Bad news big repair

/ Bad news big repair #231  
Gee, I remember you telling me everything you owned was pre 4. Guess you fibbed. Neither of my M's have a black box, thank goodness.
Lighten up Alice.

/ Bad news big repair #232  
As mentioned in some previous posts: TANK OR BLOCK HEATERS. A much more reasonable fix. We have a 1972 JD 3020 and 2005 JD 6603 both without glowplugs. Using the heaters we never had any trouble starting these in our WI winters. Depending on the temp, plug in time varies. Sometimes if we are in a hurry a shot of ether will help. DO NOT over do the ether.

/ Bad news big repair
As mentioned in some previous posts: TANK OR BLOCK HEATERS. A much more reasonable fix. We have a 1972 JD 3020 and 2005 JD 6603 both without glowplugs. Using the heaters we never had any trouble starting these in our WI winters. Depending on the temp, plug in time varies. Sometimes if we are in a hurry a shot of ether will help. DO NOT over do the ether.
No AC power available…..

/ Bad news big repair #234  
Well, considering that a block heater and radiator hose heater have been mentioned once or 1000 times now, I'll suggest something different. Mount one of those water heating solar panels on the roof of the tractor, connect it to the cooling system and park the tractor under the sun light. 🤣

/ Bad news big repair #235  
No AC power available…..
A $200 generator will fix the lack of AC power, it only needs to run 30 minutes,,,

The $200 generator could run three or more magnetic block heaters, thus shortening the heat prior to start time,,

I used three heaters on my 584 IH the one time I needed to get it started when it was REALLY cold,
It started in about 15 minutes. (we hardly ever get cold enough to need any kind of start aid,,)

PLUS, you have a perfect generator for your net camping trip, no need to miss the big game on the TV!!

/ Bad news big repair
A $200 generator will fix the lack of AC power, it only needs to run 30 minutes,,,

The $200 generator could run three or more magnetic block heaters, thus shortening the heat prior to start time,,

I used three heaters on my 584 IH the one time I needed to get it started when it was REALLY cold,
It started in about 15 minutes. (we hardly ever get cold enough to need any kind of start aid,,)

PLUS, you have a perfect generator for your net camping trip, no need to miss the big game on the TV!!
Yeah thats true.
I will add it to the list of possibilities
Going to try to see if corrosion of the ECU and plug fixes it first. If it doesn’t, will pursue on board DIY glow plug set up or maybe a generator to power a block heater.
I really should buy a small portable generator one of these days….

/ Bad news big repair #238  
Especially in instances of corrosion an ohm meter may not detect the problem - you need to test using voltage to see if the wire/circuit is capable of the load. In my decades of auto diagnosing I used a headlight bulb rigged with wires to test integrity of 12vdc circuits. Alot of times it's not the connection between the pins/spades in the two halves of a connector but in the crimp/solder of the wire to the said pin/spade and in severe cases even up the wire under the insulation.

/ Bad news big repair #239  
I will add it to the list of possibilities
Going to try to see if corrosion of the ECU and plug fixes it first.
After cleaning, if it cures the issue, coat the connectors with di-electric grease before reassembling the connectors. Might help. SOP for me. Always have a tube laying around.

Anything is better than a new brain box.

/ Bad news big repair #240  
Need to be careful with that use. Electronics prefer pure sine wave power that a cheapo 200 buck genny cannot provide. I have a small (2000 watt) inverter myself. Runs anything electronic flawlessly including the computer. Honda, Champion and a few others are available and very portable.