of this desire to change, I see plenty actively fighting to lower academic expectations for these same children even further.

/ Essential Workers? #206  
I goofed off first year of high school so Dad sent me to a Military Academy.
Wow! What an amazing experience that was!
Our oldest wanted to go to military school because we were too strict. Would have sent them, but at $47K per year, SCUBA and Horses were extra. 🙃

/ Essential Workers? #207  
I found the receipt, it's here somewhere. It was 1967 so it wasn't much. A few went awol, wish they hadn't!

/ Essential Workers? #208  
Don't blame anyone but the schools themselves. Too much "woke" BS
A gross oversimplification if there ever was one. Not saying I agree with all the social propaganda that's being taught these days, but school board meetings are open to the public. If no one is attending them and/or voting the offending board members out, then you're part of the problem.
Best class I ever took was comparative religion. They took us to a Mosque, Synagog, Temple, Transcendental Meditation Center, even a witch. Some forms of eastern religion. Native American. Went to other branches of Christianity too. We talked to the Rabbis, Imams, Yogis, Pastors, Ministers, you name it. Went to a different place about every week. Great eye-opener as to how other people are really just like us with only a very few minor differences of opinion: you're going to hell and we aren't. :ROFLMAO:
That kind of BS is why I ditched organized religion at a young age. Doesn't matter what faith it is, the lesson being taught is if you want to go to heaven, our path is the only one there is. Stray at your own risk, and for goodness' sake don't question any of the dogma.

/ Essential Workers? #209  

You can disagree all you want. Come on out to the more liberal northeast/mid Atlantic and CA
You‘ll be shocked at what’s being taught on the coasts

/ Essential Workers? #210  
A gross oversimplification if there ever was one. Not saying I agree with all the social propaganda that's being taught these days, but school board meetings are open to the public. If no one is attending them and/or voting the offending board members out, then you're part of the problem.

That kind of BS is why I ditched organized religion at a young age. Doesn't matter what faith it is, the lesson being taught is if you want to go to heaven, our path is the only one there is. Stray at your own risk, and for goodness' sake don't question any of the dogma.

You can attend, you can even get your 2 minutes to make your protest statement. The school board will just sit there impassively and render little to no reply.

The dogma to which you refer (let’s take the 10 commandments for example) is a pretty reasonable dogma to live by.

Status
Not open for further replies.