Looking for a good compact tractor

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #1  

Reagen

Tractor
None
I'm looking for a compact tractor for 11 acres. 5 of those acres have a lot of dead trees we are looking to remove. We have goats and are looking to get more animals, and will need a tractor that can handle those. We also would like to be able to lift and pull a good amount. Any recommendations?

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #2  
New or used?Hilly or flat ground?What horse power 25,40,60,100?What size loads will you be lifting?

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #3  
What is your location?

Last edited:
   / Looking for a good compact tractor #5  
The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other specification.

The most efficient way to shop for tractors is to first identify potential tractor applications, then, through consulataton, establish bare tractor weight necessary to safely accomplish your applications. Tractor dealers, experienced tractor owners and TractorByNet.com are sources for weight recommendations.

Bare tractor weight is a fundamental tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used. Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range.

I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise which cuts through specification clutter. I have a column for cost per pound.

Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped or uneven ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. A 4" to 8" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential.

When considering a tractor purchase, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

I'm looking for a compact tractor for 11 acres. 5 of those acres have a lot of dead trees we are looking to remove.

If your land is flat and fairly smooth, and you can identify yourself as prudent, you could get by with a tractor of 2,700 to 2,900 pounds bare tractor weight and less than 26-horsepower, avoiding complex Tier IV emission paraphernalia.

If your land is sloped or rough or if you have "0" experience operating a tractor you will need an increment heavier, wider tractor of 3,600 pounds to 4,100 pounds bare tractor weight to be safe, especially in the beginning.

We would like to be able to lift and pull a good amount.

Tractors are made to PULL.

Loader lift capacity will be in proportion to bare tractor weight.
A 2,700 to 2,900 pound bare weight tractor can lift approximately 1,200 pounds with the Loader.
A 3,600 to 4,100 pound bare weight tractor can lift approximately 2,300 pounds with the Loader.

A quality dealer, reasonably close, available for coaching, is important for tractor neophytes. Most new tractors are delivered with a glitch or two requiring correction. My Kubota dealer is six miles away. I feel my local dealer continues to add value to my equipment after eight years. Dealer proximity is less important for those experienced with tractors and qualified to perform their own maintenance.

Last edited:
   / Looking for a good compact tractor #7  
Thank you.

I have owned three tractors. The first a 1,900 pound subcompact "learner" without a Loader. The second a 2,200 pound tractor-loader package. The third, my 3,500 pound Kubota L3560, is tractor nirvana in my north Florida conditions. Had I early read a thread philosophizing on tractor weight it would have stimulated tractor weight research and I would have omitted purchase of tractor #2, which proved too light for my applications. I purchased tractor #2 seduced by the allure of increased horsepower.

Last edited:
   / Looking for a good compact tractor #8  
Thank you.

I have owned three tractors. The first a 1,900 pound subcompact "learner" without a Loader. The second a 2,200 pound tractor-loader package. The third, my 3,500 pound Kubota L3560, is tractor nirvana in my north Florida conditions. Had I early read a thread philosophizing on tractor weight it would have stimulated tractor weight research and I would have omitted purchase of tractor #2, which proved too light for my applications. I purchased tractor #2 seduced by the allure of increased horsepower.
Your comments about weight are spot on. I recently bought a Yanmar YM2310 to replace my Ford 9N. Though I love the Yanmar I noticed right away how much less traction and hence pulling power it has compared to the old 9N, even though the Yanmar has slightly more horsepower. I will be adding 320 pounds of steel weight to the back wheels and some lead too hanging below the differential. Thanks for your informative post.
Eric

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #9  
I will be adding some lead too hanging below the differential.

"Loading" the tractor's rear tires with liquid will increase traction in a cost effective way.

Adding wheel weights will also increase traction, though iron weights are much more costly.

MORE ON WHEEL/TIRE BALLAST:

Consider routinely carrying around a Three Point Hitch implement as FEL counterbalance and additional wheel ballast if you need yet more traction. A considerable amount of the implement weight is transferred to the tractor wheels, both front and rear, through the Three Point Hitch.

Before your next tractor purchase consider this: Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #10  
I have a New Holland WM25 with loader that I like very much. The only thing I think is wrong with it is the exhaust is down low so I'm always breathing it in (I hope to adapt a vertical stack soon). Larger tractors in this line have a high exhaust from the factory. I chose this brand because the local dealer treated me well, whereas local Kubota and Deere dealers did not.

For 11 acres you may want something a bit bigger than 25 HP.

You may also want a cab.

Just my thoughts. Happy shopping to you!